is the 'Derby County way' working?

Shake n Bake

I'll begin by saying, personally, I feel the club is slightly under achieving this season. We should be building on our finish last season, but currently we're in a rut that could well see us finishing in the bottom half.

We all know the board are trying to cut the wage bill and build on the youth system, but is it working?

We seem to be repeating the same form each season. We start quite strong, then seem to go through a stage where we can't buy a win. Is this because of a lack of experience in the squad or perhaps a sign of players 'not up to the job'.

I'm not here to slate Clough, the defense or even our short of confidence striker. What are your opinions on the 'Derby County way'?? Is it working? Are we destined for Mid-table premier league, or are we destined for trouble?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's working, it's sounds so simple but it is just the case of signing 1-2 top, top players. 

There's only been 1-2 games where we've come away from the match thinking "Yeah, we got battered and deserved to lose" 

If we keep our best players and sign a few players then we'll be in the Play-offs next season. 

I think we are a long way off being a play off set up. I believe we are 4 or 5 good players off being a side. It's not just the starting 11 but the squad, in the final 3rd we lack any quality and sadly that costs money which we haven't got.

The danger we face is that the project is so slow that before it works our best players will be off, and we'll be back to square one.

I think the squad needs four or five quality additions to be capable of sustaining a season-long challenge. Problem is clough doesn't want a larger squad, and those quality additions will cost money.

And if I'm honest, even with those extra players, nothing I've seen from the management in the last four years convinces me they themselves are capable of sustaining a season-long challenge.

So in relation to the OP's question, I don't think we are headed for either at the moment, but most likely just wallowing around where we are now.

I do believe it is working but very slowly and it isn't helped that (in my opinion) the owners are not giving NC just a little more backing for transfer business.

Totally agree and I can't see any great improvement in the near future. So, oddly enough, I haven't raised my expectations to an unrealistic level. Perhaps I should. So........

Everyone out, all players, the Board, Management and particularly all fans who remain loyal. There you go, that should start us off on a new regime. Let's bring Mourinho in and have some decent players. To hell with the financial side, what's that got to do with football. I want the best players and I don't care how much they cost as long as none of them ever misses a penalty, fails to head a corner away or misplaces a pass. Sounds pretty easy to me.

Depends who you mean it's working for. 

Us, fans? Not really. Unbelievably slow progress. Admittedly there's no rush to get the PL, stagnating a little like we are hits fans hard. 

Nige? Maybe, not terrible but not great either. Unbeaten against Forest.. majority of fans still on side. Not alot of pressure. 

The board? Who knows. They're in no rush to throw a war chest at Nige it seems, its their slow strategy.  If they wanted results quicker surely they would bring in someone who they think could do a better job than Clough. 

I'll begin by saying, personally, I feel the club is slightly under achieving this season. We should be building on our finish last season, but currently we're in a rut that could well see us finishing in the bottom half.

We all know the board are trying to cut the wage bill and build on the youth system, but is it working?

We seem to be repeating the same form each season. We start quite strong, then seem to go through a stage where we can't buy a win. Is this because of a lack of experience in the squad or perhaps a sign of players 'not up to the job'.

I'm not here to slate Clough, the defense or even our short of confidence striker. What are your opinions on the 'Derby County way'?? Is it working? Are we destined for Mid-table premier league, or are we destined for trouble?

Yes, it's obviously working. Look at Hughes. What, 8m?9m?10m? That sounds like a plan that's working to me. Hendrick...3m?4m?5m? Yep, definately working. Mason Bennet? 

Sorry but I can't understand how you don't realise what's going on here. We have a squad value of £20m depending who you talk to. To say that it wasn't worth buttons 3 or 4 years ago is a staggering statement to where we've come.

The academy is working...it is working magnificently. Yes we lost yesterday, but by God if Clough's not getting us points then he's getting us money...and a lot of it.

Yes, it's obviously working. Look at Hughes. What, 8m?9m?10m? That sounds like a plan that's working to me. Hendrick...3m?4m?5m? Yep, definately working. Mason Bennet? 

Sorry but I can't understand how you don't realise what's going on here. We have a squad value of £20m depending who you talk to. To say that it wasn't worth buttons 3 or 4 years ago is a staggering statement to where we've come.

The academy is working...it is working magnificently. Yes we lost yesterday, but by God if Clough's not getting us points then he's getting us money...and a lot of it.

I never mentioned yesterday's loss, but are you saying we're becoming a club that develops players and sells them on. Don't get me wrong I'm not against the board or management in any way, I'm just interested in other people's opinions on our current situation.

I think we are a long way off being a play off set up. .

Agreed

I do believe it is working but very slowly

Agreed

The danger we face is that the project is so slow that before it works our best players will be off, and we'll be back to square one.

Agreed

We haven't made anything out of them yet.

There's just as much chance of him falling out with them and loaning them out to Southend till there contracts are up if you ask me.

Not that anyone is asking me.

I never mentioned yesterday's loss, but are you saying we're becoming a club that develops players and sells them on. Don't get me wrong I'm not against the board or management in any way, I'm just interested in other people's opinions on our current situation.

Yeah. Like Southampton. They're now in the Premier League and are Europes 7th highest spenders after last summers transfer window. All because they have a fantastic academy.

Archived