Mark Burton: "Brian Clough would be turning in his grave" at Derby style of play

CumbrianRam

So if the play doesn't start in from the back, is it a good goal?

We've played some good football, and scored some good goals this season. Some of it might fall under your fabricated category of 'passing teams', some maybe 'percentage football', but we've done ok and played some decent stuff.

The original argument was that someone from Barnsley said we smack it out to the flanks and hope for the best, which I don't agree with.

Not at all.. Many of goals scored in La Liga is full of pressure and winning the ball high up the pitch.. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.. Derby have scored many goals like that and high pressure at home is excellent.. Why we don't do it away is beyond me.. But it's a job the likes of Bryson, Hughes and Sammon does well.. Pressuring the defenders/midfielders into mistakes..

Hughes did it twice against Brum and both turned out to be good opportunities.. All done through pressing.. I applaud that as it's a difficult skill to do..

But someone is trying to convince me were a passing team because we've scored a couple of goals from passing moves.. People are clearly confusing themselves with the phrase 'passing team'.. A passing team isn't one that can pass the ball on the floor for 5 or 6 moves and score a goal.. Because anyone can do that.. Stoke can do that, Brum did that against us and they were hoof merchants for 95% of the game..

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also don't be ridiculous.. How can I expect a midtable nothing club like Derby to play football like the best team in history? When amazing clubs like Atletico, Valencia, Bayern, Arsenal etc. won't reach that level..

I object to your description of my team, yeah we might not be for purists like you that like to jizz themselves over the tippy tappy walk it into the net stuff you crave but they are my team. It's akin to insulting my wife, I know she's not the prettiest woman in the world but to me she is and should someone suggest otherwise I'd be mightily peaved.

Derby County might be a nothing club to you but by Christ they are a something club to me and I'd appreciate it if you would pack in this nothing club $hit right now.

I object to your description of my team, yeah we might not be for purists like you that like to jizz themselves over the tippy tappy walk it into the net stuff you crave but they are my team. It's akin to insulting my wife, I know she's not the prettiest woman in the world but to me she is and should someone suggest otherwise I'd be mightily peaved.

Derby County might be a nothing club to you but by Christ they are a something club to me and I'd appreciate it if you would pack in this nothing club $hit right now.

Ok then everyone is a something club.. Every club is the biggest in the world and the best..

Oh look we scored another passing move, doesn't count though as we are only playing 10 men!!

Bris I haven't read as much b*ll*ck$ as you have put in this thread since stan was posting. We never ever ever ever ever ever play football from the back is just ridiculous and just makes you look like a WUM.

Oh look we scored another passing move, doesn't count though as we are only playing 10 men!!

Bris I haven't read as much b*ll*ck$ as you have put in this thread since stan was posting. We never ever ever ever ever ever play football from the back is just ridiculous and just makes you look like a WUM.

Yes a passing move.. I an show you Stoke scoring from a passing move if you like..

I haven't read as much b0ll0cks from other posters in my life.. Those that clearly don't understand the differene between passing football and passing move

Yes a passing move.. I an show you Stoke scoring from a passing move if you like..

I haven't read as much b0ll0cks from other posters in my life.. Those that clearly don't understand the differene between passing football and passing move

How many times do we have to score from passing moves to be considered a passing team? How many passing moves in a game do we have to make to be considered a passing team? Of course in your opinion.

People are not claiming to be as good at passing as Barca/Arsenal/Swansea just a team that tries to play the ball on the floor more times than not. That is the only thing that needs to be learned, by you.

You raise some good points but you are so pig headed when it comes to your opinion being wrong you twist things to make you look like you are right. Try a bit of humility every now and then and people might argue less with you, but it seems that that would take your enjoyment out of this forum.

The BEST EVER post on any forum!!!

Nearly made me cry. Brilliant post.

How many times do we have to score from passing moves to be considered a passing team? How many passing moves in a game do we have to make to be considered a passing team? Of course in your opinion.

People are not claiming to be as good at passing as Barca/Arsenal/Swansea just a team that tries to play the ball on the floor more times than not. That is the only thing that needs to be learned, by you.

You raise some good points but you are so pig headed when it comes to your opinion being wrong you twist things to make you look like you are right. Try a bit of humility every now and then and people might argue less with you, but it seems that that would take your enjoyment out of this forum.

But we don't try and play more passing moves than hoofs.. We don't.. 90% of the time when the defence or the GK has the ball it's pumped long..

I'm not pig headed at all.. People are tellling me that we're a passing team and passing it off as a fact.. I'm saying it's not.. And then the only evidence they can put forward is one or two moves throughout the match when 90% of the others are caused by long punts...

People are arguing the case because they simply can't accept the truth.. Like EHR mentions about his wife.. She's not the prettiest woman in the world but to him she is.. The same with Derby... Realism is needed, take a step back and look at it through a realitistic mind not the rose-tinited specs (opinions) that are shared here..

