Leeds Utd fan jailed for assult on Chris Kirkland

Dave ( Red )

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cant believe he got sent to jail for that, obviously he's a complete and utter tw*t, but i dont really like how just cos it's a main stream incident they've sent him to prison. If that happened on a night out, he would get a caution at most, police probably wouldnt even bother making an arrest and just send both parties on their way.

Then again, he is a Leeds fan, and one less of them in society can only be a good thing.

Cant believe he got sent to jail for that, obviously he's a complete and utter tw*t, but i dont really like how just cos it's a main stream incident they've sent him to prison. If that happened on a night out, he would get a caution at most, police probably wouldnt even bother making an arrest and just send both parties on their way.

Then again, he is a Leeds fan, and one less of them in society can only be a good thing.

Well this bloke got 6 months

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20003058

A man who disrupted this year's University Boat Race has been jailed for six months for causing a public nuisance.Trenton Oldfield, 36, of Myrdle Street, east London, swam into the path of crews on 7 April interrupting the 158th race between Oxford and Cambridge.Olympic rower Sir Matthew Pinsent who was on a launch behind the crews said Oldfield could have been killed.Oldfield said he was demonstrating against government cuts.The man, who had moved to the UK from Australia, was also ordered to pay £750 costs.'That is prejudice'Judge Anne Molyneux said Oldfield had acted dangerously, disproportionately, had not shown what he was actually protesting against, and displayed prejudice in sabotaging the event which he regarded as elitist.Continue reading the main story

“Start Quote

Anyone living here today knows Britain is a brutal, deeply divided, class-driven place”Deepa NaikTrenton Oldfield's wifeShe said: "You did nothing to address inequality by giving yourself the right to spoil the enjoyment of others."In doing so, you acted without regard for equality and contrary to the meaning of it."You made your decision to sabotage the race based on the membership or perceived membership of its participants of a group to which you took exception."That is prejudice."But following the sentencing, outside court, his wife, Deepa Naik, 35, defended his actions."Trenton has spent his adult life working on these issues and his direct action protest was a natural extension of his everyday work," she said."Trenton's protest was a reaction to an increasingly brutal business, media and political elite.""Great Britain has convinced many it is the home of democracy and the gauge of civilisation," she added."Anyone living here today knows Britain is a brutal, deeply divided, class-driven place."'Symbolic gesture'During the trial, footage of the race, which was eventually won by Cambridge, was shown.Trenton Oldfield was arrested after being pulled from the water on 7 AprilThe jury heard a statement from four-time Olympic gold medal-winning rower Sir Matthew Pinsent, who was assistant umpire of the race."The risk for the swimmer was great," he said in the statement, read to the court by prosecutor Louis Mably."He could have been killed if he had been struck by an oar or the rigging, which is metal."Pinsent, who was immediately behind the two eight-man university crews on a launch with umpire John Garrett, initially thought he had spotted a balloon.Their launch was followed by 25 motorised boats, carrying officials, police, sponsors and camera crews.Pinsent said they were "alarmed" to realise it was a person and he was "worried about the safety of the swimmer".Oldfield, who admitted swimming in front of the crews, said he decided to demonstrate after hearing about the government's public spending cuts, which he said were "worse than in Dickens's time".On targeting the race, he said: "It's a symbol of a lot of issues in Britain around class. Seventy per cent of government pushing through very significant cuts are Oxford or Cambridge graduates."It was a symbolic gesture to these kind of issues."

Well this bloke got 6 months

[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20003058]http://www.bbc.co.uk...ngland-20003058

A man who disrupted this year's University Boat Race has been jailed for six months for causing a public nuisance.Trenton Oldfield, 36, of Myrdle Street, east London, swam into the path of crews on 7 April interrupting the 158th race between Oxford and Cambridge.Olympic rower Sir Matthew Pinsent who was on a launch behind the crews said Oldfield could have been killed.Oldfield said he was demonstrating against government cuts.The man, who had moved to the UK from Australia, was also ordered to pay £750 costs.'That is prejudice'Judge Anne Molyneux said Oldfield had acted dangerously, disproportionately, had not shown what he was actually protesting against, and displayed prejudice in sabotaging the event which he regarded as elitist.Continue reading the main story

