Mark Burton: "Brian Clough would be turning in his grave" at Derby style of play

CumbrianRam

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It twas the back of his leg which took the brunt of Nige's knee. Allegedly.

I don't believe a word of it, not for a minute... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

If Nigel had 'allegedly' kneed him 'allegedly' then he would've struck the poison dwarf around the upper back/ neck area Shirley?

As for passing football, Savage was the master, passed it straight back to where it came from, one touch every time, what a waste of fresh air he was.

When have i ever said that all we do is pass sideways?

It's what the majority of the teams play in this division.. Hence why it borders on dire to average.. The majority play percentage football because they're too worried about mistakes at the back gifting possession away in the final 3rd.. We've played this way under every manager in the past 15 years (bar Burley and Jim Smith)

In fact the majority in England play this way.. Someone said it only takes 7 passes on average to score a goal.. And I think stats proved the majority of goals in England come from defensive mistakes in the final 3rd or 'knockdowns in the final 3rd to build an attack'

I personally hate this way.. Those that say it's passing football really doesn't understand the meaning of passing football.. It's a simple method of recieving the ball in he final 3rd before stringing together a move to unlock the defence.. When we pick up the ball in defence, it's a case of 3 or 4 passes before someone tries the long ball down the line for someone to chase or aim for Sammons head.. Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Hoof is not passing football.

And the stats about possession based football should be miles higher if we're a passing team.. Because 90% of the NPC play the same way.. Any passing team should be wracking up 58% plus possession a game..

Are long passes not allowed or have I missed something?

I watched a team the other week doing hundreds of short passes and do you know what it brought them? They lost 2-1 to Celtic.

Mr Burton is not going to win many admirers coming out with comments like that. He should go and watch our first team play. Clough has Derby trying to play attractive passing football and we do as much as the players we have allow.

You play to your strengths. If your defenders are not ball players then you ask them to defend and that is what the greater percentage of Championship defenders do. They are not comfortable enough on the ball.

That makes for a league whereby the midfield is often sacrificed.

So what. I love the way we (in England) play our football and will defend it.

What I don't need to read on here is somebody constantly telling me how poor our football is and how great football is in Spain or South America. You know what, if our football is so poor then don't watch it.

I have watched Mexican football, Spanish football, Italian football and none of them are as exciting as our product. That is because of our British style.

You can take the English players out of our leagues but you can never take the English style out.

“Brian Clough was one of the best footballing managers this country has ever produced but his son just gets his teams to smash long balls down the channels,” Burton told the Chronicle.

If that's what Burton thinks he knows absolutely nothing about football!

"One of the best?!" The best without any question at all!

So I don't think I'll let any of his comments upset me.

Someone said to me the other day "Nigel's not his dad" and I said," true, but who is?"

It's like saying "He's not another Sinatra!"

Nigel said when he took on the job that he wished his dad was alive to give him advice. Who can blame him?

(and no, bruv this don't rhyme neither!) 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

Are long passes not allowed or have I missed something?

I watched a team the other week doing hundreds of short passes and do you know what it brought them? They lost 2-1 to Celtic.

That team that plays short passes is the best team in footballing history.. That team that plays longball has never even made the quarter final of the CL..

But I never said it was a bad thing.. 2 of the 3 teams that got promoted last season play percentage football.. Only Southampton attempt to play from the back.. And we were awesome to watch under Burley, but Billys percentage football got us further...

I never said we shouldn't play it.. The likes of Sam Allardyce has brought success doing it.. I just say it's boring as hell and it doesn't suit quality technical players at all..

Mr Burton is not going to win many admirers coming out with comments like that. He should go and watch our first team play. Clough has Derby trying to play attractive passing football and we do as much as the players we have allow.

You play to your strengths. If your defenders are not ball players then you ask them to defend and that is what the greater percentage of Championship defenders do. They are not comfortable enough on the ball.

That makes for a league whereby the midfield is often sacrificed.

So what. I love the way we (in England) play our football and will defend it.

What I don't need to read on here is somebody constantly telling me how poor our football is and how great football is in Spain or South America. You know what, if our football is so poor then don't watch it.

I have watched Mexican football, Spanish football, Italian football and none of them are as exciting as our product. That is because of our British style.

You can take the English players out of our leagues but you can never take the English style out.

Football is Spain, Italy, Germany and South America is quality.. And in England 90% of it is rubbish.. But that's my opinion, I'm only expressing it.. If you don't agree, which you don't, then it's not a problem.. If you like the rush and tumble of English football then I'm happy for you..

I'll only ever call and express my opinions strongly when people come out with comments like 'NC has done a marvelous job here' or 'We play exciting passing football' or 'Bueno could never cut it here' or 'Will Hughes could play in the PL now' when comments like this are bordering on delusions of grandeur...

“Brian Clough was one of the best footballing managers this country has ever produced but his son just gets his teams to smash long balls down the channels,” Burton told the Chronicle.

If that's what Burton thinks he knows absolutely nothing about football!

"One of the best?!" The best without any question at all!

So I don't think I'll let any of his comments upset me.

Someone said to me the other day "Nigel's not his dad" and I said," true, but who is?"

It's like saying "He's not another Sinatra!"

Nigel said when he took on the job that he wished his dad was alive to give him advice. Who can blame him?

(and no, bruv this don't rhyme neither!) 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

i thought it was one of your better limericks..

