Five years to the day...

networker1884

Chelsea 6-1 Derby

Chelsea: C. Cudicini, Paulo Ferreira, R. Carvalho, © J. Terry, A. Cole, C. Makélélé, M. Ballack, F. Lampard, J. Cole, S. Kalou, N. Anelka

Subs: D. Drogba, A. Shevchenko, M. Essien, Hilário, Alex

Derby: R. Carroll, M. Edworthy, A. Stubbs, D. Moore, J. McEveley, H. Ghaly, S. Pearson, M. Sterjovski, © R. Savage, E. Lewis, K. Miller

Subs: D. Leacock, D. Jones, R. Earnshaw, L. Price, E. Villa

-                                                                               

For Derby - Robbie Savage is back - he will be part of a five man midfield with Kenny Miller playing up front on his own.

-Welcome from Stamford Bridge as Chelsea look to bounce back from defeat against Barnsley with a win over Derby (well they couldn't have asked for an easier game could they?)

1' Derby already on the back foot in the early stages - Edworthy has to be alert to get in a tackle after Kalou nearly got on the end of a low cross.

1' And we are underway....

3' OFF THE POST FROM LAMPARD - and he really should have scored too - Kalou slipped him in behind the defence and just needed to side foot home from inside the box but he rolled it onto the inside of the post.

5' And now Kenny Miller has a little half chance but his half volley goes well wide.

6' STUNNING SAVE by Carroll - he denies Cole from point blank range after a Lampard flick on but the Chelsea man was offside anyway.

9' Marc Edworthy has had a bang on the head and has had to return to the pitch with a bloody "Terry Butcheresque" bandage and a jersey without a number.

11' Derby have settled into this match a bit now but you still feel it is going to be a long, LONG night for Paul Jewell's side.

14' Chelsea's final ball needs to be a bit better - they just worked the ball well from right to left but Cole's cross was too hard.

15' Cole again races down the right wing (where he is playing tonight with Kalou on the left) and moves all the way into the box but his cross is too close to Carroll.

17' Early blow for Derby - they have been forced into a change - Stubbs fell awkwardly after shielding the ball from Anelka and has had to make way - Leacock comes in.

18' First sub and now first booking McEveley sees yellow for a bad foul on Cole (Joe)

19' Ballack hammers the ball into the next from the edge of the area but he was JUST offside.

22' And hand ball from Makelele gives Derby a free-kick in a central position 35 yards out. Lewis can only fire it straight at the wall though.

25' Nice move by Chelsea down the left - Kalou chips it into the box and then Ashley Cole with one touch looks to tee it up for Joe Cole but the winger can't direct his half volley and it goes wide.

27' PENALTY FOR CHELSEA - Leacock trips up Lampard in the box...

28' GOAL CHELSEA - Lampard calmly places the ball home after sending Carroll the wrong way. It was a clear penalty too and a silly trip for Leacock as Lampard was moving away from goal.

29' Kenny Miller of all people gets his head on a Lewis free kick and gets it on target - the problem was it was too straight though and Cudicini saves with ease.

30' Kalou and then Anelka in quick succession can't get on the end of a couple of decent Chelsea crosses.

33' Well the score may have changed but the pattern of play has not it is still a case of Chelsea trying to break past the Derby "bus" that is parked in their own box.

35' Lampard under pressure from a sliding challenge from Ghaly can only sky over a shot after a typical run into the box.

38' The game in a bit of a lull at the moment...I wouldn't blame some of the home fans going out and getting their half-time cuppa early.

42' TWO NIL FOR CHELSEA - Lampard looks to play in Anelka who outsprints Moore. Carroll comes out to clear but makes a mess of it and then Kalou is able to hit the ball into an empty net first time.

44' Superb save by Carroll to deny Kalou but it has come a minute too late you feel.

HT And there is the half-time whistle - very comfortable for Chelsea but then again, it is not as if they are playing a world class side like Barnsley.

46' And away we go with the second half.

47' A back pass to Carroll is a little short but the keeper gets there just ahead of Anelka.

49' Well the second-half again is follow a trend - Derby have just had a rare attack going forward but Eddie Lewis then crossed to nobody.

50' Lampard is found in the box he keeps looking to find space for a shot but his final effort is blocked by Leacock and flashes across the face of the goal. Joe Cole comes so close to turning it in.

