The centre forward problem

sage

It seems Davies is going and we seem to want to spend the money we receive from that sale, any profit we make on replacing Shackell and other bits and pieces from Addison and others on a centre forward.

This should give us between £1m and £2m providing all the incoming money is given to NC to spend. Hmmm. Anyway supposing they did ,we could in terms of fee buy an half decent, proven striker, especially if we could get a good cb on a free.

Initially this doesn't seem like a problem. until you look at our wage structure. We have been pretty good at picking up decent players from the SPL and Div 1 and 2 as we can outpay them. However the only players to score over 20 goals from this season are Hooper and Rhodes (too expensive in terms of wages and fee), just been promoted from Div One (Wright Phillips and Rhodes again) or in jail (Evans).

That means we will have to pick a young up and coming cf with potential (not proven) who we can afford the wage of and the good news is the fee shouldn't be too big, but they are unproven. The alternative is we buy a Prem fringe player like Simon Cox. We could potentially afford the fee, but I can't see the likes of him coming to us with our wage budget of £7k max a week (guesstimate).

On that basis, it's difficult to see who we could buy and be very confident of them making an impact.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have strikers at the club who can do a job for us. The biggest thing for me is giving our players motivation and confidence. Clough does not inspire, motivate or encourage his players like a Harry Rednapp type of manager. There is a reason why players play for a manager, but when the manager shows no respect to his players this brings division.

It seems Davies is going and we seem to want to spend the money we receive from that sale, any profit we make on replacing Shackell and other bits and pieces from Addison and others on a centre forward.

This should give us between £1m and £2m providing all the incoming money is given to NC to spend. Hmmm. Anyway supposing they did ,we could in terms of fee buy an half decent, proven striker, especially if we could get a good cb on a free.

Initially this doesn't seem like a problem. until you look at our wage structure. We have been pretty good at picking up decent players from the SPL and Div 1 and 2 as we can outpay them. However the only players to score over 20 goals from this season are Hooper and Rhodes (too expensive in terms of wages and fee), just been promoted from Div One (Wright Phillips and Rhodes again) or in jail (Evans).

That means we will have to pick a young up and coming cf with potential (not proven) who we can afford the wage of and the good news is the fee shouldn't be too big, but they are unproven. The alternative is we buy a Prem fringe player like Simon Cox. We could potentially afford the fee, but I can't see the likes of him coming to us with our wage budget of £7k max a week (guesstimate).

On that basis, it's difficult to see who we could buy and be very confident of them making an impact.

Now here's a controvercial comment and I've put my tin hat on ready...before he became a winger at a club down the road ( who's name I cannot remember), Tyson was playing as a striker with the likes of reading and remember when he signed for the club up the road he had a scoring record of 1 in 2 the previous season...I know he looks like he couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo but maybe ther's a gialscorer in there waiting to be re-introduced onto the front line?....OK...I'm talking bo**ocks...I'll crawl back under my stone. Callum Ball is a year older and a year wiser and as NC says Wardy could be up there. I believe that Wardy up front is wasted because he's better when he's running at defenders but if Jacobs is as good as all the hype and can do a job out wide then at least Wardy knows where the net is?

I don't think we have a maximum wage (this is just a guess by the way). From reports we seemed to of offered Commons some pretty decent wages before he decided to move. Maguire, Green and Shackell have left, I'd be surprised if Jacobs wages are more than Maguires were. If the Shackell wages go on the new CB then we should have Greens & Davies' wages when he goes to spend on a CF that should be quite a bit surely? Leacock, Bywater, Pearson & Croft have all gone off the wage bill too.

I don't think we have a maximum wage (this is just a guess by the way). From reports we seemed to of offered Commons some pretty decent wages before he decided to move. Maguire, Green and Shackell have left, I'd be surprised if Jacobs wages are more than Maguires were. If the Shackell wages go on the new CB then we should have Greens & Davies' wages when he goes to spend on a CF that should be quite a bit surely? Leacock, Bywater, Pearson & Croft have all gone off the wage bill too.

The trouble is if everyone else is in the team is on £3k-£6k, can you really pay someone £12k or more?

We have strikers at the club who can do a job for us. The biggest thing for me is giving our players motivation and confidence. Clough does not inspire, motivate or encourage his players like a Harry Rednapp type of manager. There is a reason why players play for a manager, but when the manager shows no respect to his players this brings division.

What evidence do you have for this theory? One comment about Cywka and Maguire saying he wasn't given a chance? Other players have said the opposite.

What evidence do you have for this theory? One comment about Cywka and Maguire saying he wasn't given a chance? Other players have said the opposite.

It's not a theory it's a fact. Please believe what Im saying.

The trouble is if everyone else is in the team is on £3k-£6k, can you really pay someone £12k or more?

True, it could upset the "great bunch" we have. But in reality most teams in the premiership have a stand out player that gets paid more than the rest of the team. How easily wages are kept secret I don't know, I for one could only guess what each player at Derby is on I genuinely have no idea.

I'd love to have a top quality striker. There might even be a player I want to get on the back of my new buy mobiles.net away kit!!

Now here's a controvercial comment and I've put my tin hat on ready...before he became a winger at a club down the road ( who's name I cannot remember), Tyson was playing as a striker with the likes of reading and remember when he signed for the club up the road he had a scoring record of 1 in 2 the previous season...I know he looks like he couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo but maybe ther's a gialscorer in there waiting to be re-introduced onto the front line?....OK...I'm talking bo**ocks...I'll crawl back under my stone. Callum Ball is a year older and a year wiser and as NC says Wardy could be up there. I believe that Wardy up front is wasted because he's better when he's running at defenders but if Jacobs is as good as all the hype and can do a job out wide then at least Wardy knows where the net is?

No need for A tn hat mate. I think you are spot on. Tyson was been played out of position, and he had an injury that was not his fault for the first half of the season. I'm sure he will have a much better season, and hopefully Clough will instill some confidence into the squad.

To get out this division we need a proven goalscorer so the club will have to invest in someone who WILL get us 15-20 goals , if we keep buying league 1 ,2 and non league players while selling or losing our better players , surely thats the level we will stabilise at .

Also all talk of strikers there is massive hype about Mason .Bennett and Thomas why not use or try them all though last season i dont think bennett scored for first or reserve teams

To get out this division we need a proven goalscorer so the club will have to invest in someone who WILL get us 15-20 goals , if we keep buying league 1 ,2 and non league players while selling or losing our better players , surely thats the level we will stabilise at .

Also all talk of strikers there is massive hype about Mason .Bennett and Thomas why not use or try them all though last season i dont think bennett scored for first or reserve teams

Bennett is 16 in 4 years he probably will be that player but for now he'll just have to make the odd appearance when needed

Some players will be on the figures you quoted but some will be on more than 6k mate. The figures you quoted are more suited to league 1.

Who, other than Barker or Tyson will be on more than £6k?

Archived