Old head needed in midfield

Derby born & bred

Does anyone else think this is what is missing???? I watched the game on sky abroad and to be honest the only one that looked any good was Hughes in midfield. Couts and Jacobs were ok aswell.

We had some good spells, but overall they dominated the game. I realy think we are missing an old pro in the middle of the pitch, a Dave Mackay figure to boss it and show the young ones the way.

My guy would be Sean Derry at QPR i noticed he was playing the other day for them, but just wonder what Harry has planned for him and maybe if Clough could nip in there in January and offer the guy a decent wage to come here and play for us.

I think he could be the player we need and will help the younger players come along aswell.

What do others think? and what sort of midfielder would you like to see at Derby?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An old head would be ideal, but age wouldn't matter for me if someone came into the side who could really put some crunching tackles in more often, win those headers Bryson and Hughes won't win because its all we miss in the middle, we have energy and decent enough technical ability already and for as big as Hendrick is he's not as tough as I'd have thought! A nasty little tvvvvat like Michael Brown, Shaun Derry would be great too but the problem is 23 other teams in the division want the same.

Definitely.

However, a good experienced midfielder who is capable of this level, and higher will want a rack of cash.

I hear yer, and know money is the problem, but surely a guy like Derry would bring that to Derby and i dont think he is the sort just after the money think he loves his football and would love the challenge.

Also, I don't think we should be going for a Michael Brown, Shaun Derry type player... A player to win the midfield is enough.

I thought Danny Drinkwater was excellent at just that yesterday, you don't have to have a player who goes around kicking people for this role.

I don't see what an old head would achieve really. By 'old head', I assume you mean someone who gets the ball and continually finds white shirts to help us get a foothold in the game, and someone who pulls the strings of the team. We already have that in Will Hughes.

For me, the main problem yesterday was distribution from the back 5. Buxton likes to pass forwards normally to Hughes or Hendrick/Bryson, but yesterday Waghorn and Vardy pressed so high that both he and Keogh only ever looked like passing sideways or hoofing it up the pitch. It wouldn't have mattered who was in the midfield, Leicester were ensuring the game bypassed our middle.

Once they got their second goal, a combination of things happened. Slowly, Leicester stopped working so hard and we also filled out the centre more by bringing Coutts in there.

I really hope Hendrick recaptures last season's form - he also plays like an experienced CM on his day. Milwall at home springs to mind in particular where he completely bullied their other midfielders physically and kept us ticking through consistent passing.

Archived