I predicted top half at the beginning of the season

blackNwhites

...and if we don't achieve that, I'd consider this season a failure and hugely disappointing.

You can't get away from it, the past month or so has been massively disappointing. Not helped by injuries of course and a natural born goal scorer. We've lacked that the whole season.

If we didn't have a spell like this every season, would some of you be so dramatic in your negativity towards Clough and the rest of the staff? 

I'm really gutted with our run of form, everything looked so sweet. Just as we get to near where we want to be, we fall away.

We've thrown away a lot of leads this season, we've had many a chance this season. No natural scorer.

Is all we need a natural born scorer and a decent defender?

Paolo Di Canio is not the answer.

The statistics this season tell an interesting story. The problem we've had this season is in defence, not in attack. We're scoring at a decent, and we're scoring at the best rate that we have since Clough has been here, the issues are very much in defence, which is understandable all things considered. We're scoring in most of our games, around 78%, up from 65% last year and 67% in the previous two seasons. The concern is conceding goals, we've conceded 84% of our games, which is up from 74% last year, 78% in 10-11 and 65% in Clough's first full season.

The key area, as it has been, is at leftback, and at centrehalf. We've got options in O'Brien and Buxton, but both are injured far too often meaning that Keogh has had to play with multiple partners across the season, including Brayford. If Barker isn't going to be fit for the start of next season unless Gjokaj really steps up in the offseason and is demanding a place then we'd have to think of another partner for Keogh and see a return of Barker as a bonus rather than a need.

Adding a goalscorer up front would be nice, but it really isn't the key issue for the side. If we can sort out leftback and centrehalf properly, then we can look to that goal scorer, but to neglect the defence to chase more strikers would be leaving the house to burn whilst you tend to your roses. I'm sure the club has targets in mind though, and we'll see what summer holds.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The statistics this season tell an interesting story. The problem we've had this season is in defence, not in attack. We're scoring at a decent, and we're scoring at the best rate that we have since Clough has been here, the issues are very much in defence, which is understandable all things considered. We're scoring in most of our games, around 78%, up from 65% last year and 67% in the previous two seasons. The concern is conceding goals, we've conceded 84% of our games, which is up from 74% last year, 78% in 10-11 and 65% in Clough's first full season.The key area, as it has been, is at leftback, and at centrehalf. We've got options in O'Brien and Buxton, but both are injured far too often meaning that Keogh has had to play with multiple partners across the season, including Brayford. If Barker isn't going to be fit for the start of next season unless Gjokaj really steps up in the offseason and is demanding a place then we'd have to think of another partner for Keogh and see a return of Barker as a bonus rather than a need.Adding a goalscorer up front would be nice, but it really isn't the key issue for the side. If we can sort out leftback and centrehalf properly, then we can look to that goal scorer, but to neglect the defence to chase more strikers would be leaving the house to burn whilst you tend to your roses. I'm sure the club has targets in mind though, and we'll see what summer holds.

It's Keoghs fault, he got Coventry relegated.

It's Keoghs fault, he got Coventry relegated.

So how is it being a troll then?

I mean, we could talk about chopping and changing the defence, ageing left back, more attacking play or anything else, but no, let's blame Keogh eh? I mean, it's not like Coventry's defence was actually quite decent last year, having conceded only 1 more than us and the same number as a team that finished 5th and made the playoff final...

The statistics this season tell an interesting story. The problem we've had this season is in defence, not in attack. We're scoring at a decent, and we're scoring at the best rate that we have since Clough has been here, the issues are very much in defence, which is understandable all things considered. We're scoring in most of our games, around 78%, up from 65% last year and 67% in the previous two seasons. The concern is conceding goals, we've conceded 84% of our games, which is up from 74% last year, 78% in 10-11 and 65% in Clough's first full season.

