Charlton Athletic v Derby County

sage

Just got back.

Great away day, I love the Valley. Found a decent pub underneath the Shard for the pre-match pints. Beats the Toby Carvery in Chad for location.

The performance wasn't helped by one of the worst pitches I've seen for a while. It was repulsively bobbly.

On a decent pitch, the performance would have been a bit flat like Boro but it made us look worse than we were. It felt like a game waiting for us to get going, and we never did really - but we didn't need to. We were in control from start to finish and they only came close to scoring once.

After our second goal, all 11 Charlton players went to pot. And for some reason, Craig Forsyth decided to join them. No idea what he was up to in those last few minutes!

Triffick result.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, that was a pretty horrendous game, both sides were poor on the ball and lacked creativity.

Hard to say we deserved to win, but they were just woeful so the fact we created two clear cut chances (scored one) probably means we were better. The free kick was lucky, but things are going our way at present. 

We missed Hughes badly, Buxton and Keogh were f*cking awful on the ball, terrible distribution first half, but on the flip side, there was nobody from midfield really wanting the ball and taking it off them. 

Couldnt really say anyone played brilliantly for us, defensively the back 4 were solid, and Wisdom was quality overall. Entire midfield was pretty average, worked hard and pressed well. Dawkins done well, best of an average bunch today. 

Was more of a Billy Davies/Nigel Clough away performance today, work hard, restrict the oppo and take your chances. 

Grant 7 - Solid and a couple of good saves

Forsyth 7 - Solid, alert and a couple of vital tackles

Buxton - 6 - quiet, dependable, but didn't really notice him

Keogh 7 - Authoritative and made a crucial tackle in the penalty box early in first half

Wisdom 8 - Very strong in my view. Won his headers, imposed himself on opposition.

Bryson 8 - Never stopped running and took his goal well. Pressure led to him winning ball back a few times against odds (to be honest from behind the goal you can't see midfield play that well at times and I can't work out which of the midfielders were most guilty of giving ball away)

Hendrick 6 - OK. Think he was guilty of a few loose balls

Eustace - ditto

Ward - 6 - couple of good runs into box and scored (bit lucky) and hit bar (would have been a cracking team goal) but lacking his pre-injury spark

Dawkins 7 - kept possession well, looked lively, positive (deserved the chant of "Sign him up!" when subbed

Martin 8 - Martin does what Martin does. Won a lot of free kicks without ever looking like scoring today. Good defending at set pieces

Russell, Keane and Sammon weren't really on that long. Russell looked lively 

Surprised people are giving Dawkins better than average ratings; I felt he was ok but no better than Ward. Think his role is to create in the last third and we weren't very creative. Ward definitely seemed off and should have scored the chance when he hit the bar. 

Felt the changes eventually made should have been done earlier because if Charlton had a decent striker they would have scored. Agree with whoever said Forsyth played well and then randomly started hoofing it straight into touch at 2-0 lol

Sammon did a great job when he came on, reducing the pressure on our back four and creating a chance in which we scored. He still lacks a bit of sharpness when it comes to his own chances though!

Dawkins was better than Ward just cos he kept possession better. Start of the second half he made a couple of good runs as well.

Havent been impressed with Ward last two games, has done nothing. I know the free kick went in but would have preferred to see Bryson on it, how many has Ward scored in his time here? Remember one at Barnsley but even that was some smash along the ground. 

Sounds like we have the right mix to me we play poor and get the result thats the sign of a descent side!

feel for Chris P always liked him as a player , always come across as nice chap, so hope they sort it out for him.

gutted i couldn't go today i want to go to Barnsley but the wife says i aint allowed.....( Bitch ) dont tell her i said that :ph34r:

Just got back.

Great away day, I love the Valley. Found a decent pub underneath the Shard for the pre-match pints. Beats the Toby Carvery in Chad for location.

The performance wasn't helped by one of the worst pitches I've seen for a while. It was repulsively bobbly.

On a decent pitch, the performance would have been a bit flat like Boro but it made us look worse than we were. It felt like a game waiting for us to get going, and we never did really - but we didn't need to. We were in control from start to finish and they only came close to scoring once.