“Start Quote

Anyone living here today knows Britain is a brutal, deeply divided, class-driven place”Deepa NaikTrenton Oldfield's wifeShe said: "You did nothing to address inequality by giving yourself the right to spoil the enjoyment of others."In doing so, you acted without regard for equality and contrary to the meaning of it."You made your decision to sabotage the race based on the membership or perceived membership of its participants of a group to which you took exception."That is prejudice."But following the sentencing, outside court, his wife, Deepa Naik, 35, defended his actions."Trenton has spent his adult life working on these issues and his direct action protest was a natural extension of his everyday work," she said."Trenton's protest was a reaction to an increasingly brutal business, media and political elite.""Great Britain has convinced many it is the home of democracy and the gauge of civilisation," she added."Anyone living here today knows Britain is a brutal, deeply divided, class-driven place."'Symbolic gesture'During the trial, footage of the race, which was eventually won by Cambridge, was shown.Trenton Oldfield was arrested after being pulled from the water on 7 AprilThe jury heard a statement from four-time Olympic gold medal-winning rower Sir Matthew Pinsent, who was assistant umpire of the race."The risk for the swimmer was great," he said in the statement, read to the court by prosecutor Louis Mably."He could have been killed if he had been struck by an oar or the rigging, which is metal."Pinsent, who was immediately behind the two eight-man university crews on a launch with umpire John Garrett, initially thought he had spotted a balloon.Their launch was followed by 25 motorised boats, carrying officials, police, sponsors and camera crews.Pinsent said they were "alarmed" to realise it was a person and he was "worried about the safety of the swimmer".Oldfield, who admitted swimming in front of the crews, said he decided to demonstrate after hearing about the government's public spending cuts, which he said were "worse than in Dickens's time".On targeting the race, he said: "It's a symbol of a lot of issues in Britain around class. Seventy per cent of government pushing through very significant cuts are Oxford or Cambridge graduates."It was a symbolic gesture to these kind of issues."

Exactly, high profile incidents and they'll hand out a longer sentence. Would he have got a 6 months sentence if he done that in some shabby, local boat race? I doubt it.

I think Leeds United officials came out and said they have banned this moron for life from Elland Road and from buying any tickets for their matches home and away from any club source. It is to their credit. However I think more needs to be done by FA or Police regarding their supporters. The nastiness they bring to the game has been there for all to see for too many years now.Many of us of a certain vintage remember them all too well from the 70s and 80s rumbling on from town to town bringing destruction and street fighting to an altogether different level. Of course there are hooligans and yobs at other clubs too. We have had our own share down the years and clubs like the dastardly Millwall and West Ham, Cardiff have certainly been high profile cases but Leeds just seem to want to be " Kings of the hooligans"!!

Banning away fans would impact on the normal fans though Dave. I mean I remember being quite excited about my first trip to Anfield.

I'm pleased I got to Highbury, going to iconic grounds is up there with seeing top bands for me, it's a difficult one, I wonder if something like having to show a club ID card on the way into the ground and it being revoked for an offence thus making the bearer unable to attend any other matches could be a solution.

Just an idea like. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

It's hardly a big problem, was a one off incident basically.

What made me laugh, was before it happened there was no stewards/police anywhere to be seen. After the goal a squad of about 200 marched out to do their job. What were they doing before?

One off incident?? Seriously? Im reading from my far out post about hooliganism in UK rearing its ugly head again on a fairly constant basis especially with Leeds and where we are in Scandinavia firms, violence and just general unacceptable behaviour are at an all time high. To be fair its a club I treat with a rather large ammount of contempt over the years...pre Brian Cloughs 44 day stay too. But Im quite old fashioned in these regards. I dont even really like chants of an obscene nature. Their chant at Christmas to Nigel Clough ( on mass too..not just the odd 1 or 2) " your dad was a cnut and so are you" is just disgraceful. The man is dead..let him rest in peace.

I worry for society I really do.

One off incident?? Seriously? Im reading from my far out post about hooliganism in UK rearing its ugly head again on a fairly constant basis especially with Leeds and where we are in Scandinavia firms, violence and just general unacceptable behaviour are at an all time high. To be fair its a club I treat with a rather large ammount of contempt over the years...pre Brian Cloughs 44 day stay too. But Im quite old fashioned in these regards. I dont even really like chants of an obscene nature. Their chant at Christmas to Nigel Clough ( on mass too..not just the odd 1 or 2) " your dad was a cnut and so are you" is just disgraceful. The man is dead..let him rest in peace.

I worry for society I really do.

Hooliganism in the UK? Really?

Following football in the UK the worst you see is a few drunk idiots causing a nuisance. How often do you see a real fight at football? I think i've seen one incident that could be described as 'hooliganism' in the last few years, that was at Leeds as well.

Take away big derby days between sides and any incidents are so few and far between they're not even worth mentioning.

Hooliganism is finished in England, there is nothing of the sort anymore, as EKR has said, all you see nowadays is drunk idiots making fools of themselves, it is like a Saturday night out in any major city up and down the country, NOTHING to do with football.

The "dark days" will never return don't worry about that, we haven't got the social climate anymore to encourage this, ask anyone who was around at the time, it is completley different going to football now.

The lad who ran on the pitch, was a tool, but not a "hooligan" as people are trying to say, he was just a tool, a complete tool by the way, who I have to say, has a striking resemblence to Robin Van Persie don't you think??

Anyway, that's getting off the subject, Leeds fans are no better or worse than anyone else around now.

The FA, no matter how badly you think of them, have done an amazing job of getting rid of the hooligan element throughout the country, including the national team.

More & more pundit opinion on football with every decision looked at over & over. Is it OTT ?

Evil chants, coins thrown, players attacked, managers in the media trying to get players done for diving or kicking.

PC gone mad in some cases with john Terry & Rio getting more coverage than people fighting for the country.

The game has changed so much because of TV.

Check this site & others very little talk about Football

[url=

Archived