Derby County v Birmingham City

CumbrianRam

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Legz 6 - Did alright, could do nothing about the penalty, made an important interception when he came out to clear it with his feet.

Brayford 8 - Got forward very well, back to his best

Keogh 6 - Gave the penalty away but made some very good blocks that looked goal bound

Buxton 6 - Wasn't great, distribution a bit iffy, but came up against the biggest guy in the league

Roberts 6 - Few good things, few bad things

Coutts 7 - Linked up well with Brayford, but lost the ball a bit too much

Hughes 6 - Didn't get on the ball as much as he would of liked, lost the ball with a bad touch on a few occasions, very unlike him and bailed out on quite a few 50:50's. Much better in the second half

Bryson 7 - Usual running about business, constantly pressing, did the 'dirty' work for Hughes

Jacobs 8 - Very creative, caused the defence problems, took on players time after time, and helped create the 1st and 3rd goal. Should keep his place for Tuesday.

Sammon 7 - Would of been a 5 if it was not for his two goals, held the ball up relatively well, but his first touch is somewhat lacking

Robinson 4 - Poor, pace caused problems, but so would Tyson's, had a good opportunity to score and didn't even hit the target

Tyson - Did very well when he came on, the goal, wasn't difficult to score, but he still got in the right areas. Should start on Tuesday.

After two losses it was good to see a decent performance and win. Don't know why the usual suspects end up debating who was "rubbish" and who wasn't and how "poor" Brum were and how we don't pass etc etc.

Strange way to support your team. Takes all sorts I suppose.

Not really, it's simply debating what we all saw, which is what these boards are for. I'm sure everyone is delighted with the win, but that doesn't mean people can't talk about individual performances or analysing how the team can improve. That's exactly what supporters do.

Only just got round to posting. A really enjoyable game, especially the rollercoaster of the last 20 minutes. Although I work In Birmingham on most Saturdays, I retreated to a safe haven that is my mate's house to watch it, didn't fancy getting my head kicked in (especially if a bunch of lads thought I was a Villa fan or something!) I made his cats jump and run out of the room when the winner went in.

I think the game summed up a lot of what is good and not so good about us at the moment. Our passing in the first half was excellent without creating too many chances, we pressed and harried Birmingham and didn't give them much of a chance, and they only looked like doing anything the moment Hall was brought on. The team spirit and commitment was first rate, and we are turning Pride Park into a fortress. On the other hand, our defending is alarmingly suspect at times, and we have a tendency to throw away glorious opportunities (here's looking at you, Theo). At 1-1, I was angry, not just at the fact that nasty vile piece of work King scored the equaliser, but that we should have been home and dry by that point. However, this season we've scored more late winners since perhaps the Billy Davies era, so we're clearly mastering the art of getting substitutions right.

All in all, very pleased with a decent result and a cracking match. I'm not going to go down the 'assessing Conor Sammon' route seeing as I don't really know too much about football tactics (unlike some people though, I can at least admit to this!) but I made an observation regarding the accusations of hoofball. Although we do still do it at times, we are moving towards playing a pressing game involving passing it along the floor. It's not perfect, but it's refreshing and matches the energy and enthusiasm of the team. I think one thing that will reduce any future hoofing will be finding the right LB replacement for Gareth Roberts. A good, solid player, Roberts does have a tendency to play the long ball at times, which contrasts with the bombing forward that Brayford does so well, and makes our attacks a little lopsided at times (I noticed the commentator saying all of our threat came from the right at one point). A LB that will take a man on like Brayford and will link well with Ward or Jacobs could improve our game significantly. Maybe Hoganson is being lined up for this, or Danny Grainger from Hearts or whoever.

Special mention for Jacobs, who I thought really made a case for further first team action. I thought it was harsh that he didn't start games earlier in the season, but he looked really up for it last night. He doesn't always get it right, and often takes a touch too much (AC/DC reference, anyone?!), but he definitely has the potential to become a real attacking threat at this level, or at worst an able deputy for Jamie Ward. Look at the way Jacobs set up the third goal, he waited, wanted the ball when Coutts had it, and timed his run to perfection to deliver a superb set up from Hughes's pass. Brilliantly done, pleased for the lad.

Just watching the first half again, and the first challenge on Jacobs in the box is a penalty surely? he gets through and spector puts his right foot directly infront of jacobs who is running through, a blatent trip in the box - surprised no more has been made of that.

I am massively mystified at why people don't rate Sammon, it eludes me. Okay, I don't go to away games, and from what I gather he hasn't been that good away from home - but he has looked a massive asset from when I've seen him.

