Comment made by the editor of the manchester evening news

North_Stand_Ram

Barnes was a great player. Had ability to go past a defender, jink into the box and could score. He was quick, skilful and strong. Hughes is a completely different type of player. Arguably a better team player than Barnes, his gifts are different, he has a natural awareness, quick feet, instant control and an instinct to drift into the right place.

Hughes' talent is to bring others into the game enabling the team to keep possession.

Barnes was crippled by horrendous injuries, he was a flash git but may well have grown out of that if his career hadn't been cut short.

Hughes, while less explosive than Barnes, may prove to be a better team player.

If circumstances allowed I'd like to have seen the pair of them bossing games at Pride Park for us.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always remember Barnes goal Vs Sunderland when we went up, class controll, turn and finish, anyone that thinks he wasn't quality is a screw loose!

Hughes will never be any good, so Fergie when you read this for your scouting, he's absoulte Cack and not worth the risk!

try Barnse though, diamond in the rough!

Hughes is an excellent little player but I think it's hard to fit him into this derby team. He's not effective of the wing, and when he is is the middle, the balance of the team is wrong.

He was too deep to effect the game yesterday.

His most effective place would be behind two strikers but Clough won't do that.

Agreed he was too deep yesterday, but he also seemed to take a knock really early one which could've explained why he was a bit quiet (and also perhaps why he was subbed at HT).

Saw him out wide for the first half against Huddersfield and he was completely anonymous. Seemed much happier when he was brought more central and could see more of the ball.

If he can stop it all from going to his head (as seems to have happened to Bennett), he could turn into a very decent player indeed.

I don't get why people make out Barnes was a crap player. Yeah he got big headed, but he was a great young player and if he hadn't suffered some pretty bad injuries he could have been a great player. He was pretty much our best player when we got promoted. Don't get why because his careers gone down hill, people just make out he was rubbish for us.

Whilst never thinking he was cr/\p I couldn't see the hype about him either. He has a lot of skill, a lot of pace and could get you a few goals but his general team play and decision making was terrible. I lost count of the number of times he'd try and take on two players and run into a blind alley when a simple 10 yard square ball was on. Give me Hughes any day.

Archived