I'm writing a 10 minute presentation, I think I've already wrote too much and I'm getting a bit bored. Please read it and tell me where to trim :)

trekkie_ram

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the feedback and idea's guys. I'd love to say it's for school - lol - but as I'm nearly 30 it isn't. It's for a 'Public Speaking Course' that I need to take for a tick in the box towards becoming an instructor (hopefully).

I did one of those a few years ago.

It was pretty scary! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' /> BUT

Since then I've found that I can speak in public and have done so many times without seeming to be too much of a prat! (In other words, I've not been found out yet, 'cept on this site of course 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> ).

No pain, no gain, remember. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wub' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wub:' />

I did one of those a few years ago.

It was pretty scary! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' /> BUT

Since then I've found that I can speak in public and have done so many times without seeming to be too much of a prat! (In other words, I've not been found out yet, 'cept on this site of course 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> ).

No pain, no gain, remember. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wub' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wub:' />

thats one thing about us , bro, we have the ability to laugh at ourselves ... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

thats one thing about us , bro, we have the ability to laugh at ourselves ... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Spot on Bruv! Like the Jews (who I admire and respect immensely BTW)

[url=

'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wub' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wub:' />

In conclusion it must be said that despite the continuing support from our loyal fans over the years that has

kept us continually among the top 12 to 15 best supported teams in England we constantly under-achieve

and punch below our weight.This is likely to remain the case until we get a board that have the passion and

committment and ambition that can match us fans.Cant wait!

I've gone through and changed small parts, and added more recent events (I was always going to do this). It still isn't finished, and I haven't proof read any of the new stuff, so it will likely get weaker as it goes along, but I wanted to share it before I went to bed. Hopefully I can use the input to improve it.

Ladies and Gentleman, today I am going to bore you with a 10 minute presentation

on the football team that I support, Derby County.

Derby County were founded on the 5th of February 1884, this was the same year in which:

• The first edition of the Oxford English Dictionary was published.
  • And it is the same year as the Colchester Earthquake. Which is the single most destructive Earthquake in UK History...

... making the forming of Derby County the second most tragic event to occur that year.

The club were founded by William Morley, as an offshoot to the much more popular Derbyshire County Cricket Club, as a way to give the players something to do in the winter. The original plan was to call the team Derbyshire County Football Club, but the FA decided that having that name would confuse fans who thought they were attending a Cricket match.

Our nickname is The Rams, which is a tribute to the clubs links with The First Regiment of Derby Militia, who took their mascot from a song called "The Derby Ram".

Despite the club being formed in February, It took seven months before we played our first match.
    A friendly against a footballing giant by the name of Great Lever.

We lost 6-0.

The following year we made our debut in the FA Cup, and played our first ever competitive match against the mighty Walsall Town.

We lost 7-0. At home.

Despite these early setbacks we went from strength to strength. Derby were one of the twelve founder members of the Football League in 1888 and as two of those teams no longer exist, we are one of only ten clubs that have competed in every single season of the English Football League.

Derby were a competitve force in the 1890's finishing runners up in the league in 1896, and twice finishing 3rd. We had several excellent runs in the FA Cup, reaching the final on three occasions.

In 1898 we played local rivals Nottingham Forest.

We Lost 3-1.

The following year, 1899, we reached the final again, we played Sheffield United.

We lost 4-1.

In 1903 we reached the final again, we played Bury, surely third time lucky?

We lost 6-0.

109yrs later, this is still the record, for the biggest winning margin in FA Cup Final history.

Despite never actually winning anything, we did have an excellent early history which will be remembered most fondly for an individual named Steve Bloomer. Bloomer played for Derby for a total of 18yrs, scoring 332 goals in 525 matches, and remains the clubs all time leading goalscorer.

Today, there is a bust of Steve Bloomer next to the dugout, and the Derby County anthem 'Steve Bloomer's Watchin' is played before every home game. You can tell how succesful Derby have been over the years by the fact that we still sing the plaudits of a man born in 138 years ago.

Steve Bloomer also had an outstanding record for the England national side, scoring 28 goals in only 23 games, and is considered by many to have been England's first superstar. Bloomer would have certainly played many more games, but he was forced into early retirement in 1914 due to the war.

Two world wars came and went, and Derby County were only slightly more succesful than Germany during this time.

Then came 1946.

