Views on NC's signings as DCFC manager

jimbobram

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to say some of Sammons performances have made me think he's exactly what we need. But also he's been clumsy and wasteful and as good a target man as Jamie Ward.

He's been inconsistent so the debate on him is to be expected.

I think Nigel is average in transfers. Has flops and has gems. Look at Redknapp, a 'wheeler dealer' who 'broke Spurs into a serious challenger for honours'. Yes, he bought some cracking players. He bought some massive flops on huge money too.

If a manager does well people tend forget what he wasted. If he struggles then its all 'Carroll and Downing' instead of 'Suarez' or whatever.

Transfer fees don't always tell the full story. Some freebies cost a fortune.

I'm very interested to hear of all the terrible signings that he's made. I keep hearing of them, but much like a book on cryptozoology the actual number of bad signings seems to be greatly exaggerated on here.

Hughes is currently showing everyone at the club up.

are you going to slag off all of our players?

He's a quality player, but I doubt he shows Keogh up at centrehalf.

It is an excuse if your saying the style Sammon plays is stopping him from scoring more goals.

Who cares about his current strike rate, the argument is the fee involved was over the top.

Wigan paid Killie something like 600,000 and after one goal league his price doubles? How does that work out?

Wigan fans were oddly happy with him as a player for someone who scored 1 goal in 18 months. Nigel also has a tendency of following targets for a long time. As we're saying about Hughes at the moment, he's worth as much as we're willing to pay, and if we're willing to pay £1.2 mil for him, that's how much he costs. I don't see too many other strikers signed on fees who cost less than that this off season who are doing much better.

I expect a player with some ball control and an ability to finish. I've said it enough time in other threads, but for 1.2 million i expected much more. I havent really seen much of this 'bringing others into play', his control is usually so poor the ball bounces straight off him, admittedly i havent really seen him in our better home performances. He done well Saturday though, the first time i've seen him play well.

Ok he's scored 5, a very poor finish on Saturday that he got away with and another one where he was miles offside.

How do you define ability to finish. Theo apparently hasn't got great technical skills, but he's doing well. Goal scoring is about more than just raw ability to "finish", and Sammon has done more than that for us, although he seems odd weak in the air for a player of his size.

didn't Jones cost a million or so? Not quite peanuts and Leacock was surely on one of the higher wages of the team hence why he was eagerly shipped out when the cost cutting started.

NOW HAVE YOU CHEERED UP YET?!

Leacock was signed from fulham reserves, how would he would he be on massive wages? Maybe his wages bumped up abit when we got promoted, but certainly wouldn't be on a great deal in his debut season here.

Jones learned from Keane and scholes, united fans rated him highly and that's enugh to warrant a million pound player, unlike sammon. Who did he learn from? Di santo? Both are just has *****

Leacock was signed from fulham reserves, how would he would he be on massive wages? Maybe his wages bumped up abit when we got promoted, but certainly wouldn't be on a great deal in his debut season here.

Jones learned from Keane and scholes, united fans rated him highly and that's enugh to warrant a million pound player, unlike sammon. Who did he learn from? Di santo? Both are just has *****

Contradicting yourself slightly, I pointed out Jones wasn't signed for peanuts and neither were Leacocks wages judging by the reports. Peanuts a few seasons ago must have been worth a few bob eh 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> now in the words of b4.. "Sit in a dark room, stare at yourself (if that's actually possible in a dark room?) and ask yourself, 'am I the best derby fan I can be?' " 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> love you b4 xo

Considering he learned from scholes and Keane, I think so anyway.

so then who has hughes learned from to reach his ability?

bryson, bailey, Ben davies?

they look like clough signings

thats what im getting from that. He's worth 1 million because he was in the same squad as scholes and keane.

so because a player plays for a team with good players his value increases

Great logic

I think you're missing the point here. Strikers are generally value more and the mix of inflation and general increase in the value of footballers beyond inflation means that comparisons of exact figures is a bit pointless. Strikers also tend to be valued more than midfielders, not to mention that Jones' career to the point that we paid £1 mil for him consisted for a handful of loan spells (including to us), whilst Sammon had experience in both Scotland and the Premier League, including significantly more Premier League experience, even if he wasn't scoring.

