Sam Rush and Flagman trying too hard?

you-rams

I think the thing about the Popside was that it was a place where a lot of lads who played Sunday League football tended to congregate.They knew what it was like to play in the freezing cold,in the wind and rain and on the bobbly pitches.They knew what it was like to play with a knock,and to lash a ball over the bar that had hit a divot.There'd also be a lot of working class lads,many of whom had boring,repetitive jobs in factories and a Saturday afternoon was their release and something to look  forward to all week.I think there was more affection for, and tolerance toward, the players.I understood it because I came from a working class background and played a bit myself. An ill fated move to the stands in later life brought it home to me-couldn't wait to get back there.

These lads still exist,but are probably more dispersed-current stadia simply can't replicate (anywhere near) the conditions of old.

Anyway,full marks to Nick for all his efforts.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the thing about the Popside was that it was a place where a lot of lads who played Sunday League football tended to congregate.They knew what it was like to play in the freezing cold,in the wind and rain and on the bobbly pitches.They knew what it was like to play with a knock,and to lash a ball over the bar that had hit a divot.There'd also be a lot of working class lads,many of whom had boring,repetitive jobs in factories and a Saturday afternoon was their release and something to look forward to all week.I think there was more affection for, and tolerance toward, the players.I understood it because I came from a working class background and played a bit myself. An ill fated move to the stands in later life brought it home to me-couldn't wait to get back there.

These lads still exist,but are probably more dispersed-current stadia simply can't replicate (anywhere near) the conditions of old.

Anyway,full marks to Nick for all his efforts.

No PP can not replicate the popside. But clubs have been guided down this road by governments wanting to clean up the image of this country and it's national sport. The problem is they haven't got a clue about it. In posts i've read on this forum. Turning up at cambridge in tranny vans and 20 lads jumping out the back. Problem now days is people get banned for being pissed in a tranny van. The governments have clamped down and it's ruined the saturday day out with the lads. It's now take a bottle of perrier water. Wtf is all that about?

No PP can not replicate the popside. But clubs have been guided down this road by governments wanting to clean up the image of this country and it's national sport. The problem is they haven't got a clue about it. In posts i've read on this forum. Turning up at cambridge in tranny vans and 20 lads jumping out the back. Problem now days is people get banned for being pissed in a tranny van. The governments have clamped down and it's ruined the saturday day out with the lads. It's now take a bottle of perrier water. Wtf is all that about?

You'd like this from "The Golden Vision"-different era. The whole lot's a decent watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ7AADRwVME

oh yeah, we all buy tickets so you can buy the last one cheap.

Jog forth

Unless you mean like on bid tv on the shopping Channel, everyone pays the lowest price.

It won't happen though.

Something similar to that. Not so the first get dicked on.

• 4 months later...

I've given up on singing myself. I used to join in every song no matter how ***** or how few people sung it. Now I just can't be bothered.Pride Park is a massive dump. I detest the place. It's nothing like 'home'. In fact the only time it makes noise is when it's booing or moaning.Football died when it started catering and pampering to people who thought they'd jump on a bandwagon.I can't believe grown men wave when they're on a big screen. "Look I'm on telly".... What are you doing? How old are you people? Next it'll be the love heart where it zooms in on couples.Why are you going home at 1-1 with 10 mins to play? To beat traffic? Have a think about it?Put your phone down, stop talking to your mate about Gareth Bale's goal v WHU. Put the same effort into backing the team as you do I to booing.Stop encouraging that **** in the Ram costume to dance around like a pi55ed Uncle at a wedding. Support the bloody team. Every year there's a thread on how many people enjoyed the atmosphere v Forest (except this year because even Forest and Leeds are rubbish now). But the very next week you're sat down waiting for somebody else to do something. Get up. Sing. Don't sit and moan about everything.We're a mid table Championship side. No it's not a constant funfair but its not worth sitting staring into your lap. It makes it worse. If you don't want to sing then that's fine. There's a whole stand that's built for spectating. But the majority of people are stuck in a brain dead routine that has sucked whatever life was in that pantomime ground.Me too now. It's done me. I can't be arsed. Friday was the last straw. Forest atmosphere - garbage. Leeds - garbage. Friday night - Crystal Palace - "is this a library?" ...... Wait, what's that? Booing? The loudest noise of the night?We played good football at the start of the season. We were sniffing around the play offs. Yet it's been terrible this season for noise. What will wake the dump up? Top of the league? Free flowing direct on the floor football? Bloody hell.I don't think I'll get an ST next year now. The casual fans and the ridiculous American experience have killed it for me. I realise I might sound mardy, I am, but it's because it's something I value. It's the passionate and tribal side of football that identifies Derby to me and those days are gone. It doesn't give me any enjoyment any more. I admire Nick and Co who keep trying against the odds. I hate everything about modern football. We don't celebrate anything anymore. We don't take pride in ourselves as fans. We sit and wait for something to inspire us. Why not try inspiring. But the minute a pass goes astray suddenly there's some passion? What's that about?I won't miss pop music, two minute warning, ball kids, Kids reading names, ironic chants, casual fans, goal music and "we pay your wages" arrogance. I won't miss a thing from the dead Coventry City FC bowl. It's a terrible sequel to the BBG. Worse days could be ahead. Take pride in the support even if the football is Zzzz. It's just not 'home'.

Did you get a ST?

Just curious

Did you get a ST?

Just curious

No mate, I haven't renewed but the temptation to get one is massive now. You forget how miserable our football season usually gets. Pooh team away and pooh fans at home.

I guess you've not gone back for one either? Do you not suffer summer optimism? It's less than usual for me but its creeping up. Especially after being introduced to Hughes last season. Lovely to watch.

But I'm trying to stick to my guns and I'm doing it by constantly reminding myself what a dump pride park is. I'd rather go away games and pick and choose cheap home ones.

If there was an away season ticket I'd probably have one

Those cheap seats were a big draw. I actually we all set to get one but work and life got in the way. Now they're all gone and its time to keep strong.

Pride Park is a dump, Pride Park is a dump, Pride Park is a dump, Pride Park is a dump, Pride Park is a dump...etc

No, a season ticket for away games, you pay x amount, and they post your away tickets to you about 3 weeks before the game.

I didnt even know!! Lol.

Although I can see problems now. Tuesday night away games miles and miles away

Well I'm looking forward to the new season, even if the Brunny has changed brewery's and put up their prices.

Changed their website too. Nothing on it any more.

No, a season ticket for away games, you pay x amount, and they post your away tickets to you about 3 weeks before the game.

I did it in the 09/10 season, couldn't afford to do it again but got to visit a few grounds I hadn't been too. Shame the away from was abysmal too!

Well I'm looking forward to the new season, even if the Brunny has changed brewery's and put up their prices.

What?

s'appened wi' Brunny then? Changed brewery?

You conna just throw that in casual like without a bit more info. Its potentially devastating news. Should have a thread of its own.

Me to, even more now I wont be able to see you from my seat anymore :p

Archived