Blackpool defenders said he is the best centre forward they've come up against this season - and whatever way you look at it, he is a focal point for our team. Doesn't score enough goals because we paid 1.2million for him? as I said how many teams in this division have strikers either on ridiculous wages, or paid big money for...

Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion, but, in my opinion he is a good player, and our best striker by some distance. There isn't many strikers at this level I would swap him for, and certainly not many(if any) we'd get for 1.2million on a similar wage.

I am massively mystified at why people don't rate Sammon, it eludes me. Okay, I don't go to away games, and from what I gather he hasn't been that good away from home - but he has looked a massive asset from when I've seen him.

Blackpool defenders said he is the best centre forward they've come up against this season - and whatever way you look at it, he is a focal point for our team. Doesn't score enough goals because we paid 1.2million for him? as I said how many teams in this division have strikers either on ridiculous wages, or paid big money for...

Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion, but, in my opinion he is a good player, and our best striker by some distance. There isn't many strikers at this level I would swap him for, and certainly not many(if any) we'd get for 1.2million on a similar wage.

Your right with What your saying.But when you have such a SMALL transfer budget and you put all your faith into one player it can make the fans judge them even more.If gets a few more whether they are off side or scruffed efforts then people im sure will start the Feed the fish he will score stuff.For a big guy he is very fast and i like very much his little and large partnership with ward.To make all the players happy you should have sammon and ward at home and Theo and tyson away.

On a real posistive point.I massively believe jacobs will score alot of goals he has real shot having watched a couple of the northampton videos when we signed him and thinking we got the real deal here.In the last couple of games we have seen it.He is very skillful i would like to see freeman in at left back and get a Coutts/Brayford combo happening on the left with Freeman/Jacobs as Freeman has pace and Really good stamina so he can track back.As in many games when we are dominating its always coming down the right so if a team manage to deal with it we dont have another attacking outlet.

I think from watching the u21s alot of players are stepping up.For people who are unaware of some of the players it looks very promising Lelan and Dales look very good.Naylor looked assured very tall and good passer.Bennett looks better but seems as if in the future he may be injury prone.Michael hoganson seems a better Left midfielder but is more likely to get offered a new deal if he works defensively.Ben davies looks like he would offer us somthing still maybe some experience in the midfield.Then despite the Boo boys Connor doyle has been the u21s best player very adaptable to different posistions even though he meant to be a striker he looks good as a Defensive midfielder composed and right passers.

Cant you see his lack of ability on the ball? You must be blind if you can. I dunno about anyone else, but i could watch anyone play football for about 5 minutes and tell you whether they've got good control of a football or not. First time you see Hughes touch a football you can tell he's got it, the movement with the ball at his feet and awareness of people around him shows you he's got that ability.

When you watch Sammon, he's all arms and legs and his ability to hold the ball up is woeful. Saying you wouldnt swap him for any other striker in the league is one of the most ridiculous statement I've ever read, and there really is no hope for the club if the fans believe this. You're saying this about a player where i could easily name at least 5 games where he's done absolutely nothing throughout the game as his inability to hold the ball up is a massive hinderance towards our play, especially away from home.

He's nothing more than a white Emile Heskey.

Cant you see his lack of ability on the ball? You must be blind if you can. I dunno about anyone else, but i could watch anyone play football for about 5 minutes and tell you whether they've got good control of a football or not. First time you see Hughes touch a football you can tell he's got it, the movement with the ball at his feet and awareness of people around him shows you he's got that ability.

When you watch Sammon, he's all arms and legs and his ability to hold the ball up is woeful. Saying you wouldnt swap him for any other striker in the league is one of the most ridiculous statement I've ever read, and there really is no hope for the club if the fans believe this. You're saying this about a player where i could easily name at least 5 games where he's done absolutely nothing throughout the game as his inability to hold the ball up is a massive hinderance towards our play, especially away from home.

He's nothing more than a white Emile Heskey.

I would say you're wrong.

but what do I know, I'm blind - apparently 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' />

You're saying this about a player where i could easily name at least 5 games where he's done absolutely nothing throughout the game as his inability to hold the ball up is a massive hinderance towards our play, especially away from home.

Bit of a rubbish example, you could say that about every striker in the league so far this season.

I could name 10 games where he's played ok to good in. Just like most strikers so far this season...

I'd be interested to know the massive hindrances you speak of mind, he's not played well in a few games away from home but I feel thats a tad over the top.

Archived