The centre forward problem

sage

Yh a few but cant be bothered to type war and peace about Bailey, Tyson, Robinson and Green.lol

bennett and hughes both look pretty tidy players to me - are you saying we've got others who are better? who?

(saw galinski in the man u semi - very impressed...)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe DW as head man knows more about their ability than DB. For whatever reason you do seem to come over as having a bit of an agenda here.

Not intentional. I just don't like it when players get overlooked when it's not based on ability. I want us to field our best available players.

Not intentional. I just don't like it when players get overlooked when it's not based on ability. I want us to field our best available players.

The point I was making is that it probably is based on ability.

200 odd people on this forum wouldn't agree who the best players are, It will always be about one man's opinion.

I heard from a someone inside the club and he may well be just throwing random guesses around too, but what he said it's definitely a lot smaller than most people would say. Infact first time I was told I simply laughed it off, since then there has been plenty of evidence, nothing overally substantial just murmurs to support what I was told. I would guess a lot of our players will make a killing from bonuses rather than basic wages, as generally with the american way.

Anyway back to the topic about the centre forward problem, as we have seen time and time again picking a centre forward is a dark art, as especially at this level you see players come in and out of form, which is most of the time why they're at this level and not higher. I think very poor managers will go straight for the high scoring strikers and we know a lot of the time this doesn't always tell the story, as if you play in a team creating a lot of chances and you take set pieces you will score goals, whereas in another team who isn't as creative and you don't get the ball as much then you won't but you look at the conversion rate of the two strikers in similar areas with similar chances and you can build up a picture, isolate the player from the surroundings to get an idea of their ability.

I don't know where we should look, we're definitely not in the market for a 'proven' player or anyone who will command a large fee, but I believe we will be looking at this sensibly. What striker with the sort of service that Benj, Jacobs and Ward can give will flourish, sometimes it can be absolutely the opposite to what their record suggest. We saw Theo and Ward play well together on that side of the pitch, as we saw a good partnership in Bavies and Savies. It's not all about the individuals, but more of the chemistry of how they play.

I heard from a someone inside the club and he may well be just throwing random guesses around too, but what he said it's definitely a lot smaller than most people would say. Infact first time I was told I simply laughed it off, since then there has been plenty of evidence, nothing overally substantial just murmurs to support what I was told. I would guess a lot of our players will make a killing from bonuses rather than basic wages, as generally with the american way.

Anyway back to the topic about the centre forward problem, as we have seen time and time again picking a centre forward is a dark art, as especially at this level you see players come in and out of form, which is most of the time why they're at this level and not higher. I think very poor managers will go straight for the high scoring strikers and we know a lot of the time this doesn't always tell the story, as if you play in a team creating a lot of chances and you take set pieces you will score goals, whereas in another team who isn't as creative and you don't get the ball as much then you won't but you look at the conversion rate of the two strikers in similar areas with similar chances and you can build up a picture, isolate the player from the surroundings to get an idea of their ability.

I don't know where we should look, we're definitely not in the market for a 'proven' player or anyone who will command a large fee, but I believe we will be looking at this sensibly. What striker with the sort of service that Benj, Jacobs and Ward can give will flourish, sometimes it can be absolutely the opposite to what their record suggest. We saw Theo and Ward play well together on that side of the pitch, as we saw a good partnership in Bavies and Savies. It's not all about the individuals, but more of the chemistry of how they play.

Good point Ambitious, some players gel and become better than their individual talents would suggest. A lot of it is luck as well, players chucked together due to injuries/suspensions etc.

Archived