Keogh vs Shackell

King Kevin

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<Bananas>

And here you have it! People prepared to go against their own mind in order to disagree with someone they don't like! Pitiful

Don't be coming back with answers like that Mostyn. It's massively disrespectful.

In fact it's garbage.

Shackell looked lost with the ball at his feet, every now and then he'd ping one 60 yards but more often than not he was poor.

I don't want to get into the stupid personal games you might want to play. It's my opinion, it would be the same if it was you or the holy pope who'd written that post. It's testicles and someone needs to tell you its testicles.

Don't be coming back with answers like that Mostyn. It's massively disrespectful.

In fact it's garbage.

Shackell looked lost with the ball at his feet, every now and then he'd ping one 60 yards but more often than not he was poor.

I don't want to get into the stupid personal games you might want to play. It's my opinion, it would be the same if it was you or the holy pope who'd written that post. It's testicles and someone needs to tell you its testicles.

I agree with him tactically and technically Shackell is far superior, I can understand his point if you make out otherwise.

There has been questions on Shackell's attitude at Derby and elsewhere, in fact you can safely guess, without knowing him he is not the nicest of blokes but to say he hasn't been missed on the park, or to say Keogh has come close to the standard Shackell produced at Derby is not a true or fair view.

I agree with him tactically and technically Shackell is far superior, I can understand his point if you make out otherwise.

There has been questions on Shackell's attitude at Derby and elsewhere, in fact you can safely guess, without knowing him he is not the nicest of blokes but to say he hasn't been missed on the park, or to say Keogh has come close to the standard Shackell produced at Derby is not a true or fair view.

Henry, I liked Shackell and didn't want him sold. I thought he was one of the reasons why we were able to close out games better last year. I thought as well that for such a big lad not once did he take somebodies head off, in either box.

I think we missed him.

Keogh is just a better player. He is comfortable taking the ball of Legz or off Frankie (if frankie ever threw it out!!) he's comfortable "surging" through the midfield and he's comfortabel getting it back from them.

Shackell for all his qualities is NOT a ball playing centre half.

Both have there qualities. I'd say shackell has played in a better defence and a more experienced side compared to Keogh. But I still think Keogh is the better player. Shackell was aerially better but I think Keogh is better on the floor and with the ball at his feet.

Its a close call but I'd say Keogh.

In fact it's garbage.

Your as entitled to your opinion as the next bloke, but Shackell never got caught under the ball and I don't think ever gave a panicky performance. For all Keogh's character, he's more 'last ditch' than 'composed'. He's more Martin Keown than Franco Baresi (although both are a compliment). I fear for us when I see the ball bouncing around in our area as there seem to be legs flying around everywhere in a panic, and all of them seem to be Keogh's!!

I had this debate with mates months ago, and I wish I could be that bothered so as to show you just how often Keogh hoofs it and how it seems that Buxton is the composed defender out of the two of them.

Henry, I liked Shackell and didn't want him sold. I thought he was one of the reasons why we were able to close out games better last year. I thought as well that for such a big lad not once did he take somebodies head off, in either box.

I think we missed him.

Keogh is just a better player. He is comfortable taking the ball of Legz or off Frankie (if frankie ever threw it out!!) he's comfortable "surging" through the midfield and he's comfortabel getting it back from them.

Shackell for all his qualities is NOT a ball playing centre half.

He's comfortable taking it if he has no pressure on him, if somebody does he will use his pace or launch it. He looks ungainly on the ball and uncomfortable striking it, similar to Barker in that regard.

Ball playing centre-halfs are rarely welcome in England and certainly by Nigel Clough but Shackell was rarely hurried, rarely out of position, made few mistakes and he got others in position too.

Keogh has pace, rarely misses a long straight ball and has done well to progress his career as much as he has but he has some glaring holes in his game. Possibly with a Shackell or Barker alongside, getting him in better  positions he could become a better defender but overall I was hoping and expecting him to have been better than he has.

Your as entitled to your opinion as the next bloke, but Shackell never got caught under the ball and I don't think ever gave a panicky performance. For all Keogh's character, he's more 'last ditch' than 'composed'. He's more Martin Keown than Franco Baresi (although both are a compliment). I fear for us when I see the ball bouncing around in our area as there seem to be legs flying around everywhere in a panic, and all of them seem to be Keogh's!!

I had this debate with mates months ago, and I wish I could be that bothered so as to show you just how often Keogh hoofs it and how it seems that Buxton is the composed defender out of the two of them.

No need for you to show me anything at all Mostyn. I dare say I watch the games more than most. Usually at least twice whether I make it to the game or not. No point bringing Buxton into it, this is just a head to head, shackell vs keogh with the ball at their feet.

When you make such a basic observation as the one you just made, about  Shackell being better with the ball at his feet than keogh, it's at that point there is no point.

You're about as far off the mark as a Geoff Thomas chip.

No need for you to show me anything at all Mostyn. I dare say I watch the games more than most. Usually at least twice whether I make it to the game or not. No point bringing Buxton into it, this is just a head to head, shackell vs keogh with the ball at their feet.

When you make such a basic observation as the one you just made, about  Shackell being better with the ball at his feet than keogh, it's at that point there is no point.

You're about as far off the mark as a Geoff Thomas chip.

oh my god, you're actually serious? I've seen Keogh kick the ball back to Ledgzins and it go ten feet wide and out for a corner, maybe three times this season!!! hahahahaha.

oh my god, you're actually serious? I've seen Keogh kick the ball back to Ledgzins and it go ten feet wide and out for a corner, maybe three times this season!!! hahahahaha.

I think you're exaggerating or making that up. Unless you can tell me the games where it happened I'll just chalk that one down to youthful over exuberance.

If you think Shackell is better with the ball at his feet then there's no hope. Therefore no point.

what've league positions to do with anything?

Most of you were using the fact that Jordan Rhodes cost £8m when we rolled over to Blackburn in the FA Cup, yet I'm pretty sure they've been below us.

Last season, Coventry were below us, and they had Richard Keogh!??!?! Go figure...

They defend in different ways, Shackell was probably a better defender but is often remembered for the last ditch tackles he would make but often the only reason players got into those positions was because of his own mistake. Keogh stands off more but is a far better leader than Shackell ever once.

Did Coventry have prolific goalscorer Charlie Austin like Burnley do. I don't think they had a man up front like him when Keogh was with um.

i do believe that everyone said the main reason Coventry was even though there defence was fine they just couldn't score.

Did Coventry have prolific goalscorer Charlie Austin like Burnley do. I don't think they had a man up front like him when Keogh was with um.

I thought a football team had 11 players. We seemed to look more solid and organized with shackell and had more clean sheets to back that up. I don't think the excuse of we played more negative last season really holds as the other way we have had a lot more possession this season and been in the other teams half so shouldn't give up as many chances.

<Bananas>

And here you have it! People prepared to go against their own mind in order to disagree with someone they don't like! Pitiful

Please tell me you are just winding people up? Why on earth would I not like you? I don't know you or you me. Why, apart from in your own mind, would your personality have anything whatsoever to do with my opinion?

As early as the pre-season friendly at Exeter Shackell was pinging Hollywood passes out to the wings that were consistently poor. He never stopped trying them and he never improved them. He has some good qualities but passing and generally the ball at his feet are not his finest atributes.

Archived