I imagine everyteam thinks theirs is the best, think they play the best football and have the best players in the league.. But we can't all be the best and have the best team/players etc.. At least I can be realistic when it comes to this club and not have serious delusions of grandeur..

I want us to improve in every possible way and I'd love to watch us on the box against the big boys.. But the reality is we're a nothing midtable club with an average management and I can see many aspecs in which we can improve.. I can see it, I'm sure you all can too.

We're not a passing team.. A percentage team who can string a few passes together in the final third we are..

I've seen it many times.. Coutts picks up a lose ball in CM, he has no-one around him or even bothering to challenge him.. He passes to Brayford, who casually runs to the edge of the box without a single challenge, who then gives it back to Coutts whose literally standing on 25 yards from goal without a single player near him, he lays it off sideways to Hughes who has again absolutely no-one near him and has all the time in the world to play a beatifully weighted pass to Jacobs on the left who is inside the area, free with no-one close to him to pick out an easy pass for either Tyson or Sammon who were both 6 yards from goal with no defenders near them to score..

That's not passing football.. That's 6 passes and simply one of the worst piece of defending I've ever seen at this level..

Oh look.. We're the new Swansea of the NPC.. We play better passing football than Brighton.

Pull the other one guys.. You're not fooling anyone..

I know we can play passing football.. So can Stoke.. But we don't play the ball from the back, we don't build attacks and we don't retain possession.. So we're not a passing team.. We're full of percentages.. Accept it.

Like I said, there's nothing wrong with being a percentage team.. It works for Sam Allardyce, it can work for us.. Many teams get promoted doing it.. Billy Davies is the king of it..

But it sure aint pretty.

First of all I thought we picked up the ball in the final 3rd?

Secondly how could Coutts have passed to Brayford...we don't do any passing in Area B remember.

The fact that you will not even entertain the idea that it was a good goal pretty much sums you up for me.

First of all I thought we picked up the ball in the final 3rd?

Secondly how could Coutts have passed to Brayford...we don't do any passing in Area B remember.

The fact that you will not even entertain the idea that it was a good goal pretty much sums you up for me.

When have I ever said we don't do any passing in area B.. I said we don't pass through A B C along the floor.. We pass it around in every area of the pitch.. Even along the backline..

I saw a great piece of passing at the back vs Brum.. It went from Lego to Brayford back to lego and Puuuuunt

But we don't try and play more passing moves than hoofs.. We don't.. 90% of the time when the defence or the GK has the ball it's pumped long..

I'm not pig headed at all.. People are tellling me that we're a passing team and passing it off as a fact.. I'm saying it's not.. And then the only evidence they can put forward is one or two moves throughout the match when 90% of the others are caused by long punts...

People are arguing the case because they simply can't accept the truth.. Like EHR mentions about his wife.. She's not the prettiest woman in the world but to him she is.. The same with Derby... Realism is needed, take a step back and look at it through a realitistic mind not the rose-tinited specs (opinions) that are shared here..

I imagine everyteam thinks theirs is the best, think they play the best football and have the best players in the league.. But we can't all be the best and have the best team/players etc.. At least I can be realistic when it comes to this club and not have serious delusions of grandeur..

I want us to improve in every possible way and I'd love to watch us on the box against the big boys.. But the reality is we're a nothing midtable club with an average management and I can see many aspecs in which we can improve.. I can see it, I'm sure you all can too.

We're not a passing team.. A percentage team who can string a few passes together in the final third we are..

First half tonight I would have agreed with the last sentence.

Too many hopeful punts from Legzdins and Keogh.

Second half was a completely different story (even before the sending off)

When have I ever said we don't do any passing in area B.. I said we don't pass through A B C along the floor.. We pass it around in every area of the pitch.. Even along the backline..

I saw a great piece of passing at the back vs Brum.. It went from Lego to Brayford back to lego and Puuuuunt

Wake me up when you change the record.

Watched that goal by Messi the other day that you was creaming yourself over...it was awful defending, so many chances to tackle him missed.

Bris, i tend to agree with what you're saying, but that is just a massive over exagerration, 90% is just plain wrong, im 100% confident if you went through all our games this season and counted every time a member of our defence had the ball under no pressure the hoof percentage would be nowhere near 100%. If you truly believe it's 90% im starting to doubt whether you watch the games, cos it's more like 50% tops.

Bris, i tend to agree with what you're saying, but that is just a massive over exagerration, 90% is just plain wrong, im 100% confident if you went through all our games this season and counted every time a member of our defence had the ball under no pressure the hoof percentage would be nowhere near 100%. If you truly believe it's 90% im starting to doubt whether you watch the games, cos it's more like 50% tops.

Tonight there were 3 or 4 times Keogh punted hopeful balls down the right wing and 5 or 6 long kicks from Legzdins.

Second half everything was rolled out from Legzdins

Cut out the "we" in reference to Derby County. You are no Ram!

Archived