Clough quotes indicate transfer plans this summer?

dabber

I thought there were some interesting comments by Clough, detailed today in the DET, that indicate the transfer plans for the summer. First up it seems that the striker might cost a few bob as they need to shift out a few first (hope the target(s) don’t get snapped up elsewhere meanwhile).

"We need to get somebody to put the ball in the net for us on a regular basis, that is all that is missing," said Clough after Saturday's 1-1 draw at Pride Park Stadium.

"The Peterborough game just highlighted where we need to improve," added Clough, who is already planning ahead.

"We have targets in mind. They have been identified but getting them is a different matter," he said.

"We won't be doing business early like we did 12 months ago.

"We will try to raise a bit of money by moving out one or two fringe players to be able to get one striker in.

Seems Bailey might be one to be moved on as clearly Hendrick and Bryson are first choice for CM, but Bailey would a great back up if he is happy being second fiddle

"We are not looking at central midfield because Jeff (Hendrick) and Craig (Bryson) are our two starters in there next season.

Definitely keen on Hughes for the RM slot, wonder what that means for the Jacobs from Northampton possibility?

"So the final third is the area we are looking at and that doesn't take much working out.

"Ideally, you would want one with a little more experience than Will.

"But if it is Will, it's Will.

Doesn’t sound like the young left back would be a loan as that would not fit with the conveyor belt model. So does that rule out Robinson from L’pool or is the plan for a season loan with a view to a permanent?

"That is the way the conveyor belt should work at any football club. You should always have one waiting to come through and that is why we are so keen to get in a younger left-back."

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we don't get a midfielder in that can break down play or tackle a player then we'll be as woeful at times next season then we have been this season. Hendrick and Bryson? Really? Hendrick can pass, Bryson can Run. They offer us nothing. Ih Hendrick could actually keep hold of the ball and successfully pass it about 90% of the time, then we'll be fine. If Bryson learns how to tackle, and can improve his passing, then we'll be fine. I really don't see how our team will improve with the mid-field pair we've got. They're far too light weight.

i think frige players he will mean that lee croft will be signed by his scotties club, and miles addidson will be signed permeantley by bornmouth and even i think the young yank coner doyle will be gone along with chris maguire. so to me this little lot might rise about region of 2m maybe.

i think frige players he will mean that lee croft will be signed by his scotties club, and miles addidson will be signed permeantley by bornmouth and even i think the young yank coner doyle will be gone along with chris maguire. so to me this little lot might rise about region of 2m maybe.

Think you're right about the first 3. Maguire will get pre season to prove himself.

Saul Deeney's staying to be joint number 2 with Legzdins - each will go out on loan at some point in the season, taking turns to do so, so both get some games.

On the issue of the left back, Clough has said there's Gareth Roberts at 34 and Rhys Sharpe at 17, with nothing in between. There aren't many decent left backs about at present so it's likely to be a loan.

Some decent players being transfer listed released noticed just today

McCann from Peterborough

Jay mac! too much wages was just saying

Paul Taylor wouldn't be bad signing

They'll only be British/south/north Ireland players As is cloughs preference it seems

COYR

Jay McEverley? really... loaned out by barnsley and unimpressive in league two, may as well sign Fagan whilst we're at it!! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

I think it would be a lot more cost effective to work with the strikers we already have, there is ability there particularly in Maguire and Steve Davies, max their potential and we really do not need another striker...

a left back, right mid and centre midfielder are higher on my priority list.

Forget about Maguire, what's the point in sacrificing the entire club philosophy for a player of his talent? Unless he changes and adapts to our style he's outta here. Clough's mentioned that he spent ten years for Aberdeen and that the transition to our style and game got the better of him.

Forget about Maguire, what's the point in sacrificing the entire club philosophy for a player of his talent? Unless he changes and adapts to our style he's outta here. Clough's mentioned that he spent ten years for Aberdeen and that the transition to our style and game got the better of him.

I think Clough will give him a chance in pre season, wouldn't want to see 400k wasted, he could still come good.

I think the striker priority could be due to the fact that they cost more money, and this transfer could potentially be the biggest in Clough's time here. He wants to get it right, and he will take his time to get the right man.

As for Maguire, Glick said that he was in the long term plans of the club, I really hope he is given a chance pre-season to prove himself. If he doesn't take it, then he will have disappointed yet again. Green, Addison and Croft will make their way this summer, possibly Doyle, but I can't see anyone else going unless it's for silly money. That's the good thing about the squad we have atm, it's a squad that is good enough to compete without being held back by deadwood. Of course we are short, but we're getting there.

Apart from the striker, the Q and A the other week revealed that we were after a RM, a CM and a LB. That would give us decent options in all positions.

His had one year, in our position IMO if a player has ability, work with it... we're not in a position to chuck good players out the door IMO.

Saul Deeney's staying to be joint number 2 with Legzdins - each will go out on loan at some point in the season, taking turns to do so, so both get some games.

On the issue of the left back, Clough has said there's Gareth Roberts at 34 and Rhys Sharpe at 17, with nothing in between. There aren't many decent left backs about at present so it's likely to be a loan.

If Roberts carries on the way he is then Sharpe will be mid-20's before he gets a game. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Archived