Ra

Duracell

Leaky defence - I've had to read some tripe since yesterday, but that's without a shadow the most ridiculous one.

We've got one of the best defensive records in the league, for the love of ****.

So what was yesterday? If it isn't leaky it is certainly inconsistent.

It goes from pure brilliance to conceding goals from basic errors in less than 10 days.

Ipswich was a game which showed our defence at its best, yesterday just made that excellent win count for nothing. And it was because of basic errors. That has happened far too much this season.

Cost us 2 point at Norwich, a draw with Forest etc.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what was yesterday? If it isn't leaky it is certainly inconsistent.

It goes from pure brilliance to conceding goals from basic errors in less than 10 days.

Ipswich was a game which showed our defence at its best, yesterday just made that excellent win count for nothing. And it was because of basic errors. That has happened far too much this season.

Cost us 2 point at Norwich, a draw with Forest etc.

What you're describing, no team, no player... no one has or can make.

You're asking for an immaculate, perfect defence. You could point to a lot of games where our defence has helped us win points. 

Most clean sheets in the league, therefore when we concede it makes us inconsistent? I don't get that logic. 

What you're describing, no team, no player... no one has or can make.

You're asking for an immaculate, perfect defence. You could point to a lot of games where our defence has helped us win points. 

Most clean sheets in the league, therefore when we concede it makes us inconsistent? I don't get that logic.

I don't ask for a perfect defence I ask for one that doesn't concede repeatedly from giving the ball away, failing to clear the line, being asleep. BASIC ERRORS,

I don't ask for a perfect defence I ask for one that doesn't concede repeatedly from giving the ball away, failing to clear the line, being asleep. BASIC ERRORS,

Welcome to the Championship, where there are 20 even worse defences worse than ours, and only two better ones in the top 6.

Welcome to the Championship, where there are 20 even worse defences worse than ours, and only two better ones in the top 6.

Yes but we can't defend when it counts. We do sometimes, as with Ipswich, but not in games like Forest, Norwich etc. Play off final.

You could point to every single defender, team and say the same. 

You are asking for the perfect defence. One that doesn't make mistakes. 

You could point to every single defender, team and say the same. 

You are asking for the perfect defence. One that doesn't make mistakes.

I'm asking for a defence like last season, We were excellent, consistent, unplayable last season.

Yes but we can't defend when it counts. We do sometimes, as with Ipswich, but not in games like Forest, Norwich etc. Play off final.

It counts all the time, every game. For every Forest and Norwich there are a lot more games where good defending has helped win us the game. The odd aberration. Most of the time, we do just fine.

We've done the play off final to death.

The teams you've cited there are 2nd, 7th and 12th. All of those games offered the same amount of points. I don't really see what's significant about the Norwich game? What hinged on that more than other home games?

If you want me to say the defence sometimes make mistakes which cost us goals, then I agree with you. That doesn't say much - every team does that at this level.

I'm asking for a defence like last season, We were excellent, consistent, unplayable last season.

Our defence this season is a lot better. We've conceded nine less goals in comparison to this time last season.

Plus, it was about this time last season when Leicester put four past us. That hasn't and won't happen this season, largely because we are better. 

We've done the play off final to death.

The teams you've cited there are 2nd, 7th and 12th. All of those games offered the same amount of points. I don't really see what's significant about the Norwich game? What hinged on that more than other home games?

If you want me to say the defence sometimes make mistakes which cost us goals, then I agree with you. That doesn't say much - every team does that at this level.

Norwich annoyed me because of the fact we had taken the lead twice. All we had to do is hold on for two minutes and a basic error cost us 2 points.

Forest, had only won twice in 22. Irrespective of them being our rivals, you have to beat a team in that sort of form.

Our defence this season is a lot better. We've conceded nine less goals in comparison to this time last season.

Then it will be even better with the two excellent reinforcements Derby have brought in. I want to have faith, and often do with this defence, but we are capable of making things very difficult for ourselves at times.

Luckily Albentosa looks like a it, and Warnock is a decent proposition so I'm not as worried as I was. But yesterday did prove why we signed them in the first place.

Then it will be even better with the two excellent reinforcements Derby have brought in. I want to have faith, and often do with this defence, but we are capable of making things very difficult for ourselves at times.

Luckily Albentosa looks like a it, and Warnock is a decent proposition so I'm not as worried as I was. But yesterday did prove why we signed them in the first place.

Did it? From what I remember, our defence had a lot to do and both Keogh and Buxton made a lot of clearances and won their battles. Forsyth completely marked Antonio out of the game and was comfortably our MOTM. The only one that worried me was Christie, but even so.

My gripe was with how poor Martin, Hendrick and Bryson were at getting on the ball and keeping it. 

Buxton - 7 clearances, 3 interceptions.

Forsyth - 9 clearances, 3 interceptions

Keogh - 9 clearances, 1 interception.

Mascarell - 9 clearances, 3 tackles, 1 interception.

That was four of the top 20 defensive performances of the day. In fact, Omar Mascarell won 9 aerial battles - the third most in the Championship on the day. 

It's easy to want to place blame, but why did our entire defence 5 get asked so many questions? Why did four out of the five have to put in so many clearances, battles...etc 

They were up there with the best in the division, statistically, on the day. That's because they had so much to contend with. 

You stop moaning about the defence and 'soft' goals conceded when they put more in the onion bag than the other lot. Would you be complaining about the defence last season if we'd won 5-2? EVERY team concedes goals. Even Chelsea, Man City.

There are a lot of positives to look forward to; Raul, Warnock, George's return.

Onward.

Norwich annoyed me because of the fact we had taken the lead twice. All we had to do is hold on for two minutes and a basic error cost us 2 points.

Forest, had only won twice in 22. Irrespective of them being our rivals, you have to beat a team in that sort of form.

Sorry, there's no such thing as a dead cert in football, which is why you never see a poor bookie. All good runs come to an end, and so do all bad ones.

You could take a far better team than Derby and put them up against a far worse team than Forest, and they still would be hard pressed to win every time.

Archived