This year v last year

PistoldPete

Well as things stand, we're on our best points total for this point in a season, only by 3, but as we didn't have the blistering start that we've had in previous seasons it might be a sign that we're finally starting to get a bit more consistent overall. After the next game I'll put up a little piece on where we are in comparison to last year. I could put it up now, as I've got the graphs, but... you know, it'll be the 23 game and all... The halfway point seems like a good time for it.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well as things stand, we're on our best points total for this point in a season, only by 3, but as we didn't have the blistering start that we've had in previous seasons it might be a sign that we're finally starting to get a bit more consistent overall. After the next game I'll put up a little piece on where we are in comparison to last year. I could put it up now, as I've got the graphs, but... you know, it'll be the 23 game and all... The halfway point seems like a good time for it.

Sure, just thought that being 11 poinst ahead of last year on head to head comparison of games is significant. Especially as we finished er... 11 points short of the play offs . Just saying.

Thing is with Clough its slowy slowly catchee monkey. Took 10 years at Burton. And will take a while of gradual year by year improvements here too.

Albert an interesting comparison would be after December which is notoriously our worst month, comparing with other seasons.

Oh and a points per game rolling comparison would show if consistency is really improving - flatlining would be great in that case.

Sure thing, below are plots of a 6 game running average of our points per game over the season. Basically, it's our form over the season rated from 0 to 3, 0 being 6 losses on the trot, and 3 being 6 wins on the trot, neither of which have happened over Nigel's management. Please note that averages right at the start are of time frames less than 6 games, and will show apparently huge jumps in form, this is down to the averaging. The plots are by game number and points per game, enjoy:

WkrPl

This is just information soup, a bit much to digest to be honest. Here they are with only two seasons selected:

2012/13 and 2011/12:

yrvRQ

2012/13 and 2010/11:

Tveyv

2012/13 and 2009/10:

lF0hV

I have no made one for comparisons with 2008-09 as it is a half season. Other comparisons for those interested:

2010/11 and 2011/12

2009/10 and 2010/11

2009/10 and 2011/12

2009/10, 2010/11 and 2011/12

I actually never sat down to think of it, but our home record against the top half last season was quite poor. We only got around 0.91 ppg at home during those games, whilst we got 1.00 for the away fixtures. Odd... Maybe our home record this season may have a big effect for these games?

This next 4 games could be crucial as well. All games are crucial though. If we could somehow pick up 3 wins from the 4 though (maybe... two home games...) we could very well be sitting in the playoffs on New Years day. Not likely, but that could be a huge few games for us. I only say that because we won 4 on the trot around the same time last year to get ourselves back within touching distance of the playoffs.

I actually never sat down to think of it, but our home record against the top half last season was quite poor. We only got around 0.91 ppg at home during those games, whilst we got 1.00 for the away fixtures. Odd... Maybe our home record this season may have a big effect for these games.

It's not that odd. Last season we were very much a 'solid at the back and hit teams on the break' kind of side, so in away games when the opposing side came at us we did better, we could absorb the pressure and score on the break. Hence the large number of 1-0 away wins. At home, when teams sat back against us we were less effective.

This season is the opposite - we are much more progressive and much better at creating chances and breaking teams down, but away from home we don't seem to quite have the defensive discipline to eek out the 1-0 wins.

The away problems are odd. The last 4 non Forest away games I have been to, we have dominated parts of the game and could/should have won We lost all four. We just don't seem to have the correct mentality in both penalty areas.

The away problems are odd. The last 4 non Forest away games I have been to, we have dominated parts of the game and could/should have won We lost all four. We just don't seem to have the correct mentality in both penalty areas.

been all bar 3 games so far this season and we show a lack of cutting edge away from home, at home it's refreshing to see us show only small amounts of respect to teams yet away we play positive for small parts and that seems to be all, hopefully the Bristol game is a turning point eh!

I don't know much about this whole football thing, but we look much less 'streaky' this year. I could take this type of year in consistency. Right now, I'm feeling good. It sounds a whole lot better when I get to listen than it ever did last year. We fall off and grow complacent with a lead but even that seems be at least improving.

• 3 weeks later...

Last years results in brackets, and points difference shown.

its official. We are better this year.

Derby 2-0 Barnsley ( 1-1) +2

Derby 4-1 Blackpool (2-1) 0

Peterborough 3-0 Derby (3-2) 0

Ipswich 1-2 Derby (1-0) +3

Derby 1-1 Blackburn

Derby 0-0 Brighton (0-1) +1

Middlesbrough 2-2 Derby (2-0) +1

Nottm Forest 0-1 Derby (1-2) 0

Derby 1-2 Burnley (2-4) 0

Derby 3-2 Charlton

Huddersfield1-0 Derby

Derby 5-1Watford (1-2) +3

Wolves 1-1Derby

Bolton 2-0 Derby

Derby 2-2 Sheff Wed

10 points better off in the 9 directly comparable matches.

