The Big Sammon Thread

Rich3478

The thing is coutts has been dire. He needs the bray desperately.

But he has the luxury of being a midfielder who's job doesn't entail scoring goals. It is getting assists and he is top of the assists for us.

Whereas sammon is a striker and his job is to score goals. If he stopped scoring like coutts has stopped getting assists then they are both even but the difference is coutts already has his numbers to his name.

If Sammon was on 21 goals this season and stopped scoring then it wouldn't be a problem but he has something like 8. Coutts has already achieved a lot this season Sammon hasn't and is failing to do so that is the difference.

Sammon assists in the majority of derby's chances. The assist system only counts direct assists i.e just one touch from the goal scorer. Thats more likely to be from a cross than from Sammon who collects the ball just over the half way line. For him to lay the ball off to say martin for a one touch shot is rarer than Coutts to cross into a crowd of options. Less credited assists doesn't necessarily mean they have created less goals for the team.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not what I only focused on, no.

I'm just saying, it was quite funny when he did that.

Glad you enjoyed it.

From reading your other contributions about the game last night, it seems to me that it was the only thing you did.

Glad you enjoyed it.

From reading your other contributions about the game last night, it seems to me that it was the only thing you did.

My thoughts esactly, I think people only see what they want to see.

I saw both the good and bad of Conor Sammon last night, good touch, good hold up play, couple of great passes, great runs over the top but also poor finishing.

I made a post earlier on in the week saying how Conor would start the game well but his first mistake will be met with groans and i was right, he did more good than bad last night, people either didnt see it or just dont want to see it. Its almost as if some like to see him cock up, which personally i really dont get.

Salmon was good last night

Played a perfect pass to get Bryson through in the first minute

Played a part in both the last 2 goals

As did ward, scoring and assisting.

Was ward poor generally or poor by his standards, was sammon good or good by his standards?

Sammon did ok, but still managed to go through another 90 minutes without really troubling the keeper, he also missed a sitter, something that would be excused if a one off, but it isn't.

He is not as bad as some people make out, but if that's a good performance, that would indicate there is not much more to come, and that would not fill me with optimism.

I hope he uses the performance and pushes on to reach the levels of the best striker in the champ that apparently he is.

Was ward poor generally or poor by his standards, was sammon good or good by his standards?

Sammon did ok, but still managed to go through another 90 minutes without really troubling the keeper, he also missed a sitter, something that would be excused if a one off, but it isn't.

He is not as bad as some people make out, but if that's a good performance, that would indicate there is not much more to come, and that would not fill me with optimism.

I hope he uses the performance and pushes on to reach the levels of the best striker in the champ that apparently he is.

I honestly remember more of zsammon good play than Wards

I would say Wards peno was easier than Sammons miss in open play. Neither player was outstanding last night. My argument is with how the focus seems to always be on Sammon when others play as bad if not worse but don't get a public flogging.

Theres only 1 more thing Sammon can really do, and that is put the chances away. If he had scored last night IMO it would have been a very good performance, he would of done everything you ask of your striker. He is never going to be a prolific striker but if he puts away most of the chances that come to him theres not much more you can really ask of him.

I just dont get all the posts that make out like he has never made a pass, never contolled a ball and never won a header, its like they actually believe that is true. His assist for Wards goal was actually very good, intelligent run in behind, good skill to get passed the defender and then an inch perfect pass into Ward, it seem with some that bit of the goal was completely missed.

I remember Phil Gee getting the scapegoat treatment after promotion - having witnessed him being a fan idol it was shocking typical to see the fans turn on a player.

Fixed it.

One of my employees decided to change it from Awful to Average, rather than see the title change each week with the current mood I switched it to something neutral.

The 'Fresh Sammon Thread' would have been tastier..

:)

I actually feel really sorry for him. As the Killie fan said, I think he's definitely a confidence player. So at this moment in time, it can only lead to a vicious cycle. He misses a sitter, fans boo him, he doesn't have the confidence to put away another sitter, etc, etc.

Before Sammon came in, we really needed a forward to hold the ball in the oppositions half for at least a second before it came straight back at us. Its a problem we were having a lot and quite a few people were talking about missing the hold up play of Kuqi the season before.

Sammon gives us that ability to hold the ball up the field and get our defenders off our goal line, we are fifth highest scorers in the division, our problem is that we have let in nearly 20 more goals than some of the teams above us!

Kugi scored a goal every 6 games, Sammon is on 5.4. For a hold up centre forward he is actually doing better than arguably most popular hold up forward of recent years. For me his job is to give us the chance to score rather than take the chances and I think he does that well but it is frustrating to see easy chances missed. I believe we would be worse off without him.

The problem is that he doesn't hold the ball up though. His control is just not good enough to play that role. He does other things very well, but he's terrible with his back to goal. Where he comes into his own is running on to a ball and picking out a quick pass. I think that him and Martin should swap roles. Martin is better in the air and has excellent control. If he could feed Sammon I reckon we might all get a different view of him.

I believe the people that slate Sammon do so because they're in denial or confused about who they should be aiming their criticisms too. After grilling a couple of lads I was with about why they criticise him, I got down to the reason, simply because the manager has ruined the Derby careers of so many players for making a couple of mistakes (Cywka, MaGuire, Moxey, Jacobs etc) yet Sammon is allowed to carry on with a carte-blanche. 

I believe the people that slate Sammon do so because they're in denial or confused about who they should be aiming their criticisms too. After grilling a couple of lads I was with about why they criticise him, I got down to the reason, simply because the manager has ruined the Derby careers of so many players for making a couple of mistakes (Cywka, MaGuire, Moxey, Jacobs etc) yet Sammon is allowed to carry on with a carte-blanche.

How have their careers been ruined. They have been sold on or moved on to other clubs. It is up to the player to make a go of his own career. You really do talk carp sometimes.

Archived