The key area, as it has been, is at leftback, and at centrehalf. We've got options in O'Brien and Buxton, but both are injured far too often meaning that Keogh has had to play with multiple partners across the season, including Brayford. If Barker isn't going to be fit for the start of next season unless Gjokaj really steps up in the offseason and is demanding a place then we'd have to think of another partner for Keogh and see a return of Barker as a bonus rather than a need.

Adding a goalscorer up front would be nice, but it really isn't the key issue for the side. If we can sort out leftback and centrehalf properly, then we can look to that goal scorer, but to neglect the defence to chase more strikers would be leaving the house to burn whilst you tend to your roses. I'm sure the club has targets in mind though, and we'll see what summer holds.

Since Saturday, I've paid it more thought and understand what you're saying about our attacking prowess. I still think we are missing something up there though, wether it be a natural born goal scoring striker or a midfielder that chips in with more goals than Bryson.

Our defence is appalling though. You can more or less guarantee we're going to concede in a game. I'm not entirely blaming Keogh for our defensive problems, but he's certainly played his own part in that. I remember watching the highlights for the away game at Palace, and literally couldn't believe how they ran rings around our captain. When we score goals, he looks similar to young child in the way that he celebrates. Maying I'm harsh on him, it's just not what I like to see in a captain. I like to see composure, something I think he massively lacks.

Like you say though, a few smart additions in the defensive part of the squad and things might change. If Keogh played alongside a natural captain, his own form would perhaps improve. We would at least be able to hold onto leads. 

I'd want someone that can finish off our ridiculous amount of chances, though. We have had so many this season. You say we're up on previous seasons by 10%, I think we should be higher.

So how is it being a troll then?I mean, we could talk about chopping and changing the defence, ageing left back, more attacking play or anything else, but no, let's blame Keogh eh? I mean, it's not like Coventry's defence was actually quite decent last year, having conceded only 1 more than us and the same number as a team that finished 5th and made the playoff final...

Keogh has been awful in recent games I giving away the ball which means we have conceded late goals, he did the same for Coventry. I'm a troll? You're clueless. How can say that a team that got relegated has pretty decent defense?

Keogh has been awful in recent games I giving away the ball which means we have conceded late goals, he did the same for Coventry. I'm a troll? You're clueless. How can say that a team that got relegated has pretty decent defense?

Because they didn't concede that many goals. It was a lack of fire power up front that got Coventry relegated, not a poor defence. Surely something as simple as that should be lost on you now should it?

Player can have a run of poor form without being poor players as well, Keogh has been good over the course of the season, and in difficult circumstances without a permanent partner. Keogh certainly isn't the problem.

Since Saturday, I've paid it more thought and understand what you're saying about our attacking prowess. I still think we are missing something up there though, wether it be a natural born goal scoring striker or a midfielder that chips in with more goals than Bryson.

Our defence is appalling though. You can more or less guarantee we're going to concede in a game. I'm not entirely blaming Keogh for our defensive problems, but he's certainly played his own part in that. I remember watching the highlights for the away game at Palace, and literally couldn't believe how they ran rings around our captain. When we score goals, he looks similar to young child in the way that he celebrates. Maying I'm harsh on him, it's just not what I like to see in a captain. I like to see composure, something I think he massively lacks.

Like you say though, a few smart additions in the defensive part of the squad and things might change. If Keogh played alongside a natural captain, his own form would perhaps improve. We would at least be able to hold onto leads. 

I'd want someone that can finish off our ridiculous amount of chances, though. We have had so many this season. You say we're up on previous seasons by 10%, I think we should be higher.

Keogh's form seems to have dipped, but he did a good job earlier in the season and has been a good player overall for us. I think part of the issue is who his partner is. A good defence starts with a good centrehalf pairing, and importantly, a good centrehalf pairing that have time to settle together. We've not had the luxury of having a settled defence in a long time, but in short periods that we've had one it's been good, and we've seen good form on the back of it.

