4-4-2

derbyram1994

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going to go against the grain here and say I am happy with 4-5-1...as long as it is used properly.

Clough has said he is happy for Ward to play the roaming role, yet yesterday he was permanently glued to the left touch line 50 yards away from Sammon.

Starting with Bryson on the left also meant he was not getting close enough to Sammon to pick up lose balls.

If Ward is incapable of playing the role he is being given then maybe we should give Jacobs another go.

That's not the only issue, in parts of recent game he have played 442, but Bryson on the left. Clough has to pick two out of Hughes, Bryson and Hendrick. He won't hence 442 with Bryson out wide or 451

Couldn't agree more with this, Having the 3 of them in there offers us nothing more than having 2 in my opinion. They all do (relatively) similar things and can't seem to get their mix of forward runs/sitting back right. Plus Hughes is in desperate need of an extended rest, the kid can hardly pick his feet up. We risk running him into the ground if we keep playing him. Needs 2 weeks off at least.

For me we've looked at our best when we've played a genuine 4-4-1-1 and I think that Jacobs is the best man we have for playing off Sammon. He works harder than Ward, doesn't go missing and always looks to link up play between Sammon and midfield. Obviously only basing that on a couple of games but the balance of the side looked right.

Going to go against the grain here and say I am happy with 4-5-1...as long as it is used properly.

Clough has said he is happy for Ward to play the roaming role, yet yesterday he was permanently glued to the left touch line 50 yards away from Sammon.

Starting with Bryson on the left also meant he was not getting close enough to Sammon to pick up lose balls.

If Ward is incapable of playing the role he is being given then maybe we should give Jacobs another go.

True

Yesterday's 451 was more like 440, as Bryson and Sammon might as well not have been on the pitch - not really the player's fault either.

True

Yesterday's 451 was more like 440, as Bryson and Sammon might as well not have been on the pitch - not really the player's fault either.

Everyone could see that...well nearly everyone!

It annoys me that Radio Derby do not ask Clough the glaringly obvious questions:-

Why was Bryson wasted out on the left hand side

Why was Ward not instructed to get closer to Sammon

Why do you only ever make changes to your system when games have already been lost

They take it way too easy on him and just crumble any time he gets slightly aggressive with them.

When hes started on about playing a 17 and 20 year old in the middle yesterday the first thing the interviewer should have asked is why he wasn't playing Bryson in the middle or why he didn't play Ben Davies if he wanted a bit more experience. Instead it was just like 'ok on to the next question'

It has to be 442 all our good play this season has been with that formation, look at our away form having played 451 for most of it.

It struck a cord with me yesterday with Nigel Clough's comment of keep it at 0-0 for as long as we could! Why when we've been brilliant for the majority of our home games this season, we should be taking games to teams at home we've shown we're capable of it.

I don't like calling Nigel Clough because I believe he his the right man for the job, but sometimes it drives you mad with the formations he plays.

I feel that 4-5-1 could work providing we manage to feed Sammon properly and give Sammon options forward when he is holding up the ball (I find whenever Sammon has the ball the next pass always goes backwards). Also, for 4-5-1 to work the left flank needs more movement and more consistent, reliable passing. I find no fault with the right side with Brayford, Coutts and Hendrick passing the ball around happily down the right flank.

Although, 4-4-2 would give Sammon more of the ball and a decent option when holding. I'd be happy with Ward up front with Sammon he can move into the channels helping out the wings (mainly the left) as well as hopefully being closer to Sammon. I'd be happy with Jacobs being at LM with the obvious uncertainty of who to play in the middle?

Everyone could see that...well nearly everyone!

It annoys me that Radio Derby do not ask Clough the glaringly obvious questions:-

Why was Bryson wasted out on the left hand side

Why was Ward not instructed to get closer to Sammon

Why do you only ever make changes to your system when games have already been lost

They take it way too easy on him and just crumble any time he gets slightly aggressive with them.

When hes started on about playing a 17 and 20 year old in the middle yesterday the first thing the interviewer should have asked is why he wasn't playing Bryson in the middle or why he didn't play Ben Davies if he wanted a bit more experience. Instead it was just like 'ok on to the next question'

Colin Gibson used to give Clough a hard time and was crucified on here for it mainly from you I think.BTW obviously

Blackburn must have a higher wage bill.

Colin Gibson used to give Clough a hard time and was crucified on here for it mainly from you I think.BTW obviously

Blackburn must have a higher wage bill.

Never once mentioned Colin Gibson interviewing Nigel Clough but hey ho.

I would respond to your next line but I know I have to watch what I post on here sometimes, especially if you disagree with it.

On the formation issue. Clough said Ward was given license to roam. At about 35 mins in he, hughes, hendrick and bryson had a bit of a conference and ward moved to the left with bryson going middle. Dont know if these were instructions from clough but it clearly wasnt effective

Archived