Why play Buxton over O,Connor

Curtains

yes he was, everyone has bad games but they weren't glaring errors you make it sound like he just stood there, i already said if you're going to blame anyone blame clough, you shouldn't mess with a steady back 4. but for all we know O'Connor could have been worse. bucko's had fantastic games this season as has o'connnor and at times you are unfairly harsh on bucko. they're both as good as each other.

and if you're more concerned about a team performance then there was more than one person to criticise, not just bucko.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes he was, everyone has bad games but they weren't glaring errors you make it sound like he just stood there, i already said if you're going to blame anyone blame clough, you shouldn't mess with a steady back 4. but for all we know O'Connor could have been worse. bucko's had fantastic games this season as has o'connnor and at times you are unfairly harsh on bucko. they're both as good as each other.

and if you're more concerned about a team performance then there was more than one person to criticise, not just bucko.

They were glaring errors. Buxton was woeful, and yes, he did "just stand there".

Without wanting to sound like I'm reopening the Shackell debate, we lost both our first choice centre backs from last season in Barker & Shackell. O'Brien hasn't yet got back up to speed.

With only Keogh added to the first team, this gives Clough the choice of last season's fourth choice in Buxton, who I have always seen as a squad player, or O'Connor who is not a Centre Back.

Unfortunately, it seems this was seen to be adequate whilst we wait for Barker to return to fitness, providing he reaches the standard he was playing at previously.

So, same as everything at Derby at the minute, long term strategy that has low cost impact and will do for the time being.

Buxton was poor yesterday. He hadn't really put a foot wrong since joining until about 5 games ago, but a few mistakes are creeping in.

Maybe playing at this level every week for the first time has taken it's toll. Maybe a break might help him. Maybe actually watching Richard Keogh from the bench might benefit him.

I really like Buxton and think he's a decent Championship defender, but O'Brien's return is welcome. Don't think Buxton should be dropped long term but a bit of time out could help him.

I really thought Buko was ok yesterday, perhaps made a few defensive errors, but made one or two vital interceptions and his distribution was still good.

Don't get me wrong, O'Connor and Keogh are very good with the ball at their feet, I just like Bucko's tendency to pass the ball forwards to Bryson or Hughes. The other two tend to dish it out sideways.

Archived