I agree that a natural goalscorer would be the kind of player who could add something, but it becomes a question of priorities, the defence is clearly the priority at this point, but if we can get that sorted, then that natural goalscorer would be nice. The question then becomes about how the team would line up next season, and although I doubt it's a particularly popular thing to say, I'm almost certain that Sammon will start next season as a first choice striker up front. As things stand he's pretty much on course for what I thought he'd get goals wise this season, but his form has come and gone. When playing well he does a lot for the team, but on his off days...

Hopefully with a season under his belt we'll see even more from him next year, and if we can get a striker to play along side of him, or keep Jamie there, it would be nice. Personally though I still like the idea of Ward on the left, but I think those days are gone now that he's been scoring freely for us. The question then becomes who do you drop for a natural goal scorer, as that's the kind of job Jamie does up front now, and having two players to 'finish the chances' is as silly as having a centre mid partnership of two playmakers.

I'd again say though that a leftback is the key signing, and I hope that the club make sure they get the right player for that position for the long term rather than a stop gap.

Keogh's form seems to have dipped, but he did a good job earlier in the season and has been a good player overall for us. I think part of the issue is who his partner is. A good defence starts with a good centrehalf pairing, and importantly, a good centrehalf pairing that have time to settle together. We've not had the luxury of having a settled defence in a long time, but in short periods that we've had one it's been good, and we've seen good form on the back of it.

I agree that a natural goalscorer would be the kind of player who could add something, but it becomes a question of priorities, the defence is clearly the priority at this point, but if we can get that sorted, then that natural goalscorer would be nice. The question then becomes about how the team would line up next season, and although I doubt it's a particularly popular thing to say, I'm almost certain that Sammon will start next season as a first choice striker up front. As things stand he's pretty much on course for what I thought he'd get goals wise this season, but his form has come and gone. When playing well he does a lot for the team, but on his off days...

Hopefully with a season under his belt we'll see even more from him next year, and if we can get a striker to play along side of him, or keep Jamie there, it would be nice. Personally though I still like the idea of Ward on the left, but I think those days are gone now that he's been scoring freely for us. The question then becomes who do you drop for a natural goal scorer, as that's the kind of job Jamie does up front now, and having two players to 'finish the chances' is as silly as having a centre mid partnership of two playmakers.

I'd again say though that a leftback is the key signing, and I hope that the club make sure they get the right player for that position for the long term rather than a stop gap.

Considering we've got Forsyth and Martin on loan, one a LB/LM and the other a forward, I guess we've got a fair idea of who we might have in those respective positions next season. This suggests a 4-3-3, which I think they started off with before Jamie Ward was injured again. Obviously, Wardy can drop deeper to create the 4-4-2, or maybe a 4-3-1-2?

When Ward first got here on loan, wasn't he playing in the hole behind whoever we had up top, Davies/Theo?

Anyway, Forsyth and Martin are cheap first team options. For at least the first 45 minutes of the games they've started we've seen a bit of promise from them.

Then I guess we're in the dark about the 'Shaun Barker' type signings.

The like is for that. It's something I've noticed as well. When we score he goes mad which is no bad thing, when we concede he goes mad, which is not great, especially if it's his fault we've conceded. I like the captain to be demonstrative but not in that way. I also like the captain to be the hard man who gets the crowd going with a wipe out challenge. I don't think Keogh has that in his locker.

I rate him as a player though just wonder if we need a different type of captain for this stage of the developement, or if it's because he hasn't had a settled partner. Ironically we've got a team full of captains and a team full of player of the seasons but we've not got a real "leader". Maybe it's a bit too much for him to be the lynchpin of the defence, the starting point of our build up play and the "coach" to the young kids as well.

The defending overall is the issue and that's what I mean by I don't know who's fault it is. Is it the back four? The goalkeeper? Is it Roberts on his own? The backfour have made some colossal screw ups that can't just be ignored. Roberts and Legzdins conceding from a back post cross they both lost is unforgivable.

Or is defending bigger than that?

