Positional strength

Ghost of Clough

We do we need to strengthen? Based on the squad you get an idea. The minimum should be two players in each position (in my opinion).

Gk: Fielding, Legzdins

CB: Shackell, Buxton, OB, Naylor

RB: Brayford, Naylor and Green (if he stays) for backup

LB: Roberts

CM: Hendrick, Bryson, Bailey, Green

R/LW: Ward, Bavies

ST: Savies, Theo, Ball, Tyson, Maguire?

Therefore, we need a new left back (1st or 2nd choice), and a winger (who can play on both sides like Ward and Bavies). If everyone stays that's all we need. Two positions and roughly £1m spent. However, If Green leaves, we need a new CM.

Another CB could be useful for backup, not first team, as i'd rather have OB starting. Also, if Ball is loaned out (which should happen in my opinion) and Maguire sold, we need a new forward. Bennett isn't ready, and we should rush his progress. He WILL find his natural potential if he stays injury free. So playing him a lot at a young age will only harm him in the future. There will be the odd appearance now and then, which is needed.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Green will stay, he's had the opportunity to find a new club, and sign a pre-contract agreement and he still hasn't signed one, not even any rumours, which is unusual because in Commons case it was common knowledge he was off to Celtic.

I expect Bennett and Hughes to be playing a few more games next season, they're both around the 16 now, so in 6 months or so they'll be a little bit more mature and can be used as decent backups.

GK: Fielding, Legzdins, Atkins, Severn (I expect one of the two atkins or severn to leave - probably atkins)

RB - Brayford, Naylor, Bailey (if desperate, played there for Crewe)

CB -Shackell, Buxton, O'Brien, Naylor

LB - Roberts, *NEW*

RM - Ben Davies, *NEW*

CM - Hendrick, Bryson, Bailey, Green, Hughes

LM - Ward, Tyson

ST - Steve Davies, Robinson, Bennett, Maguire, Ball

I'd let Ball go out on loan, in my opinion, he's very one dimensional, for such a big player he's not very good in the air to win flick on's and his old up play is no better then Robinson, he'll never be a premiership player, league 1/2 is his standard. Hopefully Maguire's upturn in form will be enough for Clough to keep him, I think he's a classy player, maybe our replacement for Commons?

Required :- Left back, Right midfielder, 1 or 2 free transfers to boost the depth of the squad (Luke Chambers etc)

Midfielders, midfielders, midfielders.

B.Davies, Hendrick, Green, Bailey and Bryson. None can tackle. Not enough goals. Not enough quality service. Not enough organisation between protecting defenders and getting forward.

I know we are all on a high ATM. Loving Bryson for his goal v Leeds etc.

But if you forget the times Ward was our only way of getting out our half. The times we've struggled to get near the ball for long periods and then given it away cheaply.

If you forget all that and go into the summer remembering our 10 or so games we've won midfield battles and buy strikers and defenders I don't think we'd improve overall.

Our defence is pretty good. Two of our strikers score goals despite injuries and much limited service.

Green, Bryson, Bavies, Hendrick and Bailey. All jack of all trades master of none players. Of which Hendrick reaches the highest standards.

1 RM. 2 CMs are essential. On our tight budget I'd let Green go. He's identical to Bryson and we need his wages.

Midfielders, midfielders, midfielders.

B.Davies, Hendrick, Green, Bailey and Bryson. None can tackle. Not enough goals. Not enough quality service. Not enough organisation between protecting defenders and getting forward.

I know we are all on a high ATM. Loving Bryson for his goal v Leeds etc.

But if you forget the times Ward was our only way of getting out our half. The times we've struggled to get near the ball for long periods and then given it away cheaply.

If you forget all that and go into the summer remembering our 10 or so games we've won midfield battles and buy strikers and defenders I don't think we'd improve overall.

Our defence is pretty good. Two of our strikers score goals despite injuries and much limited service.

Green, Bryson, Bavies, Hendrick and Bailey. All jack of all trades master of none players. Of which Hendrick reaches the highest standards.

1 RM. 2 CMs are essential. On our tight budget I'd let Green go. He's identical to Bryson and we need his wages.

Must admit that,given the limited resources Nigel will have to play with,I've changed my mind on this.I'd hate to see anything done that hinders Hendrick's development.He's improving steadily and next year should be a little stronger.By his own admission,it's been a season of adjustment for Bryson and I expect him to improve next year.

Love him or loathe him,we always look as though we might score with Theo in the side-from what I remember,our bad stretch coincided with his absence.If we can keep Savies fit,I don't see the striking department as a priority.

I think a lot of our problems (when strikers are fit) stem from the lack of quality delivery from wide areas.Given this,I'd prioritise a quality RM + LB cover-CM if more resources made available,but only if we're talking real quality.

Must admit that,given the limited resources Nigel will have to play with,I've changed my mind on this.I'd hate to see anything done that hinders Hendrick's development.He's improving steadily and next year should be a little stronger.By his own admission,it's been a season of adjustment for Bryson and I expect him to improve next year.

Love him or loathe him,we always look as though we might score with Theo in the side-from what I remember,our bad stretch coincided with his absence.If we can keep Savies fit,I don't see the striking department as a priority.

I think a lot of our problems (when strikers are fit) stem from the lack of quality delivery from wide areas.Given this,I'd prioritise a quality RM + LB cover-CM if more resources made available,but only if we're talking real quality.

Problem is, real quality costs real money. And we haven't got any (until we sell Maguire)

I think the striker department should be the last place we should be looking to strengthen (ok other than goalie). We will have Robinson, Savies, Tyson, Ball, Maguire (if he comes back and if not then we still have Bennett) so we have enough. What we don't have is the creativity. We need a RW and priority number 1 and if we're not keeping Addison then we need some cover at the back.

Archived