it will be five years tomorrow

loweman2

Which team do you prefer from this team, or the team that lost to Chelsea 2-0 5 years ago yesterday?

Bywater - Legzdins

Griffin - Brayford

Davis - Keogh

Moore - Buxton

McEveley - Roberts

Fagan - Coutts

Oakley - Bryson

Feilhaber - Hughes

Jones - Jacobs

Miller - Robinson

Barnes - Sammon

Please note against Chelsea we played what looked like a 5-3-2 formation, so I replaced Leacock with Feilhaber who came on in the second half for him, to make it a bid of a easier comparison. My preferred team is in bold.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which team do you prefer from this team, or the team that lost to Chelsea 2-0 5 years ago yesterday?

Bywater - Legzdins

Griffin - Brayford

Davis - Keogh

Moore - Buxton

McEveley - Roberts

Fagan - Coutts

Oakley - Bryson

Feilhaber - Hughes

Jones - Jacobs

Miller - Robinson

Barnes - Sammon

Please note against Chelsea we played what looked like a 5-3-2 formation, so I replaced Leacock with Feilhaber who came on in the second half for him, to make it a bid of a easier comparison. My preferred team is in bold.

pretty much agreed other than Bryson! His energy all over the pitch seems to keep us ticking over at times

Are you any relation to the great man himself?

Actually, sorry stupid question, it's Uttoxeter, of course your related. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

oooo bitchy. But believe it or not yes, my fathers cousin! It isn't true about the inbred thing though. I know people from this ghetto I aren't related to!!

Bywater - Legzdins

Griffin - Brayford

Davis - Keogh

Moore - Buxton

McEveley - Roberts

Fagan - Coutts

Oakley - Bryson

Feilhaber - Hughes

Jones - Jacobs

Miller - Robinson

Barnes - Sammon

All of the Current squad.If Barnes peaked then maybe him.But we have a Young squad now with potential

I had a season ticket as usual in that great season in the premiership and I missed just one home game due to being on holiday, can any body body guess which game it was ( clue we only won one game all season !!), so I was even more disgruntled than most !!, on reflection it's hard to believe that we could have been so bad, in comparison this season you would expect certain teams to fare to well, but when you consider that Southampton have already equalled the 11 points that got in the whole of that season it really does make you realise how ***** our team was, sadly there will never be another team to beat our unwanted record, worst team in history as the opposition fans taunt us, jewel, Davies and their ***** teams are long gone but we the fans are left as the sole beneficiaries of their bequeath, like the term of endearment on many a hundred year old gravestone, gone but never forgotten.

Five years, and this is the first thread I've come across that is actually perscribed solely to that period of our club. Shows how we've really not come to terms with it yet.

I can't believe that some fans try to dress up that season as anything other than what it was. Truth be told, 11 points flattered us. People compare it to Sunderland's season when they got 15 point, but for me, we were just in a class of our own. From Queen Victoria's 59th birthday to our present Queen's 82nd birthday, there must have been, what, 15 generations of footballers? Out of all of them, the squad listed at the top of this thread was the all time worst to play in the top flight. Lovely stuff.

That team wouldn't have stayed up in the Championship either, we were just sh1te. The thing that ruined it was actually our January transfer window in 2006, whereby we turned a decent Championship side and changed it into a mid-table one, and somehow we staggered and stuttered to 3rd(!!!!).

We were just so lucky to get through the play-offs, it was unreal. A freak own goal, a penalty that never was, and a fortunate 1-0 win at Wembley and hey presto, a team that had Jay McEveley and Mo Camara as its two left backs, with Darren Currie as its left winger and John Macken as its only cover up front was going to play in the best league in the world.

That side had some ok players. Howard was excellent that season but that was probably his peak. Lupoli was decent on his day. Jones was an absolute class act too, Mears wasn't too shabby a full back either. We still had no striker partner let alone ample cover up front, the worst left backs in the league, and don't even get me started on the right wing. If we hadn't gone up, we would have struggled in the Championship too without improving, just like many freak play-off teams who get found out the season after.

When I'm older, I'd love to write a book about our Premier League season, it really fascinates me. The whole club is still paying for it now. The main reason for the board's current financial policy, the reason for having Clough in charge, the low away support, the constant jibes we get from other fans, that's all the fallout of five season's ago.

If you think we're over it, then I think you're wrong. In a couple of decades time we'll still look back at this period as the recovery period from the Premier League season.

Archived