A footballer with morals

Dangerous

It's a bit daft, this argument. Juventus fans seemed intent on not letting this lie after 20 years, so on a day where they attempted to commemorate the victims of the disaster Juventus fans instead insist on keeping the wounds raw. Several times I've read 'revenge' on the description of the aftermath.

But don't let that distort your view of Liverpool. You've already made your views clear, anything to do with Liverpool and you'll point the finger at the whole city. Never Juventus, never any of the other English cities involved in violence. It's like Liverpool are held up as the example of footballing hooliganism, when pretty much all cities were at it.

That was the like the full stop of that period, just so happened to be Liverpool. Could've been any other English club at the time.

Why should they LET IT LIE..!!??? The Liverpool fans, and if you check the FACTS then you will see that 90% of the people arrested were from LIVERPOOL, so, yes the LIVERPOOL fans were solely responsible for the death of these fans. That, I am afraid is a fact.

But, as has been said, it's never their fault.....salt of the earth the scousers, salt of the earth

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Liverpool were a big club involved in many high profile games during the roughest period of English football. All English clubs misbehaved; in fairness, Liverpool more than others. But I get sick to the back teeth of some fans, as a result, leaping on to every single story to do with them and bringing up the past, about the dirty scousers, tarnishing the whole city and an entire clubs fans under the same brush.

When I look at the Heysel disaster, I see more than just football. I don't see 39 dead Juventus fans. I don't see arrested Liverpool fans. I see 39 dead human beings, and bad human beings who were involved.

It gets petty, repititive and tiresome when the club colours are brought into the matter over and over again.

Why should they LET IT LIE..!!??? The Liverpool fans, and if you check the FACTS then you will see that 90% of the people arrested were from LIVERPOOL, so, yes the LIVERPOOL fans were solely responsible for the death of these fans. That, I am afraid is a fact.

But, as has been said, it's never their fault.....salt of the earth the scousers, salt of the earth

Let the violence lie, Juventus seem intent on causing more death to me. I'm not excusing Liverpool's part in the disaster, I'm not excusing anybody involved. But don't let that get in the way of your apparent hatred of all things Liverpool.

No and not all Juventus fans live in Turin.

But no Juventus fans were arrested and convicted of manslaughter, unless I'm missing something?

Some were arrested for other offences - unless I'm missing something

And they were responsible for the deaths how?

Sorry I thought you were debating the fact Liverpool fans were not to blame, I'm sure there were many more arrests for other offences, I can't see what this has to do with the events of that day, below is an extract taken from a fan that was there, so I am failing to see how they weren't to blame ?

My 30-year-old son, Roberto, was killed in Sector Z. He was a doctor and although he could have escaped when the violence began, he wanted to stay and help people. He was filmed on television attempting to resuscitate a young girl. But both of them, along with the girl's father, died. The day of the final was beautiful and sunny. Roberto, my two nephews and I began touring the city. But by midday, the main square was crammed with young Liverpool fans drinking and singing loudly so we decided to explore the side streets. Here, though, we saw Liverpool fans being arrested for stealing jewellery. This is one point I often think about: the Belgian police had warning of trouble. So why were those people allowed to die at Heysel? We arrived at the stadium at six in the evening. There were no police monitoring the English fans as they entered but it took a long time for us as we passed one by one through Sector Z's small door. There was an empty sector next to ours that acted as a buffer to the Liverpool fans. I was relaxing, reading a newspaper, when I saw a single English hooligan. He jumped over a small fence and came charging towards us. Then, many more followed. They had lumps of terrace concrete, Coke bottles, beer bottles, rocks and even knifes. Everyone panicked. There were seven or eight policemen standing on the pitch side of the fencing. We pleaded with them to call for reinforcements. But none came.

I thought we would die. Everyone moved away from the charging Liverpool fans and, in the crush, the wall collapsed. This was actually lucky because otherwise thousands may have been killed. I can still see the face of one hooligan who was about to strike me with an iron rod. I was fortunate, though, because he began hitting someone else. I turned to my son but he and my nephews had disappeared, and now I thought to save myself. I escaped through a small door at the top of the terracing and eventually found myself on the field where people lay on the ground dead. There were still no police around. Many people were trapped and dying and there is one man I cannot forget – his face was covered in blood and over these past 20 years I have dreamt about him many times. I waved Roberto's black-and-white Juventus scarf so that he could see it and then I decided to return to look for my son among the corpses in Sector Z. It was then I met my nephew. He said: 'Come quickly, Roberto is not so good.' I put my ear to my son's ears and listened. I deluded myself that I could hear his pulse. But no, he was dead. The TV cameras had been filming me and later, I watched myself find my son.

Well they were, solely to blame.

Whatever you may or may not think of the club, the fans were totally to blame for the murder of 39 human beings, and have NEVER been held accountable for it.

Anyone ho was going to football back in the day, will testify that Liverpool were a horrible club to go to. I worked at the baseball ground as a turnstile operator in the visitors section and the worst abuse, thieving, sneaking in, language etc et was from liverpool fans.

Archived