It was the first FA Cup Competition since the war had ended. As their was no league season, it was decided that every single round of the FA Cup up to the final should be contested over two legs. This was the first and last time this had ever happened. It was also the last time that Derby County reached an FA Cup Final.

We were playing Charlton. It had been 43yrs since our 6-0 defeat against Bury, and as you now know, BECAUSE that 6-0 scoreline IS still a record, we couldn't have done any worse. Surely?

We won 4-1, we needed Extra Time, but we won! The Rams were on the up!!

7yrs later we were relegated.

2yrs later we were relegated again.

We have only ever had two stints in the third division, each lasting two seasons, this was the first. We actually scored 221 league goals in two seasons in the third tier, finishing second (which wasn't good enough for promotion back then) and then as champions.

We went on to proudly establish ourselves as a mediocre Second Division side before the arrival of Brian Clough and Peter Taylor in 1967. Now the story of Brian Clough & Peter Taylor could easily be turned into an hour long presentation by itself.

To cut a long story short, they were a revelation for the club and had turned Derby County into English Champions within 5yrs. The recent title race between Manchester United & Manchester City is considered the most exciting in Premiership history, but this is not even a patch on 1972.

Derby had beaten Liverpool 1-0 in their LAST game of the season to leapfrog Manchester City and go top of the league, the problem was: Leeds & Liverpool each still had a game to play.

• Liverpool needed a win against Arsenal.
    • Leeds just needed a point against Wolves.

The Derby players were on holiday in Majorca when they learnt the news that Liverpool had only drawn and Wolves had beaten Leeds. Allegedly the Leeds manager Don Revie had attempted to bribe the Wolves players, so incensed by this, the Wolves players doubled their efforts to deny Leeds the title.

Derby County finished the season on 58pts, with Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester City all finishing only 1pt behind on 57.

With legendary players including Kevin Hector, Roy McFarland, Colin Todd & Archie Gemmill. We went on to compete in Europe in 1973, we reached the Semi-Final of the European Cup, where we were controversially beaten by Juventus, amid strong accusations that they had bribed the referee. Considering they have been found guilty of this on multiple occasions since, it seems likely that a bribe cost us the 1973 European Cup.

Shortly after this, our board fell out with a very outspoken Brian Clough and Peter Taylor and they left, eventually leading Nottingham Forest to League and European success, if not for the falling out with our board it is considered highly possible that Derby County could have gone on to dominate english football, and the two men are still so highly regarded for what they achieved, that a 9ft bronze statue was erected in their honour only two years ago.

We did win a second league title in 1975 under new manager Dave Mackay, a player that Clough and Taylor had signed. And in the following season, we even beat Real Madrid 4-1 in the European Cup with Charlie George scoring a hat-trick, but unfortunately they won the return leg 5-1 and we were out.

This marked the end of Derby County's brief flirtation at being one of the top teams in English football. Within 5yrs we were back in the Second Division, and by 1984 we were experiencing our second stint in Division Three.

Derby County appointed Arthur Cox as manager, and he achieved succesive promotions to lead the club back into the top flight. With the financial backing of Robert Maxwell, Derby had purchased footballing legends such as Peter Shilton, Mark Wright, Dean Saunders & Ted McMinn, and finished 5th in 1989, only missing out on Europe because English clubs were banned at this time.

The following season was very memorable for personal reasons, because in 1990 my Dad took me to my first Derby County match, aged 8. I can vividly remember that we played Norwich at home, but blinkered by youth I remember cheering both goals in what I reminisced for years as a 2-0 win.

Unfortunately I discovered years later that we had not won the game.

We hadn't even drawn it.

In fact we lost pretty miserably, probably made more miserable for the people sat near me and my terrified Dad for the fact that I was cheering on the canaries.

Nonetheless, having seemed keen on the experience, my Dad bought us season tickets for the following season.

So for 9 months, once a fortnight I spent my saturday afternoon sat next to my Dad, And on the other side, a stranger who smoked a pack of 20 cigarettes in each half. At least this time I knew which side I was cheering, the one that was usually losing.

That season taught me many things. I was put off cigarettes for life. And that my Dad had burdened me with supporting the unluckiest team in English football. But it wasn't all bad, such as our last game of the season we beat Southampton 6-2. Unfortunately it meant nothing as we had been relegated for months.

A large reason for our demise was that the Chairmen had lost interest in the club, and was stripping us of our valuable assets, we found a new owner in local businessman Lionel Pickering.

