7 Subs

Day

@football_league BREAKING NEWS: #FootballLeague clubs have voted to return to 7 subs next season following proposals from Birmingham City & Derby County

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awful decision. Squad size and number of substitutes is the sole reason for spiralling costs and the lack of competitiveness in football and why small teams can't hang onto their star players.

It basically allows teams with lots of money to hoard all the best players and means we don't get to see outfield players in goals anymore.

The substitute rulings, for me, are the biggest thing that is wrong with football - it allows big money to count.

Awful decision. Squad size and number of substitutes is the sole reason for spiralling costs and the lack of competitiveness in football and why small teams can't hang onto their star players.

It basically allows teams with lots of money to hoard all the best players and means we don't get to see outfield players in goals anymore.

The substitute rulings, for me, are the biggest thing that is wrong with football - it allows big money to count.

im guessing there are bigger problems in football that 2 additional blokes sat on the bench

im guessing there are bigger problems in football that 2 additional blokes sat on the bench

So a rule that means that everyone other than the richest (or prepared to get themselves into extreme debt) is uncompetitive at the top is not a bad thing?

It is simple maths - my operating budget is say £1million - I either have a fist team squad of 13 (if 2 subs are named as it used to be) or a first team squad of what 22? The money just doesn't go as far....

Second to that, players wouldn't be so keen to join big clubs if they can't make a 13 man team so stay at their own club.

Extra substitutes means larger squads which means you need a bigger operational budget to succeed. That plays into the hands of a select few. I would say that is a major problem.

So a rule that means that everyone other than the richest (or prepared to get themselves into extreme debt) is uncompetitive at the top is not a bad thing?

It is simple maths - my operating budget is say £1million - I either have a fist team squad of 13 (if 2 subs are named as it used to be) or a first team squad of what 22? The money just doesn't go as far....

Second to that, players wouldn't be so keen to join big clubs if they can't make a 13 man team so stay at their own club.

Extra substitutes means larger squads which means you need a bigger operational budget to succeed. That plays into the hands of a select few. I would say that is a major problem.

Welcome to the forum Mr Glick

At the end of the day, Derby are one of the forerunners for FFP, and we are one of the listed teams keen to reinstate the 7 sub rule. If it was such a bad thing financially, why would we be so for it?

I can sort of see your logic, that if all teams had smaller squads, then the top players would be shared further down the pyramid. But the big clubs would still hoard players.

Didn't think there where restrictions on squad size?

maybe not , tbh i dont know , maybe its just a premier league rule , but still having two extra subs does not mean every team should sign 2 extra players to fill the seats, im guessing we will use Bennett and the other youngsters

maybe not , tbh i dont know , maybe its just a premier league rule , but still having two extra subs does not mean every team should sign 2 extra players to fill the seats, im guessing we will use Bennett and the other youngsters

Prem have to submit 25 iirc, or maybe thats for clubs in Europe - dam can't remember exactly myself! I am sure someone will 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Archived