Mark Burton: "Brian Clough would be turning in his grave" at Derby style of play

CumbrianRam

You can't blame him, our academy is awful - when we're bringing through anti-football players like Will Hughes and Mason Bennett they, Barnsley, are bringing through some of the most exciting talent to grace the game of football.

We should be ashamed of our club, manager, academy... oh, please Mark Burton will you come manage us?

'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We play ordinary uninspiring football and hoof the ball alot to the channels..

I think what Mark Burton says is correct.. Anyone who thinks we play passing football is deluded.. We play percentage football..

We have the ability (sometimes) to link up quite well.. But the majority of our play involves hoofing it long, picking up the scraps, and then try and force a passing move.. Rarely do we play the ball from the back.. Our goalkeepers never bowl the ball out or play it to the defenders.. It's root one and hope for the second balls with high pressure..

It's one of the reasons we don't score away from home.. Because we sit back, don't pressure, rarely win the ball in the final 3rd and simply cave like a pack of cards..

To say this season is one of the best for football that we've played in years goes to show how dire it's been for the past 5 years or so.. We're ordinary and boring to watch.. Just like 90% of the NPC..

I think what Mark Burton says is correct.. Anyone who thinks we play passing football is deluded.. We play percentage football..

We have the ability (sometimes) to link up quite well.. But the majority of our play involves hoofing it long, picking up the scraps, and then try and force a passing move.. Rarely do we play the ball from the back.. Our goalkeepers never bowl the ball out or play it to the defenders.. It's root one and hope for the second balls with high pressure..

It's one of the reasons we don't score away from home.. Because we sit back, don't pressure, rarely win the ball in the final 3rd and simply cave like a pack of cards..

To say this season is one of the best for football that we've played in years goes to show how dire it's been for the past 5 years or so.. We're ordinary and boring to watch.. Just like 90% of the NPC..

Totally agree!

Thats Pretty Low by talking abt a Legends son. Each person has his own individuality and should not be associated with anyone Dead. This is an A hole comment from a No-body.

as far as so called Derby Supporters here accepting some truth about that, Let me remind you that NC has played with the Best and has 14 English caps in his name. He is a world class Striker in his day and was fighting for a ST spot with the likes of Ian Rush & Fowler. No mean task at all and was successful.

With the Budget that he has do ppl expect to buy Barcelona type players and play neat football? Even NC would Love to change all that & make em play beautiful Football but he cant cos he has only Lower League Calibre with him. He is forced to adjust with the talent that he has to bring results cos his Job depends on it.

His Recent Signings are however players who wanna pass and play good football and how long will he keep finding those sort of players? His comments post wolves away match show that he was excited with the fact we kept the ball on floor and pressured wolves the right way, But you cannot expect consistency with these sort of players so it will end up playing ugly football not that NC wanted them to play.

All you have to do is Show the finger to Burton and hope NC has implemented his style of play in the side. Stand by your Manager and Team nomatter how worse they are now. Support them when you are convinced that they are giving a 100% effort to change the way they play.

I'd say we play an average amount of hoofball. No more, no less.

At home we play it only when forced

Away we play it more because we get a bit deep and we struggle for fluency.

A lot of teams call passing football 10 passes along the 18 yard box, 2 passes to a midfielder and back again and the HOOF!!

That's not passing football. Thats defensive time wasting football. Not good for that much to be honest. We don't do too much of that either. We just sometimes get stuck on the halfway line. Which is why Ward is vital and a striker needs to perform for us to function.

I don't know bris one week u say we only pass it sideways, the next it's hoofball into the channels.

If I didn't know better i would think that u only say these things to get a reaction, either that or someone turned your montior on its side.

No our football isn't like brazil, but for this league it's on a par with around 90% of the other clubs, and sometimes we do play it on the floor, just that once we are in the lead we tend to become a bit negative.

I've only see us a few times this season, but I would argue we play it on the deck more than we hoof it. Even at Palace on Saturday, for the majority of the first half we were attempting to ping it about on the grass - just a pity when the ball arrived in the final third we'd bottle it.

Don't get me wrong, there are definitely moments where the only ball being played is one being directed firmly at the heavens, but in terms of ratio I would say we play about 65% attempted passing play to 35% hoofing.

Nigel won't even react to it. He brushes nonsense aside like with Evans and Billy.

He's certainly not like Pearson, Warnock or Holloway who love cameras.

He reacted to Billy, I remember him kicking him up the arse (allegedly).

He reacted to Billy, I remember him kicking him up the arse (allegedly).

It twas the back of his leg which took the brunt of Nige's knee. Allegedly.

I don't believe a word of it, not for a minute... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

I don't know bris one week u say we only pass it sideways, the next it's hoofball into the channels.

If I didn't know better i would think that u only say these things to get a reaction, either that or someone turned your montior on its side.

No our football isn't like brazil, but for this league it's on a par with around 90% of the other clubs, and sometimes we do play it on the floor, just that once we are in the lead we tend to become a bit negative.

When have i ever said that all we do is pass sideways?

It's what the majority of the teams play in this division.. Hence why it borders on dire to average.. The majority play percentage football because they're too worried about mistakes at the back gifting possession away in the final 3rd.. We've played this way under every manager in the past 15 years (bar Burley and Jim Smith)

In fact the majority in England play this way.. Someone said it only takes 7 passes on average to score a goal.. And I think stats proved the majority of goals in England come from defensive mistakes in the final 3rd or 'knockdowns in the final 3rd to build an attack'

I personally hate this way.. Those that say it's passing football really doesn't understand the meaning of passing football.. It's a simple method of recieving the ball in he final 3rd before stringing together a move to unlock the defence.. When we pick up the ball in defence, it's a case of 3 or 4 passes before someone tries the long ball down the line for someone to chase or aim for Sammons head.. Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Hoof is not passing football.

And the stats about possession based football should be miles higher if we're a passing team.. Because 90% of the NPC play the same way.. Any passing team should be wracking up 58% plus possession a game..

Archived