Derby County v Birmingham City

CumbrianRam

Makes me laugh when things like this get said. "Anyone can do that" or the usual "I can do better than that!".

No, no they can't. Or else poor "footballers" like Sammon and Theo wouldn't be there, if there were an abundance of players who could do their jobs for free Nigel and his staff would have snapped them up. The same goes for any football club, how many players out there demand price tags similar to Sammon despite their ability on the ball? Hundreds.

I wish these free, half athletic people would go for a trial if they are as good as Sammon before other clubs get a sniff.

We're talking about work-rate, that's not something that makes you a talented footballer mate.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why? The whole basis of our existence at the moment is keeping to a budget whilst trying to progress. When we spend a large amount of that budget on a poor player questions should be asked.

You're praising him for things that any half athletic person in the world could do.

Anyone can chase every ball and not let a defence settle. Anyone can compete with a defender for a header. I dont understand the praise of footballers for the useful physical things they do during a game. They should be praised and judged for the things they do with the football.

I agree that Robinson was far worse, i didnt think i needed to mention him cos his performance was soo bad it was hard to believe he's making a living from football.

He's poor in your opinion. Mine, and it seems like alot of others, is that he had a good game and is a decent player. He needs to weigh in with more goals but to completely write him off seems a little far fetched.

I'm not praising him for things any half athletic person could do. I'm half athletic but I couldn't make a defences life hard by never letting them having time on the ball. Will Hughes is a superb talent but doesn't know how to make a tackle. Football isn't all about what you do with the ball in your possession, even Barcelona have a strategy for when they're without the ball. I'm praising him because I think he offers something that no other striker in the team can.

I'm not a professional football manager and neither are you (or are you?!) but there's a reason several people who are paid to manage teams have paid money for him, they can't all be wrong and I think he's proven that today.

I personally thought we played well today. Everyone in the team bar Theo. Terrible conditions and against a team with a good strike duo.

Sammon won more than his usual fair Share of headers and was good with the ball. Took him a while to get it under control at times but people are knocking him after scoring two goals!

Jacobs and Hughes excellent. Would like to see our minefields break a little more often, when Coutts and Bryson do this we pose more threat.

Defence coped well. Didn't see any problems with Buxton. Team a little flat for the first 20 of the second half but that was Birminghams time.

Good to see us compete till the end.

Great atmosphere.

About sums it up.

Thread closed.

We're talking about work-rate, that's not something that makes you a talented footballer mate.

Obviously not, but a good attribute to have.

If Sammon only has work rate and is not a talented footballer, why is he playing NPC football, demanding a good fee with a decent wage no doubt? He's got a lot more to his locker than work rate, hence why "anyone half athletic" wouldn't be just as good. Exactly why me, you, all these free players people talk of haven't got a chance in the world of football.

Theo Robinson on the other hand, he's fluked the system.

I thought Buxton was worse than Sammon. He got bailed out a few times but his pass clearance led to the peno if irc. I have no idea what it was so I'll call it a 'touch'

He didn't even jump v Zigic in the build up to the second. He was often dragged into no mans land leaving Keogh with a lot of area to look out for.

I just though he was poor. Like last week.

Usually though I don't see why some didn't like him. He's made more errors in 7 days than he has since he arrived.

Buxton was poor, would have preferred O'Connor.

Sammon was good, took his goal well, got the rub of the green from the first one.

The FLS comments were a little daft though.. King complaining about being outmuscled by Will Hughes? Just made my dislike for Moron King greater. We see worse happening in the goalmouth with nothing coming from it, so why would something far away from the run of play get a look in?

Obviously not, but a good attribute to have.

If Sammon only has work rate and is not a talented footballer, why is he playing NPC football, demanding a good fee with a decent wage no doubt? He's got a lot more to his locker than work rate, hence why "anyone half athletic" wouldn't be just as good. Exactly why me, you, all these free players people talk of haven't got a chance in the world of football.

Theo Robinson on the other hand, he's fluked the system.

What so cos Nigel Clough gave all this to him he must be good? Cos Clough is never wrong?

His overall goal record just makes it even stranger that he's on a good wage and playing in the Championship.

Based on his entire career up till now, we can assume he's never gunna be a goal scorer, even Clough himself said after the game he's not a goal scorer. So for him to be useful other parts of his game need to be very good, yet his ball control is poor, so all he's offering the side are physical attributes.

Bet Sammon was gutted Tyson was in front of him. I've no doubt he would have tapped that last goal in just behind Tyson. Could have been our first league hatrick in donkeys years. And would have been extremely ironic, given how average / poor (depending on which post I read) he was.

Especially as, when he doesn't score, it's okay cos he's there to hold the ball up, not score goals. When he does score he gets criticised. Well his contribution as a ball holder upper is appreciated, but if he can start putting away two a match from now on, he can spend the rest of the match with his thumb up his arse for all I care. Not sure what my point is, but I think, in summary, well done Connor.

Archived