While people can point out that Clough singles out Jacobs for too much criticism for example, I've watched him a dozen times this year leave a leg hanging to try and stop the crosses coming in. He's got to do more more. It's not always the left back to blame. I've seen us foul the same player three times in the same game in the same spot giving them 3 opportunites to put the ball in our box. Eventually leading to their goal before half time. Two of those 3 fouls were Jeff and you can hear them screaming "stand up" from the touchline.

That's what I mean when I say it's individual errors which can and should be shut out. If the midfielders can't learn that they have to do more to help the  full backs it's no wonder they'll be left out. Not because Clough doesn't like him or has fallen out with him but because he can't follow simple instructions.

We've got to stop conceding cheap goals. Easy and as simplified as it sounds. I'm starting to have doubts that we've got a consistently good first choice back four within the club right now. If Shaun comes back it all changes but that's a lot of pressure on a guy who may or not come back as good as he was.

I think I read from West London Ram that Sam Rush has said already we'll be signing a centre half and a left back in the summer.

Both are desperately needed.

Considering we've got Forsyth and Martin on loan, one a LB/LM and the other a forward, I guess we've got a fair idea of who we might have in those respective positions next season. This suggests a 4-3-3, which I think they started off with before Jamie Ward was injured again. Obviously, Wardy can drop deeper to create the 4-4-2, or maybe a 4-3-1-2?

When Ward first got here on loan, wasn't he playing in the hole behind whoever we had up top, Davies/Theo?

Anyway, Forsyth and Martin are cheap first team options. For at least the first 45 minutes of the games they've started we've seen a bit of promise from them.

Then I guess we're in the dark about the 'Shaun Barker' type signings.

I don't think Forsyth is the long term left back option, I think he really is here as a midfield option. Who knows though.

The like is for that. It's something I've noticed as well. When we score he goes mad which is no bad thing, when we concede he goes mad, which is not great, especially if it's his fault we've conceded. I like the captain to be demonstrative but not in that way. I also like the captain to be the hard man who gets the crowd going with a wipe out challenge. I don't think Keogh has that in his locker.

I rate him as a player though just wonder if we need a different type of captain for this stage of the developement, or if it's because he hasn't had a settled partner. Ironically we've got a team full of captains and a team full of player of the seasons but we've not got a real "leader". Maybe it's a bit too much for him to be the lynchpin of the defence, the starting point of our build up play and the "coach" to the young kids as well.

The defending overall is the issue and that's what I mean by I don't know who's fault it is. Is it the back four? The goalkeeper? Is it Roberts on his own? The backfour have made some colossal screw ups that can't just be ignored. Roberts and Legzdins conceding from a back post cross they both lost is unforgivable.

Or is defending bigger than that?

While people can point out that Clough singles out Jacobs for too much criticism for example, I've watched him a dozen times this year leave a leg hanging to try and stop the crosses coming in. He's got to do more more. It's not always the left back to blame. I've seen us foul the same player three times in the same game in the same spot giving them 3 opportunites to put the ball in our box. Eventually leading to their goal before half time. Two of those 3 fouls were Jeff and you can hear them screaming "stand up" from the touchline.

That's what I mean when I say it's individual errors which can and should be shut out. If the midfielders can't learn that they have to do more to help the  full backs it's no wonder they'll be left out. Not because Clough doesn't like him or has fallen out with him but because he can't follow simple instructions.

We've got to stop conceding cheap goals. Easy and as simplified as it sounds. I'm starting to have doubts that we've got a consistently good first choice back four within the club right now. If Shaun comes back it all changes but that's a lot of pressure on a guy who may or not come back as good as he was.

I think I read from West London Ram that Sam Rush has said already we'll be signing a centre half and a left back in the summer.

Both are desperately needed.

You mention Jeff there, he's much better going forward. He's been a revelation since he's found his attacking feet, his decision making lacks at times but it's great to see him charging forward. Better than Bryson going forward. One of them has to do the defensive duties as well, don't think either are good enough for that.

Shaun Barker, we shouldn't expect much from him really. Glad he's still around the club though, a proper captain. Hope everything works out well for him.