51' Kalou puts in a good cross and Anelka flicks a header on but it goes just wide.

53' Looks like Derby have decided to "go for it" - Earnshaw is on for Ghaly.

57' THREE FOR CHELSEA - Great play from Anelka down the left as he puts Cole away - the winger then races into the box and right to the byline before checking it back to Lampard who has the easy task of tapping home two yards out.

58' Second change for Derby as Jones comes on for Lewis.

61' So the only real interest in this game now comes from a Fantasy perspective. I'm sure all of you with Chelsea defenders in your team are hoping for a clean sheet - I think you might be ok !!

64' And it is four - Joe Cole gets his name on the scoresheet - easy stuff again - Makelele cuts the defence with a great ball and Anelka is sent clear one-on-one. His low effort is saved by Carroll but Cole is there to place home the rebound.

66' GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLL - Frank Lampard gets to take the ball home - he has scored a hat-trick - He had all kinds of space outside of the area to line up a shot and fire home low into the corner of the net. Getting embarrasing for Derby now.

67' More bad news for Derby - Drogba's now on - Ballack makes way.

69' Carroll forced to make another save to push away Kalou as he was played through - it is like Chelsea have two or three extra players at the moment.

72' FOUR FOR LAMPARD - SIX FOR CHELSEA - Derby are just standing off Chelsea it is pathetic really - Cole set him up a nice little spin move from Lampard and he then places home another.

73' ANOTHER GOAL - but this time for Derby - Jones is found at the back post and he calmly places home. Well Derby would have half a chance if it was last goal the winner - I'd still back Chelsea though.

75' Shevchenko on for Joe Cole and Essien has also come on for Makelele

79' Chelsea showing a bit of mercy now - they seem happy to just pass it around.

83' Derby actually doing as much attacking as Chelsea now - one more and they will be right back in it - or....maybe not!

85' A late booking for McEveley

87' On last goal is the winner rules Derby are just three minutes away from a famous win!! And they look like they might hang on.

89' With this win Chelsea will now just be five points behind Arsenal with a game in hand - there are certainly back in the title race.

90+1 Drogba sees a deflected long effort go just wide.

FT And there is the full-time whistle - the right response from Chelsea after their defeat to Barnsley but Derby were truly awful once again.

Other famous results from the Rams that season:

Derby 2-2 Blackpool

Arsenal 5-0 Derby

Derby 0-5 West Ham

Derby 2-2 Sheffield Wednesday

Derby 1-4 Preston

Derby 0-6 Aston Villa

Now take a minute and remember what it was like...every game...and every insult that came with it. What's better? Slow improvement from the academy upwards? Or instant success that we had 5 years ago?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chelsea 6-1 Derby

Chelsea: C. Cudicini, Paulo Ferreira, R. Carvalho, © J. Terry, A. Cole, C. Makélélé, M. Ballack, F. Lampard, J. Cole, S. Kalou, N. Anelka

Subs: D. Drogba, A. Shevchenko, M. Essien, Hilário, Alex

Derby: R. Carroll, M. Edworthy, A. Stubbs, D. Moore, J. McEveley, H. Ghaly, S. Pearson, M. Sterjovski, © R. Savage, E. Lewis, K. Miller

Subs: D. Leacock, D. Jones, R. Earnshaw, L. Price, E. Villa

-                                                                               

For Derby - Robbie Savage is back - he will be part of a five man midfield with Kenny Miller playing up front on his own.

-Welcome from Stamford Bridge as Chelsea look to bounce back from defeat against Barnsley with a win over Derby (well they couldn't have asked for an easier game could they?)

1' Derby already on the back foot in the early stages - Edworthy has to be alert to get in a tackle after Kalou nearly got on the end of a low cross.

1' And we are underway....

3' OFF THE POST FROM LAMPARD - and he really should have scored too - Kalou slipped him in behind the defence and just needed to side foot home from inside the box but he rolled it onto the inside of the post.

5' And now Kenny Miller has a little half chance but his half volley goes well wide.

6' STUNNING SAVE by Carroll - he denies Cole from point blank range after a Lampard flick on but the Chelsea man was offside anyway.

9' Marc Edworthy has had a bang on the head and has had to return to the pitch with a bloody "Terry Butcheresque" bandage and a jersey without a number.

