Premier Rams ?

mozza

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Clough were to get us promoted, of course he would deserve the chance to manage in the Premier League and if the board have remained loyal to him for the last four years, I don't see why they would suddenly deny him the opportunity to build upon any potential success.

You look at the promoted sides every year and wonder how on earth they are going to stay up. But despite that Norwich, Swansea and QPR have all done it and the likes of Southampton and Reading are giving it a good go this time round. There's no reason why we couldn't also acquit ourselves well.

Some people are quick to assert that Clough and the team would be out of their depth but you just never know. I'm sure people looked at Lambert at Norwich, Rodgers at Swansea, Adkins at Southampton and looked at the squads they assembled and wondered whether the Premier League would be too hot to handle. And look how their careers have advanced.

You look at all the clubs that have been promoted recently and looked competitive and it doesn't take much to realise 2007-08 was a huge anomaly and surely lightning wouldn't strike twice. Of course, like anyone else, we'd be tipped for an instant return for the Championship, but again that is no different from 95% of promoted sides.

I don't think the board would change tack too drastically. They would take a similar approach to most other promoted clubs. Keep the nucleus of the side that won promotion while making solid and sensible investments to improve where necessary. This is usually by cherry picking from the Championship or making some shrewd signings from abroad.

I think we would find ourselves with that similar set-up to clubs like Norwich, Swansea and Southampton. A manager with it all to prove and a like-minded group of players who are hungry and motivated to succeed on the big stage.

But this is me just speculating.

what happened last time ? definatly used parachute payments to get us back up....Or did we use them to pay off the over rated idiots who embarassed us for a whole season ?

that was last time.. we'd be better off this time.. anyway, who says we'd come

straight back down ??

If Clough were to get us promoted, of course he would deserve the chance to manage in the Premier League and if the board have remained loyal to him for the last four years, I don't see why they would suddenly deny him the opportunity to build upon any potential success.

You look at the promoted sides every year and wonder how on earth they are going to stay up. But despite that Norwich, Swansea and QPR have all done it and the likes of Southampton and Reading are giving it a good go this time round. There's no reason why we couldn't also acquit ourselves well.

Some people are quick to assert that Clough and the team would be out of their depth but you just never know. I'm sure people looked at Lambert at Norwich, Rodgers at Swansea, Adkins at Southampton and looked at the squads they assembled and wondered whether the Premier League would be too hot to handle. And look how their careers have advanced.

You look at all the clubs that have been promoted recently and looked competitive and it doesn't take much to realise 2007-08 was a huge anomaly and surely lightning wouldn't strike twice. Of course, like anyone else, we'd be tipped for an instant return for the Championship, but again that is no different from 95% of promoted sides.

I don't think the board would change tack too drastically. They would take a similar approach to most other promoted clubs. Keep the nucleus of the side that won promotion while making solid and sensible investments to improve where necessary. This is usually by cherry picking from the Championship or making some shrewd signings from abroad.

I think we would find ourselves with that similar set-up to clubs like Norwich, Swansea and Southampton. A manager with it all to prove and a like-minded group of players who are hungry and motivated to succeed on the big stage.

But this is me just speculating.

Lambert advanced? Rodgers advanced? Villa and Liverpool may have looked illustrious in terms of history - but both are sitting in train wrecks. Villa look worthy relegation candidates and possibly one of the worst Liverpool teams in the short time I've been conscious of football.

You're right with the selections of teams that have done well in terms of meteoric rises - maybe not so with the managers.

Anyway, Derby ready for the Prem? Not with the team at its current level. Next year when the youth of the squad is a year older and wiser, we maybe have Barker back, and a LB ready to fill Roberts' place

I would give Clough a chance at that level. Why not? I'd rather have him in place and know what we deal with should we come back down. I think that might be the reason that Reading are keeping hold of McDermott despite them being bottom of the table - they already have a manager that would be able to compete with a Championship team. Clough's technicalities do worry me.. our attitude/tactics/whatever away from home need to be much more astute, while keeping PPS a (relative) fortress..

Would the board back us with money? Yes. Would it be mega bucks? No, but they would spend sensibly, in a similar fashion to what we already have, trying to have Nige find the best youth talent within a bigger budget the lower leagues (only with Champ/L1 as opposed to L1/L2.) but also look towards the increase in quality of our Academy bunch. Maybe the promotion would be enough to give us the top level Academy status?

Premier Rams?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahahahai'm asausagehahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Made me chuckle that.

Premier Rams?

Made me chuckle that.

arse..

Lambert advanced? Rodgers advanced? Villa and Liverpool may have looked illustrious in terms of history - but both are sitting in train wrecks. Villa look worthy relegation candidates and possibly one of the worst Liverpool teams in the short time I've been conscious of football.

You're right with the selections of teams that have done well in terms of meteoric rises - maybe not so with the managers.

Anyway, Derby ready for the Prem? Not with the team at its current level. Next year when the youth of the squad is a year older and wiser, we maybe have Barker back, and a LB ready to fill Roberts' place

I would give Clough a chance at that level. Why not? I'd rather have him in place and know what we deal with should we come back down. I think that might be the reason that Reading are keeping hold of McDermott despite them being bottom of the table - they already have a manager that would be able to compete with a Championship team. Clough's technicalities do worry me.. our attitude/tactics/whatever away from home need to be much more astute, while keeping PPS a (relative) fortress..