After our second goal, all 11 Charlton players went to pot. And for some reason, Craig Forsyth decided to join them. No idea what he was up to in those last few minutes!

Triffick result.

Did say on radio coverage they hadn't watered or weren't watering the pitch at half time, maybe teams are trying different tactics to stop us playing our brand of flowing football

Did say on radio coverage they hadn't watered or weren't watering the pitch at half time, maybe teams are trying different tactics to stop us playing our brand of flowing football

Cloughie senior used to water the BBG pitch , till it was a quagmire..

Just got back.

Triffick result.

Repulsively bobbly???

That's the strongest pitch condition phrase I've ever heard. Please can you give a pitch report in each of your future match summaries? 'Sexily smooth and heartbreakingly green' are just a couple that could be used.

Cloughie senior used to water the BBG pitch , till it was a quagmire..

It's common knowledge that pitches are treated to best serve your own teams style of play OR to disrupt your oppositions style......pretty sure depending on the opposition you tailor for your own teams........ Maybe charlton never water there pitch I don't know, all I've quoted is what rammage said on radio that most teams water their pitches at half time....charlton didn't

Repulsively bobbly???

That's the strongest pitch condition phrase I've ever heard. Please can you give a pitch report in each of your future match summaries? 'Sexily smooth and heartbreakingly green' are just a couple that could be used.

That's good, I like it. Though I'd personally describe Pride Park's pitch as 'horrendously green'.

Anyway, my evaluation:

Pitch was awful. Bobbling all over the place and denying us from playing our stuff. We really never got going all game to be honest, and although they didn't create much, on the basis of play a draw wouldn't have been unfair.

We were weak down the middle and eustace wasn't really on it today. We also lacked Hughes's creativity in the middle and only really created 3 clear cut chances in the 90.

Grant, 7 - Wasn't tested massively but made a brilliant save at 1-0 and has good distribution, especially his kicks to Martin. Nothing wrong but nothing spectacular, not his fault of course, but becoming solider by the week. Well done Steele and Grant

Wisdom, 8 -Solid as always, I really do wonder weak on weak what he's doing at this level. He just walks past players and I can't remember him getting well a truly done by a winger

Keogh, 8 - One of his best games of the season today. Dominant in the air, especially defending set prices.

Buxton, 6 - On the other hand, one of Buxo's worse. First 20 he looked like a league 2 player and totally put his depth. Improved second half and did recover. Time for Keane?

Forsyth, 7 - Solid defensively, but does sometimes annoy me when he doesn't run at the fullbacks when attacking, even though he lacks pace.

Eustace, 6 - Was also poor today and never really got into the game, although I do believe the pitch didn't help his game. We were weak in the centre of the field and that's where they got the majority of their joy.

Hendrick, 8. Looked very good today, glad to have him back. Got tired in the second half and looked absolutely shagged in the last 20. I would have subbed him off for Cisse for the good of the team but the coaching staff obviously want to get him 100%. Well played Jeff.

Bryson, 7. Worst player on the pitch first half, but vastly improved second half and took his goal very well, brilliant link up play and a great chip. 9 goals and 8 assists in under half a season from CM? Must keep him.

Dawkins, 6 - Poor today if I'm honest. As most of the team did he improved second half but he wasn't really at it. Never seemed to have the ball under control. Still, would very much like to sign him

Ward, 6 - Same as Dawkins really. Set pieces were poor and scored a very lucky goal.

Martin, 9 MOTM - Quality again from Chrissy. He'd annoy the **** out of me if he didn't play for us, but he does :p. His ability to tactically win fouls (dive) is pivotal to the team, as is his hold up play. Great signing on a free, keep it up Chrissy.

Subs

Russell, 7 - Bright, would start him next game

Sammon, 8 - Did brilliantly for the goal and ran his tits off. Loved the effort so he deserves an 8.

Management, 9 - Different team second half, although not at our best, still much improved.

Won playing poorly, which we didn't do under Clough. EieieiO!!!

Archived