11' Derby have settled into this match a bit now but you still feel it is going to be a long, LONG night for Paul Jewell's side.

14' Chelsea's final ball needs to be a bit better - they just worked the ball well from right to left but Cole's cross was too hard.

15' Cole again races down the right wing (where he is playing tonight with Kalou on the left) and moves all the way into the box but his cross is too close to Carroll.

17' Early blow for Derby - they have been forced into a change - Stubbs fell awkwardly after shielding the ball from Anelka and has had to make way - Leacock comes in.

18' First sub and now first booking McEveley sees yellow for a bad foul on Cole (Joe)

19' Ballack hammers the ball into the next from the edge of the area but he was JUST offside.

22' And hand ball from Makelele gives Derby a free-kick in a central position 35 yards out. Lewis can only fire it straight at the wall though.

25' Nice move by Chelsea down the left - Kalou chips it into the box and then Ashley Cole with one touch looks to tee it up for Joe Cole but the winger can't direct his half volley and it goes wide.

27' PENALTY FOR CHELSEA - Leacock trips up Lampard in the box...

28' GOAL CHELSEA - Lampard calmly places the ball home after sending Carroll the wrong way. It was a clear penalty too and a silly trip for Leacock as Lampard was moving away from goal.

29' Kenny Miller of all people gets his head on a Lewis free kick and gets it on target - the problem was it was too straight though and Cudicini saves with ease.

30' Kalou and then Anelka in quick succession can't get on the end of a couple of decent Chelsea crosses.

33' Well the score may have changed but the pattern of play has not it is still a case of Chelsea trying to break past the Derby "bus" that is parked in their own box.

35' Lampard under pressure from a sliding challenge from Ghaly can only sky over a shot after a typical run into the box.

38' The game in a bit of a lull at the moment...I wouldn't blame some of the home fans going out and getting their half-time cuppa early.

42' TWO NIL FOR CHELSEA - Lampard looks to play in Anelka who outsprints Moore. Carroll comes out to clear but makes a mess of it and then Kalou is able to hit the ball into an empty net first time.

44' Superb save by Carroll to deny Kalou but it has come a minute too late you feel.

HT And there is the half-time whistle - very comfortable for Chelsea but then again, it is not as if they are playing a world class side like Barnsley.

46' And away we go with the second half.

47' A back pass to Carroll is a little short but the keeper gets there just ahead of Anelka.

49' Well the second-half again is follow a trend - Derby have just had a rare attack going forward but Eddie Lewis then crossed to nobody.

50' Lampard is found in the box he keeps looking to find space for a shot but his final effort is blocked by Leacock and flashes across the face of the goal. Joe Cole comes so close to turning it in.

51' Kalou puts in a good cross and Anelka flicks a header on but it goes just wide.

53' Looks like Derby have decided to "go for it" - Earnshaw is on for Ghaly.

57' THREE FOR CHELSEA - Great play from Anelka down the left as he puts Cole away - the winger then races into the box and right to the byline before checking it back to Lampard who has the easy task of tapping home two yards out.

58' Second change for Derby as Jones comes on for Lewis.

61' So the only real interest in this game now comes from a Fantasy perspective. I'm sure all of you with Chelsea defenders in your team are hoping for a clean sheet - I think you might be ok !!

64' And it is four - Joe Cole gets his name on the scoresheet - easy stuff again - Makelele cuts the defence with a great ball and Anelka is sent clear one-on-one. His low effort is saved by Carroll but Cole is there to place home the rebound.

66' GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLL - Frank Lampard gets to take the ball home - he has scored a hat-trick - He had all kinds of space outside of the area to line up a shot and fire home low into the corner of the net. Getting embarrasing for Derby now.

67' More bad news for Derby - Drogba's now on - Ballack makes way.

69' Carroll forced to make another save to push away Kalou as he was played through - it is like Chelsea have two or three extra players at the moment.

72' FOUR FOR LAMPARD - SIX FOR CHELSEA - Derby are just standing off Chelsea it is pathetic really - Cole set him up a nice little spin move from Lampard and he then places home another.

73' ANOTHER GOAL - but this time for Derby - Jones is found at the back post and he calmly places home. Well Derby would have half a chance if it was last goal the winner - I'd still back Chelsea though.

