Celtic Beat Barca in Champions League

Curtains

Disagree I'm afraid, they are poor at the back, football is not all about attacking play. Arsenal went a whole season without getting beat in the league, did the 70's brazil team not win the World Cup by destroying everything that was in front of them, man utd winning the treble, Barcelona may have been up there a couple of years ago but not now, they are a good team, but they are not invincible, far from it, Celtic nearly drew with them, then beat them, Chelsea last season knocked them out, and they didn't even win their domestic league last year.

Barca could win La Liga too though, and the CL, and the Copa Del Rey. This team could do the treble. The Brazil '70 side played, what, 12 games that World Cup? A true test of that side would be to watch them all-year round in the not-so-significant games.

Barcelona are a known quantity now, it's effectively been the same players for half a decade. Every game they play you have 90 minutes of footage from 27 different cameras. Every manager has to know them inside out because if you beat Barca, you're going to be remembered for it. For any team in La Liga or the Champions League, beating them is the ultimate thing you can do.

And yet, they've still not been totally sussed out. Losing to Celtic or even Chelsea is not enough for me to say that they're not the greatest ever club side. For this bunch, their time is running out, and they will probably be a little weaker for the next couple of years as they go through this transitional stage fully integrating Thiago, Cuenca, Tello, Alba, Roberto, Rafinha, Deulofeu and so on.

My main point is that no side that has ever played the game has been infallible and even the Arsenal side which had not lost in the league didn't win everything that season, they lost in domestic cup competitions and in Europe, but that doesn't deny their status as a great side and one of the best this country has ever seen.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barca could win La Liga too though, and the CL, and the Copa Del Rey. This team could do the treble. The Brazil '70 side played, what, 12 games that World Cup? A true test of that side would be to watch them all-year round in the not-so-significant games.

Barcelona are a known quantity now, it's effectively been the same players for half a decade. Every game they play you have 90 minutes of footage from 27 different cameras. Every manager has to know them inside out because if you beat Barca, you're going to be remembered for it. For any team in La Liga or the Champions League, beating them is the ultimate thing you can do.

And yet, they've still not been totally sussed out. Losing to Celtic or even Chelsea is not enough for me to say that they're not the greatest ever club side. For this bunch, their time is running out, and they will probably be a little weaker for the next couple of years as they go through this transitional stage fully integrating Thiago, Cuenca, Tello, Alba, Roberto, Rafinha, Deulofeu and so on.

My main point is that no side that has ever played the game has been infallible and even the Arsenal side which had not lost in the league didn't win everything that season, they lost in domestic cup competitions and in Europe, but that doesn't deny their status as a great side and one of the best this country has ever seen.

Why would a true test be to watch them in the not-so-significant games, they dont matter, they had a job and did it.

Barcleona have weaknesses to me that can be exploited, they are at times one dimensional, and are not a side when you come up against that arent feared anymore. They may win the treble, but the point is they havent as yet, they are conceding goals, and Messi words that they conceded the first goal because they are bigger than us was laughable. Yes they are still the team to beat, but they are not the greatest team ever, it could be argued that two years ago they were, but not now.

Of course thats IMO, and Im sure we could debate for ever, but its an argument that will never be settled, and I agree with most of what your saying :-)

Why would a true test be to watch them in the not-so-significant games, they dont matter, they had a job and did it.

Barcleona have weaknesses to me that can be exploited, they are at times one dimensional, and are not a side when you come up against that arent feared anymore. They may win the treble, but the point is they havent as yet, they are conceding goals, and Messi words that they conceded the first goal because they are bigger than us was laughable. Yes they are still the team to beat, but they are not the greatest team ever, it could be argued that two years ago they were, but not now.

Of course thats IMO, and Im sure we could debate for ever, but its an argument that will never be settled, and I agree with most of what your saying :-)

Not sure that we disagree at all, two years ago they were the best team ever I agree and it's still largely the same team, so while they aren't now, they were so still are because none of them are dead...if you get me.

They're the best team I've seen.

Well, Pep's side were. 14 trophies? Scored tons, concede few. You could name 10 of the best players in each position in the world and you'd end up with Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi and Villa pretty much without any debate. All played together. They are great, great players who have won everything possible (except Messi).

I think their downfall will be the stubbornness. To not have a 'plan b'. To not buy a certain player because they'd rather produce from within. To not buy a CB!!! It has to be said that this stubbornness also got them where they are.

All you can do is be better than what's in front of you. And they have out scored, out played and won more trophies than anyone else recently. They have inspired teams and philosophises around the world. That to me is something I've enjoyed and want to enjoy watching.

But for this particular game v Celtic or Chelsea or Inter in 2010?? 20 shots needs to end in a goal or two. Score first and the other team can't park the bus. Every time they lose, they lose the same way. That's a weakness. If they want to win the "Barca way" then keep taking this on the chin. If they want to win all the time then they need a 'plan b'. They've taken no steps to dealing with their problems. Can't complain. And they haven't tbf. They've been very complimentary of Celtic.

It is impossible to tell which is the best team in history. Only the best currently.

I agree with mummy's boy for once, different pitches, balls, boots, rules these days. Whilst you can't argue Barca have been the best team in recent history it's impossible to say ever.

The same applies to the Messi, Pele, Maradonna best player ever debate after every record Messi breaks.

put simply, they are they best team.

But, when a team figures out how to beat them, they cannot counter it. This has been exposed in a couple of high profile games.

Pundits always say that winning the scrappy games, or the games that you don't play well in is the mark of a good team.

Barca don't like playing against spoilers.

And that is a Mexican Fact.

TBF this debate about who was/is the best ever football team only has one answer.

Derby County FC 1969 - 1976. The profound brilliance of that team will never be matched. The extraordinary talent of Hector, McFarland, Todd, Gemmill was the heartbeat of the world's greatest club team ever in the history of greatest club teams, of all time.

For 6 seasons Derby ruled the top league in England in a swashbuckling style that simply blew away the inept challenges of Liverpool, Manchester City, Chelsea, Leeds United, Manchester United and Arsenal who could only marvel and applaud the thrashings dished out to them by the Mighty. Mighty, Derby.

The Rams strode the top stage like a colossus as they completed a six season period with 2 Championships and 4 high placings giving them the best overall performance of all time.

I'm sure other teams may have played well occasionally, just not for as long and consistently as Derby did.

Archived