375k, about the same has a near 30 year old league one Ben Davies then huh....

Including inflation (for the date Davies signed):

Dean Leacock - Defender, limited first team experience - ~£425k

Ben Davies - Midfielder, mountains of experience and form to boot - £350k

Defenders are generally cheaper than midfielders or strikers (generally the most expensive). So yeah, we signed an inexperienced defender for more than Davies, then he turned out to be rubbish after a season... I don't quite get your point.

I think you're missing the point here. Strikers are generally value more and the mix of inflation and general increase in the value of footballers beyond inflation means that comparisons of exact figures is a bit pointless. Strikers also tend to be valued more than midfielders, not to mention that Jones' career to the point that we paid £1 mil for him consisted for a handful of loan spells (including to us), whilst Sammon had experience in both Scotland and the Premier League, including significantly more Premier League experience, even if he wasn't scoring.

Including inflation (for the date Davies signed):

Dean Leacock - Defender, limited first team experience - ~£425k

Ben Davies - Midfielder, mountains of experience and form to boot - £350k

Defenders are generally cheaper than midfielders or strikers (generally the most expensive). So yeah, we signed an inexperienced defender for more than Davies, then he turned out to be rubbish after a season... I don't quite get your point.

Yeah defenders are cheaper.

Afteral we've only spent a million a piece on barker and shackell

So it's wrong for a player to have natural ability without being nursed by members of the squad.

I guess I should thank the forest players then for getting Hughes were he is today, considering that's where he came from n'all.

thats not what you said is it.

you said he played withn scholes and keane therefore we are justified in paying 1 million for him, which is apparently peanuts.

Yeah because he(jones) established himself around world class players and came from the united academy- Arguably one of the best in the world.

Sammon failed to establish himself in Ireland, killie took a chance and obviously it worked, but since leaving them he has done nothing in the past two years to be worth over a million. How can anyone even justified that figure....

Yeah defenders are cheaper.

Afteral we've only spent a million a piece on barker and shackell

Who are both quality players. I don't think you could find a striker in the division the quality of Barker or Shackell (as defenders) who would go for £1 mil in the transfer window unless they were coming out of contract.

So it's wrong for a player to have natural ability without being nursed by members of the squad.

I guess I should thank the forest players then for getting Hughes were he is today, considering that's where he came from n'all.

Did he now, when was he training with their first team?

Yeah because he's (daid jones) established himself around world class players and came from the united academy.

Sammon failed to establish himself in Ireland, killie took a chance and obviously it worked, but since leaving them he has done nothing in the past two years to be worth over a million. How can anyone even justified that figure....

if he established himself at Man Utd he wouldn't have even gave us a second glance, he's a good player but you're making yourself seem a bit of a 'stokie' with these posts. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

Yeah because he(jones) established himself around world class players and came from the united academy- Arguably one of the best in the world.

Jones' appearance at United: 4

Sammon's appearances in Ireland: 85

Sammon's appearances in Scotland: 65

Sammon's appearances in the Premier League: 32

Yes, I can clearly see how Jones "established himself" at United. The comparison between the players is clear here.

I'm very interested to hear of all the terrible signings that he's made. I keep hearing of them, but much like a book on cryptozoology the actual number of bad signings seems to be greatly exaggerated on here.

Never said terrible.

But....

Croft

Moxey

Pringle

Hendrie

Martin

Doyle

Bavies

Porter

Maguire

Russell Anderson

A few that won't be remembered by us. They didn't improve us.

I said he was average in transfers. Like most other managers, has his flops and his gems. Could you add Bailey to the list who's dropped a league?

There's no proof either way imo to say he's great or awful. That's why we're average. Because his transfer dealings have been average. Hit n miss.

Whether that's down to investment or poor management or whatever is a completely different debate. We're talking about players he's signed. Not every signing has been a gem.

Archived