Derby County v Birmingham City

CumbrianRam

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a game.

Possibly one of the best matches at Pride Park in a long time, very exiting.

Michael Jacobs, wow. What a first half, ran the show! + Bet Conor is loving it at the minute, two well deserved goals today.

Theo 'Tinks AKA, goal scorer' Robinson had a shocker, Nathan Tyson needs to start Tuesday in my opinion.

Brum fans were quite decent, bit of banter flying round which is always welcomed. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

Tough game Tuesday, but if we play like we did today, hopefully we'll get another 3 points.

U-T-R.

How can you say Sammon was awful, did you go to the game ? He did the job he was brought here to do. Be a target man and contribute to goals. He did all of that today, weather it was a scuffed finish or not.

No, i watched it on telly, being at the game you must have missed his dreadful first touches and inability to keep hold of the ball.

He's a target man who has no control over the ball in any way.

All i heard from Nigel, Barker and who ever else said it was how great his work rate is. This single thing p*sses me off more than anything else in football. He cost 1 million pounds and you're pleased with his work rate, that makes no logical sense what so ever, i could find you a whole host of players free of charge with great work rate.

Im pleased with the win but watching Theo and Sammon attempt to play football saddened me, cos the rest of the side isnt looking too bad. If we had a couple of decent strikers we could actually mount a play off challenge. Dont mean to compare us to Forest but if we had Sharp and Cox up front we could be a quality side.

No, i watched it on telly, being at the game you must have missed his dreadful first touches and inability to keep hold of the ball.

All i heard from Nigel, Barker and who ever else said it was how great his work rate is. This single thing p*sses me off more than anything else in football. He cost 1 million pounds and you're pleased with his work rate, that makes no logical sense what so ever, i could find you a whole host of players free of charge with great work rate.

Im pleased with the win but watching Theo and Sammon attempt to play football saddened me, cos the rest of the side isnt looking too bad. If we had a couple of decent strikers we could actually mount a play off challenge. Dont mean to compare us to Forest but if we had Sharp and Cox up front we could be a quality side.

You need to forget about how much he cost.

Andy Carroll is a very good footballer. If Liverpool had paid £10m for him, he probably would have been held in much higher regard. It's not his fault someone was willing to spend £35m on him.

I thought he played well today, ran at the defence and brought the wide players in to it, particularly on the right hand side - I've just watched it again and there's a few occasions where he's come deep for the ball, passed to Brayford or Coutts and started an attack. He also chases every single ball and makes it difficult for teams to settle. You can't quantify that in stats, only by watching.

If you thought he had a stinker and bagged 2, then surely that's an effective centre forward performance? Some of the greats - Rush, Owen, Van Nistelrooy - went missing in games, then popped up with a goal. If a forward is getting two goals in a game, then he's done ok in my book. In terms of being ineffective and offering nothing to the team I'd say Robinson was far worse than Sammon today, just an opinion.

You make a valid point, we could perhaps do with better strikers but I don't see the current options holding the side back. Particularly when Ward comes back we have another offensive option.

A deserved victory but boy did we made hard work of it. We completely surrendered the initiative in the second half and almost squandered what was looking a very comfortable three points at one stage. But to be fair, we showed character. After their second goal, we'd have probably tried to protect a point and ended up losing in years gone by. But it was great to see that we were positive in the last 10 minutes.

Birmingham seemed to grow into the game and certainly their pace and power was a problem for us. They seemed an altogether different proposition in the second half. They played with much more purpose compared to the first half which we controlled without fuss.

Jacobs was very lively in the first half. He's not the quickest but he's direct and intelligent with the ball at his feet. He was causing their defence all kinds of problems and deserved a goal. He seemed to fade somewhat in the second half but his all-round contribution was very good.

Brayford and Coutts linked up well as usual but Coutts tired towards the end. Sammon didn't have much joy at all tonight but it's good for his confidence if nothing else that he scored two goals without being a threat. Robinson was just frustrating. You can see what he's trying to do but it was just one of those nights where it just didn't click for him. He had the right ideas but not the ability to follow through.

What did they put in Keogh's half-time lucozade? Keogh's second-half performance was so erratic and so unlike him. You can see as well that it had a domino effect and rubbed off on those around him.

It'll be interesting to see how Nigel approaches Tuesday's game. I feel he'll be tempted to bring in Hendrick for Robinson and pack the midfield. Instead I hope he is a bit more daring and sticks with 4-4-2 and just a straight swap of Robinson for Tyson, who has been knocking at the door for some time and will freshen things up.

You need to forget about how much he cost.

Andy Carroll is a very good footballer. If Liverpool had paid £10m for him, he probably would have been held in much higher regard. It's not his fault someone was willing to spend £35m on him.

I thought he played well today, ran at the defence and brought the wide players in to it, particularly on the right hand side - I've just watched it again and there's a few occasions where he's come deep for the ball, passed to Brayford or Coutts and started an attack. He also chases every single ball and makes it difficult for teams to settle. You can't quantify that in stats, only by watching.

If you thought he had a stinker and bagged 2, then surely that's an effective centre forward performance? Some of the greats - Rush, Owen, Van Nistelrooy - went missing in games, then popped up with a goal. If a forward is getting two goals in a game, then he's done ok in my book. In terms of being ineffective and offering nothing to the team I'd say Robinson was far worse than Sammon today, just an opinion.

You make a valid point, we could perhaps do with better strikers but I don't see the current options holding the side back. Particularly when Ward comes back we have another offensive option.

Why? The whole basis of our existence at the moment is keeping to a budget whilst trying to progress. When we spend a large amount of that budget on a poor player questions should be asked.

You're praising him for things that any half athletic person in the world could do.

Anyone can chase every ball and not let a defence settle. Anyone can compete with a defender for a header. I dont understand the praise of footballers for the useful physical things they do during a game. They should be praised and judged for the things they do with the football.

I agree that Robinson was far worse, i didnt think i needed to mention him cos his performance was soo bad it was hard to believe he's making a living from football.

I agree with you about the fee, no way should we be paying 1 million + for a striker who isn't a 'natural goalscorer', especially seeing as money is limited, but we can't control nigels signings. 1 million or not he was effective today, hopefully nigel puts him upfront with a partner on tuesday instead of playing negative away from home.

Makes me laugh when things like this get said. "Anyone can do that" or the usual "I can do better than that!".

No, no they can't. Or else poor "footballers" like Sammon and Theo wouldn't be there, if there were an abundance of players who could do their jobs for free Nigel and his staff would have snapped them up. The same goes for any football club, how many players out there demand price tags similar to Sammon despite their ability on the ball? Hundreds.

I wish these free, half athletic people would go for a trial if they are as good as Sammon before other clubs get a sniff.

I personally thought we played well today. Everyone in the team bar Theo. Terrible conditions and against a team with a good strike duo.

Sammon won more than his usual fair Share of headers and was good with the ball. Took him a while to get it under control at times but people are knocking him after scoring two goals!

Jacobs and Hughes excellent. Would like to see our minefields break a little more often, when Coutts and Bryson do this we pose more threat.

Defence coped well. Didn't see any problems with Buxton. Team a little flat for the first 20 of the second half but that was Birminghams time.

Good to see us compete till the end.

Great atmosphere.

I agree with you about the fee, no way should we be paying 1 million + for a striker who isn't a 'natural goalscorer', especially seeing as money is limited, but we can't control nigels signings. 1 million or not he was effective today, hopefully nigel puts him upfront with a partner on tuesday instead of playing negative away from home.

We're at home on tuesday mate 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Archived