I'd draw a graph but thats too hard.

Derby 3-1 Leeds (1-0)

Leicester 4-1Derby (4-0)

Derby 1-1Cardiff (0-3) +1

Derby 3-2 Birmingham (2-1)

Crystal Palace 3-0 Derby (1-1) -1

Millwall 2-1Derby (0-0) -1

Now 9 points better off in 15 comparable games

Home +7

Away +2 but with a notable dip recently

Derby 3-1 Middlesbrough (0-1) +3

Charlton 1-1Derby

Burnley 2-0 Derby (0-0) -1

Derby 1-2 Hull (0-2)

Bristol City 0-2 Derby (1-1) +2

So thats now +13 points in 19 comparable games.........

Derby 3-1 Middlesbrough (0-1) +3

Charlton 1-1Derby

Burnley 2-0 Derby (0-0) -1

Derby 1-2 Hull (0-2)

Bristol City 0-2 Derby (1-1) +2

So thats now +13 points in 19 comparable games.........

Yes but we took 15 points off the teams who are now in League One.

The draw against Charlton means we have only taken 5 points off teams who were in League One last year , with only 2 more to play against Wendies and Huddersfield. So looks like we will be well down on that comparison.

Matching last years wins at Blackpool, Watford and Leeds will be tricky also.

Teams who got promoted / relegated from Prem ; maybe neutral . We beat West Ham and drew with Soton and Reading. So far we have drawn 2 and lost 1 of the 3 games, so we need to win one of the remaining 3 against Wolves Bolton or Blackburn or I spose we could draw them all.

So we are still not guaranteed to beat last years total but its looking good.

RamNut - How do we compare in the fixtures against newly promoted and newly relegated teams now?

I think as an overall comparison we're a much better side but I imagine the difference in these fixtures to average out our comparative points total. I'm much more confident that we won't have a horrendous dip in form as we have done in previous seasons.

As others have mentioned our away results have been near to ***** but hopefully they'll pick up...

The draw against Charlton means we have only taken 5 points off teams who were in League One last year , with only 2 more to play against Wendies and Huddersfield. So looks like we will be well down on that comparison.

but thats not a fair comparrison. You cant conpare points agaibst those relegated last season with points so far against those that were promoted.

At the minute we are on 7 points against the bottom 3 with 3 to play.

RamNut - How do we compare in the fixtures against newly promoted and newly relegated teams now?

Newly promoted last season 9 - so far 5 this season with 2 to play

Newly relegated last season 12 (Brum, Blackpool x 2 Wet ham 1 win) so far 2pts this season with 3 to play

relgated to league 1 last season 15 current bottom three 7points with 3 to play

Promoted last season 5 points current top three 1 point

We have been far better in terms of performances than last, still remember the awful 1-0 wins where won with one shot just about held out in August 2011.

There have been on or two disappointments Hull, Pboro, Burnley, Bolton but there are more plusses plusses Watford, Wolves, Cardiff, Mboro, Leeds etc.

Annoying we have drew games which we would have won with better finishing.

Matching last years wins at Blackpool, Watford and Leeds will be tricky also.

Teams who got promoted / relegated from Prem ; maybe neutral . We beat West Ham and drew with Soton and Reading. So far we have drawn 2 and lost 1 of the 3 games, so we need to win one of the remaining 3 against Wolves Bolton or Blackburn or I spose we could draw them all.

So we are still not guaranteed to beat last years total but its looking good.

Actually I was forgetting hull away whih we also won last year.

In fact out of 15 remaining comparable games, we won 8 , 4 at home (Forest, Bristol City, Palace and Millwall ) , lost to Fester and drew with Ipswich and Peterboro. And we won 4 away Hull, Watford, Blackpool and Leeds. Lost to Cardiff, Brighton, Barnsley and drew with Brum.

Gotta say I would settle for those resuts this year (more likely picking up more points against Barnsley peterboro and ipswich and fewer agaisnt the rest) which would give us another 27 points from those 15 games, ie 64 points in total , plus more points to get from the games against Wolves Bolton, Blackburn ,Huddersfield and Wendies.

Straying slightly off topic, but stats related...I've just looked on the League website for my own anoraky purposes, and, total players used at Derby...

2009/10 44 (Most in division)

2010/11 40 (5th most in division)

2011/12 32 (13th most)

2012/13 24 (2nd least so far and unlikely to increase much)

We've stopped having to patch up with loans, we've cleared out the dead-wood and we're a much tighter unit. Just thought I'd share. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

Archived