I know.. Have you seen Stoke recently? They get the ball, pass for 5 mins along the back line before hoofing it upfield.. It's soul destroying

True

But this can go some some of the teams you praise all the time.

A prime example is the U21 European championship Spain and England I remember were absolutely boring. England played hoofball and Spain passed along the back 4.

Entertaining football is quick pass and move football where both teams attack with different tactics. Not hoofing it or playing keep ball. You can say barca are amazing and at times score brilliant goals, they can also be very dull when they just pass for the he'll of it.

In my opinion of course.

True

But this can go some some of the teams you praise all the time.

A prime example is the U21 European championship Spain and England I remember were absolutely boring. England played hoofball and Spain passed along the back 4.

Entertaining football is quick pass and move football where both teams attack with different tactics. Not hoofing it or playing keep ball. You can say barca are amazing and at times score brilliant goals, they can also be very dull when they just pass for the he'll of it.

In my opinion of course.

In fairness Barca have always tried looking for more goals.. In every game they're ahead you'll never see them sitting back, hoofing it in the corners... Yes they might keep possession to take the sting out of the game but it's an incredibly hard thing to do against top opposition and they do still try and create chances..

I think people need to be realisitc when they talk about keeping possession for the sake of it.. You'll never find a team keep possession if in a losing position.. They'll always naturally push for another goal.. Some teams in Spain simply retain possession as a means of defence.. If people find this boring, that is their opinion.. I don't agree in the slightest, I find it an art to retain possession and use it not only offensively but defensively also..

The thing that annoyed me the most was the opinion of the Spanish national team at Euro 2012.. I honestly couldn't believe the stuff I was reading.. Despite scoring the most goals, and creating the most chances at the Euros they were criticised for keeping hold of the ball for the sake of it. It just goes to show that English people in general have accustomed to teams hoofing it in the corners as a way of defending resulting in allowing the opposition a chance to build and an attack and force an equaliser instead of retaining possession.. The fact this is nationally accepted and encouraged (when watching neutrals) yet criticised and hounded when the National team do it just goes to show how fickle some English fans are in general..

That team that plays short passes is the best team in footballing history.. That team that plays longball has never even made the quarter final of the CL..

But I never said it was a bad thing.. 2 of the 3 teams that got promoted last season play percentage football.. Only Southampton attempt to play from the back.. And we were awesome to watch under Burley, but Billys percentage football got us further...

I never said we shouldn't play it.. The likes of Sam Allardyce has brought success doing it.. I just say it's boring as hell and it doesn't suit quality technical players at all..

Well football in England has survived on it for over 100 years so not everyone finds it boring.

Give me direct attacking football over tippy tappy boredom any day of the week.

Why waste 50 touches getting the ball to where you can get it in 1?

And don't forget, Barca are the best team in history IN YOUR OPINION.

Football is Spain, Italy, Germany and South America is quality.. And in England 90% of it is rubbish.. But that's my opinion, I'm only expressing it.. If you don't agree, which you don't, then it's not a problem.. If you like the rush and tumble of English football then I'm happy for you..

I'll only ever call and express my opinions strongly when people come out with comments like 'NC has done a marvelous job here' or 'We play exciting passing football' or 'Bueno could never cut it here' or 'Will Hughes could play in the PL now' when comments like this are bordering on delusions of grandeur...

If the footballs so good in those other countries why don't you p1ss off to one of them??? You certainly don't like it in this one. Everyone on here, bar Sideshow, say we've been playing some decent stuff this season so they can't all be deluded can they. And if your only going to change your stance once we're playing to the level of Barcelona who's being delusional now???

[size=3]

BARNSLEY Academy coach Mark Burton has apologised to Derby County manager Nigel Clough for comments he made about the Rams' style of play.[/size][size=3]

Burton was quoted as saying that Nigel Clough's father, Brian, would turn in his grave if he saw the football played by Derby's under-18 and under-21 [url=http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Barnsley-Academy-coach-apologises-comments-Derby/story-17405129-detail/story.html#][size=1]teamshttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1[/size] in fixtures against Barnsley in the past week.[/size][size=3]

Barnsley won last Saturday's under-18 game 3-2 after trailing 2-0 but they suffered a 2-0 defeat in the under-21 game at Mo

or Farm on Monday.

[/size]

[size=3]

[/size][size=3]

In an article in the Barnsley Chronicle, Burton said: "Brian Clough was one of the best footballing managers this country has ever produced but his son just gets his teams to smash long balls down the channels.[/size][size=3]

"Brian Clough would be turning in his grave if he saw the type of football Derby play at all levels now.[/size][size=3]

"The first [url=http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Barnsley-Academy-coach-apologises-comments-Derby/story-17405129-detail/story.html#][size=1]teamhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1[/size] do it and so do the youth teams.[/size][size=3]

"It is not the way to develop [url=http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Barnsley-Academy-coach-apologises-comments-Derby/story-17405129-detail/story.html#][size=1]playershttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1[/size]."[/size][size=3]

Burton has now issued an apology.[/size][size=3]

He said: "What I meant was that Nigel Clough has a different style of management to his father Brian.[/size][size=3]

"The other comments I made were tongue-in-cheek and not meant for publication. Nigel Clough is a proven manager and I have the utmost respect for him."[/size]

Archived