Rams v Newport County (1980s)

roger_smith

[size=4]Hi guys, Newport County fan here in peace.

I am a keen match ticket collector for Newport & am after a ticket from either of our games at the Baseball Ground during the 1984/5 & 1985/6 seasons.

If anybody has one they’d be kind enough to sell me, or indeed any Derby ticket involving the old Newport County, I’d love to hear from you.

Kindest regards (& best of luck for the new season).[/size]

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't help with the tickets I'm afraid but I have memories of two trips to Somerton Park, one match abandoned, I believe it was new years day and I think we heard of the Bradford fire on the way back from another trip down to south Wales.

Hey. I believe i have a ticket at my mothers for the home game in about 83 ish, i will dig it out next time i am home, pm me and i will let you have it.

I also remember going to the away game, the abandoned one.

Anyway, i will send you te home ticket no worries.

Cheers

Hey. I believe i have a ticket at my mothers for the home game in about 83 ish, i will dig it out next time i am home, pm me and i will let you have it.

Cheers

It's nice to have a happy ending to one of these threads for once!

Cheers

That would be terrific MuespachRam and much appreciated - I will send you a pm.

I remember the abandoned game on NYD very well.

The other guys are quite correct about the last game of the '84/5 season when Derby won 3-1 at Somerton - it was indeed the same day as that awful fire at Bradford.

You gave us a bit of a pasting that afternoon, Trevor Christie in particular was almost unplayable.

We'd led 3-0 in the game at the Baseball Ground that year, after a hat-trick from Nevillie Chamberlain (bruv of Mark, not the ex PM), then John Robertson started to turn it on & we couldn't cope - finished 3-3 - great game though & a real buzz seeing Newport play at the BBG.

Roger, if Newport is in Gwent, how come they were called Newport COUNTY ?

It's always puzzled me about Stockport County, which is in Cheshire, I had always thought there had to be a shire before you could be called County.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-YPO-X8XrMLY/ThXb-y70nZI/AAAAAAAAAGE/cwXDZSX21Ls/s1600/confused-thinking-smiley

The whole Gwent thing didn't come along until 1974 - until then the county was known as Monmouthshire, which is again the case now (since the mid 90s).

When Newport County were formed in 1912, the actual name of the club was 'Newport & Monmouthshire County AFC' - which of course was immediately shortened to 'Newport County.'

No idea where Stockport get their 'County' name from though.

The whole Gwent thing didn't come along until 1974 - until then the county was known as Monmouthshire, which is again the case now (since the mid 90s).

When Newport County were formed in 1912, the actual name of the club was 'Newport & Monmouthshire County AFC' - which of course was immediately shortened to 'Newport County.'

No idea where Stockport get their 'County' name from though.

Aye, that bit I highlighted would be a bit of a mouthful for a team chant, cheers for getting back & good wishes for the coming season. http://knifewallpapers.com/smilies/thumbs_up_smiley

That would be terrific MuespachRam and much appreciated - I will send you a pm.

I remember the abandoned game on NYD very well.

The other guys are quite correct about the last game of the '84/5 season when Derby won 3-1 at Somerton - it was indeed the same day as that awful fire at Bradford.

You gave us a bit of a pasting that afternoon, Trevor Christie in particular was almost unplayable.

We'd led 3-0 in the game at the Baseball Ground that year, after a hat-trick from Nevillie Chamberlain (bruv of Mark, not the ex PM), then John Robertson started to turn it on & we couldn't cope - finished 3-3 - great game though & a real buzz seeing Newport play at the BBG.

I remember being at that game - just before Christmas if memory serves. Bloody cold and damp. Unfortunately, I remember where the program went. Me and mates burnt ours on the pop-side to keep warm when we went 0-3. Twas a great comeback tho' think from memory Andy Garner scored equaliser.

I remember the 85/86 home game v Newport for a couple of things. Firstly, it was yet another frustrating 1-1 home draw as we made hard work of the promotion run-in, and secondly for ex Derby hero, Leighton James, coming over to give the popside his best middle finger gesture. And as for a match ticket? No, that was the good old days of just turning up to hand over 3 quid at the turnstile.

Archived