Lionel Pickering was willing to invest tens of millions of pounds into Derby County, and it felt like every week we were making a £2million signing. We spent far more than the clubs around us, but it barely made a difference, we were competing for promotion, but we always came up short.

In 1995, Jim Smith was appointed manager, and most of the expensive signings were moved on and replaced with much cheaper options. After a slow start we were being tipped for relegation to the third division by several journalists, but then came the turning point of our season, the signing of defender Igor Stimac.

Igor Stimac had an instant impact, scoring on his debut against Tranmere

in a game that we lost 5-1.

But things soon turned around, and following a 20 game unbeaten run, we had achieved promotion by finishing second in the league.

We were given little chance of staying in the Premier League, but we went from strength to strength, finishing 12th then 9th then 8th.

In 1997 we moved into our current home, Pride Park.

Derby County have played their home games at three different stadiums, namely: The Racecourse Ground, The Baseball Ground and Pride Park. Derby County are the only team that have hosted an England international at three different grounds. The most recent being a 4-0 friendly win over Mexico in 2001.

These were exciting times for Derby County, we played the game with flair and attack, always believing that we could outscore our opponents. We were signing high profile players, such as the Italian International Stefano Eranio from AC Milan. We beat all of the top teams more than once, and in 1999 we did the double over a Liverpool side starring Gerrard, Fowler and Owen.

Unfortunately it had to end, and in 2002 we were relegated. We bought poorly and it cost us. Our board made some poor decisions, and we went down with our third manager in only four months.

We gambled on bouncing back immediately, and managed to keep our better players, but the debts were mounting and the club was in serious danger of ceasing to exist. We were forced to sell many players,

(11pts season will be mentioned)

Thanks for all the feedback and idea's guys. I'd love to say it's for school - lol - but as I'm nearly 30 it isn't. It's for a 'Public Speaking Course' that I need to take for a tick in the box towards becoming an instructor (hopefully).

Just a thought mate, its for your course so the content is secondary to your public speaking skills, there's no reason at all why you can't slip a few daft ones in...............

DCFC are so superior to their impoverished neighbours, Notts Forest, that it is customary to let them have an extra player to even it up a bit.

Derby have a rivalry with their neighbours from Nottingham, its a bit like Glasgow Rangers' rivalry with Clydebank....

The road connecting Derby and Nottingham is called the Brian Clough Way in honour of the great man. Fitting really because even through his years as Forest manager he travelled the A52 every night back to his spiritual home in Derby.

I'm sure you'll get more suggestions........... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

don't forget the basic rule of giving a presentation:

1. tell 'em what you're going to say...
  2. talk about the subject
  3. tell 'em what you've just said

and as has been already said, convert it to bullet points (not waffle - max 5 per slide) and never (ever, ever, ever!!!!) just read out what is on the slides....good luck.

I enjoyed reading that Trekkie - it has good, flowing content.

I agree with others though, chuck in a few chuckle moments and you'll keep your audience. If you're reading from your notes, hilite places where a little anecdote can be put - and practice it over & over beforehand, working on your voice tone, cos there's nowt worse than listening to someone with a monotone voice.

Good luck with it, let us know how you go on.

I've got an accompanying power point, but it is largely pictures.

I have written it with cues when to Click to the next slide.

-------------------------------------

We gambled on bouncing back immediately, and managed to keep our better players, but the debts were mounting and the club was in serious danger of ceasing to exist. We were forced to sell many players.

[CLICK - Picture of George Burley]

In 2003 we had employed yet another manager, the former Ipswich man George Burley. Who somehow with only peanuts to spend, had turned Derby County into a team capable of competing for promotion. Leading us to 4th place in the league.

Unfortunately George Burley and Derby County parted ways in 2005, for reasons that were never OFFICIALLY disclosed.

[CLICK - Look at picture of Booze on the screen]

Don't forget. Worst team in history.

Seriously if you don't bring it up some smart arse will... Are you doing this at a school or college in Derbyshire?

Good point.

Trekkie, try something like......during the 2007-8 season we were promoted above our ability, something i'm sure the present audience has never suffered - pause for laughter- we consequently had a nightmare season finishing on only eleven points, a record low for the Premier League era. Luckily our main rivals, Notts Forest, were 2 Divisions below us floundering at a level we haven't been at since 1986.......

So Dawnie, to sum up, kiss my woolly ass........... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

Archived