The problem is definitely the players.. they're no where near good enough. They try hard, and that much I can appreciate but all in all, they are not good enough - some are young, some will improve and I can appreciate that, but them playing every week will certainly hurt us short term.

I predicted 18th at the start of the season, which is roughly where the quality of our squad lies... if we finish above that, I give me very under-whelmed slightly bemused well done. 

The only probably with being the players fault is that the manager has brought them in, he'll have to take some responsibility then.

Need improvements in goalkeeper, centre back, left back, right midfield, left midfield and two strikers next season.

Another rebuilding year, wish we can get a settled squad once! :(

GK

Brayford

Keogh (on last warning!)

New CB

New LB

MF

Hughes

Hendrick

New RF

New CF

Ward

Subs

Lego/Fielding (both too error prone for me, prefer Lego)

OB

Freeman

Bryson

Jacobs

Sammon (NC won't dispose of him)

Bennett

Loan Morch out. O'Connor, Ben Davies, Hoganson, Gjokaj, Coutts back-up

Deeney, Ball, Bailey, Atkins, Tyson, Theo to go, Roberts to retire.

Happy with Martin, but Forsyth is a short term option by the looks of it.

May make a couple of more signings, but please make them so they are intended to be better than starting 11, unless there is no point!

I work in Coventry and know a lot of Sky Blues fans - who were all absolutely gutted when he left. To suggest that he was to blame for Coventry being relegated is

a. laughable

b. par for the course

I work in Coventry and know a lot of Sky Blues fans - who were all absolutely gutted when he left. To suggest that he was to blame for Coventry being relegated is

a. laughable

b. par for the course

I went to one Coventry game in the 2005/06 season so I think I'm more experienced than you on Coventry, and I one met a Coventry fan.

The only probably with being the players fault is that the manager has brought them in, he'll have to take some responsibility then.

Need improvements in goalkeeper, centre back, left back, right midfield, left midfield and two strikers next season.

Another rebuilding year, wish we can get a settled squad once! :(

GK

Brayford

Keogh (on last warning!)

New CB

New LB

MF

Hughes

Hendrick

New RF

New CF

Ward

Subs

Lego/Fielding (both too error prone for me, prefer Lego)

OB

Freeman

Bryson

Jacobs

Sammon (NC won't dispose of him)

Bennett

Loan Morch out. O'Connor, Ben Davies, Hoganson, Gjokaj, Coutts back-up

Deeney, Ball, Bailey, Atkins, Tyson, Theo to go, Roberts to retire.

Happy with Martin, but Forsyth is a short term option by the looks of it.

May make a couple of more signings, but please make them so they are intended to be better than starting 11, unless there is no point!

I agree, with that... Coutts I like, he can do 'a job' he comes under 'good championship player' what you'd expect of a team that is between 12th and 15th in all honesty. Like I said before, the manager and board, not to mention the scouting network...etc have to shoulder the blame on this one, we have to take gambles because the money isn't there - but the strategy of how the gambles are taken need to be better! 

I would improve the scouting network, no end... and basically would just try HARDER to improve the team, bit more effort is needed from everyone involved, probably a few more scouts - which lets face it isn't a hard job... there is a few people on here that I would happily give a role to, just need more eyes watching around the leagues/europe...etc  

Like I said before, the manager and board, not to mention the scouting network...etc have to shoulder the blame on this one, we have to take gambles because the money isn't there - but the strategy of how the gambles are taken need to be better! 

I would improve the scouting network, no end... and basically would just try HARDER to improve the team, bit more effort is needed from everyone involved, probably a few more scouts - which lets face it isn't a hard job... there is a few people on here that I would happily give a role to, just need more eyes watching around the leagues/europe...etc  

If we did that we wouldn't be able to guarantee that we got the right players in, ones that fit in with our 'team ethic', that wouldn't disrupt our tight knit squad, ones with the right attitude, y'know, players like Tyson, Robinson, Shackell, McGuire, Bailey, Martin, Kuqi, Croft etc. etc. etc.

Archived