Would the board back us with money? Yes. Would it be mega bucks? No, but they would spend sensibly, in a similar fashion to what we already have, trying to have Nige find the best youth talent within a bigger budget the lower leagues (only with Champ/L1 as opposed to L1/L2.) but also look towards the increase in quality of our Academy bunch. Maybe the promotion would be enough to give us the top level Academy status?

Their careers have advanced. Lambert got the Villa job on the basis of his success with Norwich in the Premier League. Similarly Rodgers with Liverpool and Swansea.

It's another whole debate on whether they have actually done well since moving to bigger clubs. In my opinion, it is far too soon to judge. Both were obviously appointed in trying circumstances with a long-term vision in mind, so why you would deem them failures after 6 months in charge is beyond me.

Liverpool and Villa were already clubs in crisis when they arrived. Who expected that to change in a matter of months? Not me.

exactly, but what if we do get there ?

Well I think he should be given the chance to succeed, I'd like to think the board would be honourable enough to reward the success he'd brought (promotion).

I don't like Neil Warnock but I thought he was treated quite badly by QPR after getting them promoted, I'd like to think we do things differently at Derby County.

The question I'd like to put out is, Would you prefer to keep Nigel and let things unfold as they are doing or get rid of him and have the manager you dislike most in charge of us BUT be in the Prem ?

For me, it would be Nigel in charge and things as they are now or Premiership football under Nigel Pearson and for me it's Clough and how things are now.

We may be making slow progress, but its progress all the same. We are more stable and in spite of his often dour demeanour Nigel has been able to do a fair job with limited resources. I would like to see us in the Premiership, but with enough strength in depth to survive and acquit ourselves reasonably well. If we come straight back down and NC learns from the experience then he will be the better manager for it and we will know proof positive whether he can manage at that level. Until he has had the opportunity I don't think we can judge things one way or another, but there is a great deal to be said for the stability he has provided.

If we somehow got promoted, would he have the technical nous to survive in the Prem ?

No.

Nigel is relatively a novice in management terms, would he be out of his comfort zone ?

No

Could he/we attract the players needed to survive in the Prem ?

Yes.

Would the owners back him with 'hard cash' ?

Yes.

Would he know which players to buy with mega cash ?

Yes.

Would it be a good idea to say ''thanks Nige, you've done your bit,

we need to move on with a more experienced Premier Manager'' ?

Hell no. I'd be furious with the board if they did that.

Would/could Nige work with an experienced manager as assistant ?

No.

Is CLOUGH ready ?

Maybe.

It would be madness to get promoted then sack Nigel with the building we will have done to have got promoted. The club is constantly improving with the youth system and the first team all under Nigel's stewardship, so when we reach the premier league everything will be in place to maintain premier league status as it will be a development over time and not one lucky season.

If we went up I believe money would be made available, not mega amounts its not their style and certainly not as much as the fans would like.

Experienced Premiership players would be out of reach so we would look to sign experienced Championship players, players that could take us back up the next season as relegation would be nailed on.

Nobody seems to believe me when I say we made a £14m cash surplus on operations in 07/08 (ie cash that was available to spend on the capital side,eg players),so I'll try the commonsense approach.Total wages came in at £26m (players £23m) and tv income was £32m.Our most recently reported income was £18m in total,including some tv money,so it should come as no surprise that Prem total income was £48.5m.Take total wages off this and you're left with £22.5m -£4.5m more than our current total income with all wages (by a country mile the largest expense)paid.The other Prem operating expenses would be not much higher than in the Championship,not forgetting that non players' wages have already been accounted for.As our 10/11 total wages came in at over £10m,it should now be easy to see where the £14m surplus came from.

Blackpool earned £8m more tv income than us,and it's no doubt gone up since then (with megabucks in the pipeline)-all of this before any inward investment.However,as I've said before,it doesn't come at the start of the season when it's most needed.

Of course,it's not as simple as adding £8m to the £14m (with even more now and in future),because it assumes we keep players'

wages at the £23m level (mind you,it looks like we might even manage this).

The whole point of all this? I think your expectations are too low,unless you think the owners would keep a big share of the goodies.

The board have time and time again said that if we get to the premiership they will invest.

However they refuse to spend money on ridiculous wages player fees to get out the championship.

...but of course investing may just mean spending the Prem goodies (which I've no particular problem with).We actually spent quite a lot in 07/08,but unfortunately it wasn't spent wisely by either BD or PJ.I'd expect Nigel to do significantly better with the same amount (if he got it).

wtf are you on about. we're losing £7m a season, where is the goddam logic in staying in the championship? oh ffs.

The cash loss was c£4m in 10/11 and there's been some culling since then,so your use of the present tense may be a bit premature.Just saying,like. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

It would be madness to get promoted then sack Nigel with the building we will have done to have got promoted. The club is constantly improving with the youth system and the first team all under Nigel's stewardship, so when we reach the premier league everything will be in place to maintain premier league status as it will be a development over time and not one lucky season.

The only thing I would say is that it would be miles more difficult to blood youngsters in the Prem if we were battling for survival with an imperative to get results.

The cash loss was c£4m in 10/11 and there's been some culling since then,so your use of the present tense may be a bit premature.Just saying,like. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Is it really only £4m? Well that's nice to know. Suppose I should pay more attention to your financial threads, ha.

Thinking about it, with the tv screens and pride plaza, we'll actually be making money in a couple of years...nice.

Archived