Sepp Blatter looks for alternative to penalties......

uttoxram75

Completely biased c**k. He'll be celebrating if the German's win a match on penalties in the Euro's, and then start to contradict himself which he always seems to do, look back to the goaline technology debate. I'm fed up with this old, completely out of touch man who runs modern day world football. Not mention a crook and a fraud.

Love how you mention the words "crook and fraud" while having Boris as ya avatar! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sleep' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='-_-' />

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love penalties.. Although it's a cruel way for a team to lose it adds to the drama..

However I can see what Blatter is thinking.. He's thinking from a completely biased point of view because his team (and the better team) has lost a penalty shoot-out.. He never mentioned it a few weeks ago when Bayern beat Real Madrid on penalties..

What is a possible option is to do an NHL style ruling.. During the playoff games if the score is tied the game continues as extra-time (20 minute periods) until someone scores.. During the regular season they have shoot-outs (in which both recieve at least a point) but in the playoffs they take it away as it is deemed unfair to the loser..

Doing this in football would stop teams from defending for the whole of extra-time and they'd have to look for a goal.. The only downside if this is that if favours the better teams.. Imagine if Derby took Man Utd to extra time in an FA Cup tie.. We'd all be delighted if we made it to penalties and this would be regarded as a success in itself.. Now imagine we take Man Utd to extra time and the only way for us to progress is to score the first goal.. The chances of this happening is small and definately favours the better team..

One thing I would suggest though is to get rid of the away goal rule.. In cup competitions its flawed and puts the emphasis on teams to defend a clean sheet (0-0 at home is actually a good result) and therefore is taking way the whole point of the game (to score more goals than the opposition).. With the away goal rule you could actually win a competition without ever winning a single football match.. This IMO influences anti-football tactics and games become a rigid bore-fest..

Nothing can replace penalties. Infinite extra time is just stupid, and reminds me of that 70-68 tennis set at Wimbledon. That is over 10 times the length of a standard set and the representative equivalent would be playing a football match for over 16hrs.

Frankly I'm disappointed at the lack of support for my tickling proposal

I prefer Gboro's staring contest,sorry mr sage

If only we still had Gordon Banks playing, he would have been excellent at this.

I prefer "stone lions". Can you imagine the tension building waiting for a player to move first.

How about at the end of the game each club GM or in international matches the head of the respective FA's hand a brown envelope to the attending FIFA representative and whoever gives the most wins - kind of like a silent auction.

This would bring consistency through the organisation as it would appear (given recent allegations and suspensions) this is the preferred method for making other important decisions.

Archived