Derby County v Wolverhampton Wanderers

CumbrianRam

Me and Brummie were at Stamford Bridge that day, the whole ground laughed, Derby fans anorl,

anyway Big Rog scored all five in a 5-0 win over Luton, the one game i missed that season, due

to a friends' wedding.. grrrrrr

The 5-0 with big Roger bagging the lot was the day me and the missus came back from our honeymoon. He also hit the bar, hit the post and had one disallowed.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And it takes someone that wasn't at the game to help you all focus on the bigger picture.

Just because there weren't positives doesn't mean we have to take huge negatives.

There were huge positives - but there are many on here are won't see it because it doesn't suit their agenda to do so.

We were up against an immensely big, physical side who played to their strengths, which was almost exclusively the aerial approach. Derby refused to be out-muscled and battled well against Wolves throughout the 90 minutes. We still looked the better side when we got the ball on the deck, especially in the second half. Ward skinned their right back a few times, Sammon battled well and the two young full backs were not overawed by the occasion.

We were entertaining , but not now. There is little ambition here. Can't the owners see that we are just as worthy of being promoted as Hull City, for example. Even an unsuccessful campaign in the Prem brings in millions of pounds, and fills the ground week in week out.

It seems the management here actually don't want to get promoted any time soon.

Again, are Hull City better than us ?

The answer to that question at the moment is an unequivocal 'yes'

A few things:

RATINGS

Legzdins 5

Hoganson 5

Freeman 6

Keogh 7

Brayford 6

Hendrick 5

Hughes 4

Bryson 5

Coutts 5

Ward 5

Sammon 7

The most irritating thing about the match, other than the god awful atmosphere and stupidly boring game was how far anyone was away from Sammon when we won the ball, it's okay ridiculing him if he had options but in the case yesterday he had the ball and was often up against 3/4 players, at one point he got the ball down and managed to find a shirt when he had 5 players circling him before a white shirt... I just don't know what people expect!

Could be the most boring game I've been to at Pride Park.

Hoganson looked ok although it was clear early on that his mandate was to get rid of the ball at the first opportunity. Some clearances become good long balls, some were just hoofs but I don't think he had a bad debut. Not sure he'll be the offensive LB alot of people crave but it's early days yet.

Freeman was composed but we really seem to miss the Coutts/Brayford dynamic down the right - we don't look nearly as dangerous if one of them isn't in position.

Other than that it was just a really mediocre performance. No one was terrible, no one was great. Hughes showed glimpses of quality but he's still wimping out of headers and strong tackles. Thought he'd got over that but it was creeping in again on Saturday.

Not specific to this game but I really want to see Jacobs starting. I don't mind who is sacrificed in the middle out of Hendrick, Bryson (no chance) or Hughes, but he could really give us something down the left. Currently we have a very defensive LB and a CM on the wing. Like I said in previous posts I get why Bryson plays there, to provide a bit of cover for Roberts (and Hoganson on his debut), but hopefully signing a LB with more pace in the summer will leave us less exposed, and more able to have a gung ho LW.

Could be the most boring game I've been to at Pride Park.

Hoganson looked ok although it was clear early on that his mandate was to get rid of the ball at the first opportunity. Some clearances become good long balls, some were just hoofs but I don't think he had a bad debut. Not sure he'll be the offensive LB alot of people crave but it's early days yet.

Freeman was composed but we really seem to miss the Coutts/Brayford dynamic down the right - we don't look nearly as dangerous if one of them isn't in position.

Other than that it was just a really mediocre performance. No one was terrible, no one was great. Hughes showed glimpses of quality but he's still wimping out of headers and strong tackles. Thought he'd got over that but it was creeping in again on Saturday.

Not specific to this game but I really want to see Jacobs starting. I don't mind who is sacrificed in the middle out of Hendrick, Bryson (no chance) or Hughes, but he could really give us something down the left. Currently we have a very defensive LB and a CM on the wing. Like I said in previous posts I get why Bryson plays there, to provide a bit of cover for Roberts (and Hoganson on his debut), but hopefully signing a LB with more pace in the summer will leave us less exposed, and more able to have a gung ho LW.

Pretty much agree with everything you've said Asanovic.

Win tomorrow and the draw looks like a good result, even if they are just above the relegation zone, Wolves are always known to be a difficult team to beat.

I'm I only who is relatively happy with clean sheet? It's rare to us and now we did it with both fullbacks being youngsters.

I agree with you chief - on the positive side we kept a clean sheet, on the negative side we didn't score.

That's about all that we can possibly glean from the game...

I'm I only who is relatively happy with clean sheet? It's rare to us and now we did it with both fullbacks being youngsters.

I was happy with the clean sheet too BUT we were playing a team with little confidence who I thought were more worried about losing a point away than winning three. Will be interesting to see how Saturday's back four does against either a top 6 side or a bottom three side who have no choice other than to "go for it"

Archived