Positives from today.

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now it's down to Clough, he's failed to learn over many things in his entire time here which is why i dont rate him as a manager. If he doesnt realise after yesterday that keeping possession as much as possible for the entire 90 minutes dominates games he's a f*cking idiot.

Clough has always realised that possession/retention are key elements of a successful side. He was on the end of axactly the same criticisms at Burton early doors until he steadily developed and nutured a side to play retention football. Players were brought in, and if they did'nt do as they were told and play to his orders, irrespective of the cost or reputation, they were immediatley moved on.

It's that same here, supporters ridicule the 5 year plan, but that is exactly what it is. It's progession, and the likes of Bailey, Geen and Pearson who served a purpose over the short term, were never good enough to take that final step, or indeed have the ability.

There is more to do but we are certainly getting there. Clough is quiet clear on the route and always has been.

Pearson.

Clough has always realised that possession/retention are key elements of a successful side. He was on the end of axactly the same criticisms at Burton early doors until he steadily developed and nutured a side to play retention football. Players were brought in, and if they did'nt do as they were told and play to his orders, irrespective of the cost or reputation, they were immediatley moved on.

It's that same here, supporters ridicule the 5 year plan, but that is exactly what it is. It's progession, and the likes of Bailey, Geen and Pearson who served a purpose over the short term, were never good enough to take that final step, or indeed have the ability.

There is more to do but we are certainly getting there. Clough is quiet clear on the route and always has been.

Pearson.

Well he quite cleary hasnt always been on that route, otherwise we wouldnt have seen some of the drab football that's been on show in the last few years.

The signs were there Saturday and if anything that performance has added more pressure to Clough, cos it showed that we're fully capable. If we start playing negative football away from home like we have in the past then people wont be happy.

The second half against Bolton showed that Clough is still to happy to accept draws and not push on to try and win games.

Well he quite cleary hasnt always been on that route, otherwise we wouldnt have seen some of the drab football that's been on show in the last few years.

The signs were there Saturday and if anything that performance has added more pressure to Clough, cos it showed that we're fully capable. If we start playing negative football away from home like we have in the past then people wont be happy.

The second half against Bolton showed that Clough is still to happy to accept draws and not push on to try and win games.

Does the saying "Silk purse from a Sow's Ear" mean anything to you?

As I attempted to point out earlier, in the early days at both Burton and Derby the retention game was not possible due to the inadequacies of the players at Clough's disposal. This has now changed due to the development of our youngsters coupled with some astute purchases.

Negative football? Or tactical football? Each and every game is different with a specific game plan. To belive otherwise is naive. I seem to remember Chelsea winning a European Cup playing your so-called negative football. Or were they tactically clever?

Shall we close on agreeing that we are making progress?

Barca breached Chelsea's defence more times than I could count. Sanchez and Fabregas missed 3 one v one between them and Messi missed a one v one and a penalty.

Chelsea were lucky. Barca had over 30 shots on goal didn't they? All within 20 yards? And scored twice. That game could be played a hundred times and Barcelona would win.

That why I hate negative football. It can get results. But when your required to go out and play it's a very foreign tactic.

With football it might be a fools errand for a while. You might find teams deal with your slow development (due to skill it requires) quite easy for a while. It happened to us in the 4231 system. But keep going, learn your weaknesses and eventually you can only be masters of your own downfall (like Barcelona missing chances they bury every other week)

I understand your point though Pearson. Seeing as I saw Clough mention David Silva as his dream signing I can well believe it's all a means to an end.

I just want to see the becomings of it sooner rather than later. The more negative tactic has proven to keep us alive and kicking. But it's always going to get stuck at a certain point.

Like some managers like Pulis and Allardyce are limited. So is some football imo. Id like this season to be about Nigels team playing Nigel's football then.

I believe Clough has always wanted to play possession football - the evidence lies in him bringing players like Cwyka, Bueno and Maguire to the club.

Didn't work out for many various reasons but is he getting close to the team he needs to accomodate that style now?

I hope so.

I really thought he was onto something with that 4231 and Commons, Bueno, Green, Cywka, Kuqi. We were all really excited by that and he gave it up. I know the results slipped but we didn't do much better in survival mode.

Anyhow, that's all in the past. He's recruited ball playing midfielders. I hope Sammon is our Kuqi. A man to play off. We also have some genuine pace and energy and goals from Theo (more useful than Luke Isaac Hunt Moore)

If Clough really wanted to play hoofball he would have gone for 8 foot robots like Pulis does. If anything, some of Clough's signings have been a bit lightweight.

They have tbf.

I understand too that unlike the PL, this division isnt always football friendly. That to me is the reason why Swansea struggled to get up despite being the best footballing side outside the PL for about 4 years! You need to have more of a mix down here don't you think? It's faster. More aggressive and not full of little luxuries. But I know once your up, a passing side like Swansea can do real damage, while Championship sides like QPR who were a good jack of all trades can't adapt and were lucky to stay up.

I'd like us to be like Blackpool. Eventually a footballing team that can mix it up. But I'd imagine that a club like Derby can do things Blackpool can't when in the same position.

They have tbf.

I understand too that unlike the PL, this division isnt always football friendly. That to me is the reason why Swansea struggled to get up despite being the best footballing side outside the PL for about 4 years! You need to have more of a mix down here don't you think? It's faster. More aggressive and not full of little luxuries. But I know once your up, a passing side like Swansea can do real damage, while Championship sides like QPR who were a good jack of all trades can't adapt and were lucky to stay up.

I'd like us to be like Blackpool. Eventually a footballing team that can mix it up. But I'd imagine that a club like Derby can do things Blackpool can't when in the same position.

Personally, I think Swansea's failure to get out of the league shows the relative quality in the league. This league is surely in the best 10 in the world, and I reckon there's at least half a dozen teams that could stay up in the Prem, given the chance. The first time they went up, Blackpool very nearly stayed there without looking particularly brilliant until the final few games in their promotion season.

The most important thing in this league is having a game and playing that game as often as you can. When Swansea did actually get their passing game going properly, you couldn't beat them. They often struggled to score as they didn't have the best strikers in their promotion season, but you wouldnt get a sniff of a shot yourself.

Even the negative hoofball teams will beat you on their day, and if their day happens often enough, they can even win the league. Belief and organisation goes a long way here....

In the Championship, there is 1 team doing it right, and 23 other teams doing it wrong. As for a certain style that can get you out of here, that doesn't really exist in my opinion, and part of the reason why I love his league is there is 24 different interpretations of the game.

Our game is possession football. Or, at least, I hope it is. We only have two points because we haven't been on it for all 270 of our minutes so far.

Archived