75' Shevchenko on for Joe Cole and Essien has also come on for Makelele

79' Chelsea showing a bit of mercy now - they seem happy to just pass it around.

83' Derby actually doing as much attacking as Chelsea now - one more and they will be right back in it - or....maybe not!

85' A late booking for McEveley

87' On last goal is the winner rules Derby are just three minutes away from a famous win!! And they look like they might hang on.

89' With this win Chelsea will now just be five points behind Arsenal with a game in hand - there are certainly back in the title race.

90+1 Drogba sees a deflected long effort go just wide.

FT And there is the full-time whistle - the right response from Chelsea after their defeat to Barnsley but Derby were truly awful once again.

Other famous results from the Rams that season:

Derby 2-2 Blackpool

Arsenal 5-0 Derby

Derby 0-5 West Ham

Derby 2-2 Sheffield Wednesday

Derby 1-4 Preston

Derby 0-6 Aston Villa

Now take a minute and remember what it was like...every game...and every insult that came with it. What's better? Slow improvement from the academy upwards? Or instant success that we had 5 years ago?

We're into our 4th season under Clough with an equally weak fractured squad, debt going up, attendances going down, and our academy prospects looking likely to be sold (Hughes), and we are only 4 or 5 points of relegation, so we aren't improving, if anything things are getting worse.

2001-2 season march 16 Bolton 1 derby 3 PL

2000-1 season march 3 derby 2 spurs 1 PL

2000-1 season march 18 Liverpool 1 derby 1

Your point being that we should fear the PL based upon 1 season

2001-2 season march 16 Bolton 1 derby 3 PL

2000-1 season march 3 derby 2 spurs 1 PL

2000-1 season march 18 Liverpool 1 derby 1

Your point being that we should fear the PL based upon 1 season

No, not sure why you think that. Basically just saying that I'm happier now than I was 5 years ago. Saying that I believe slow progression can be better than instant success.

I went to the game, thought Chelsea were fantastic on the night and Davey Jones goal was brilliant! 

In this game..

Frank Lampard showed me how intelligent he is, on and off the ball - different class.

The Chelsea defence had undeniable quality, and we scored - one I wasn't expecting.

Kalou looked incredible... Makelele as good as ever! 

but in this game, I promise I will NEVER forget the performance Joe Cole put in, he was on another level from anyone else... definitely one of the best individual performances I have ever seen, top notch! 

Derby were laughable, but what did we expect look at that team...  :lol:

No, not sure why you think that. Basically just saying that I'm happier now than I was 5 years ago. Saying that I believe slow progression can be better than instant success.

Not always though, your pointed to an instance where we had the worst season in our or anyone's history.

Why didn't you refer to when cox got us promoted twice on the bounce, and we enjoyed two good seasons after, highlighting that instant success can bring rewards.

As bad as it was, this season is probably one of my favourites... basically the atmosphere was outstanding, being a Derby fan that season was something to be proud of, because we did ourselves proud - regardless of who was playing for the club, the fans were fantastic. I missed 2 games out of that whole season (including very quick cup apps) but I was much happier as a fan then, than I am now... but the team is better set now than it was then.

2007 derby fans would look at 2013 derby fans and be ashamed I am sure.

The thing that saddens me about the original post is seeing Mark Edworthy in the line up. The poor buggar shouldn't have been anywhere near that team. I liked him in the Championship, thought he did a good job and was a honest professional, feel sorry for him to be in that team. Same goes for big Dave too probably. 

Not always though, your pointed to an instance where we had the worst season in our or anyone's history.

Why didn't you refer to when cox got us promoted twice on the bounce, and we enjoyed two good seasons after, highlighting that instant success can bring rewards.

Yes, because it's relevant. I'm reminding people where we've come from and why what's happening isn't a bad thing. I'm not saying we can only be successful through slow and steady progress, I'm saying that's what is happening and we can get success out of it.

We're into our 4th season under Clough with an equally weak fractured squad, debt going up, attendances going down, and our academy prospects looking likely to be sold (Hughes), and we are only 4 or 5 points of relegation, so we aren't improving, if anything things are getting worse.

Equally fractured? Only "4 or 5 points of relegation [sic]"?

What?

For one we are 6 points off the relegation places, and due to our goal difference effectively 7 points off.

Archived