More nationalities in the Academy needed

Derby.Lad23

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every year the club takes on a bunch of players on trial over the summer including players from overseas. Last year there was an Italian youth player over from Sampdoria or Juventus or something, another lad was a midfielder from the New Zealand U18 side who did well in the World Youth Cup, there were three or four players over from the U.S or Canada and a couple of African players I think. Compared to the players we had coming up from the U16s and so on, they were not deemed good enough. Also the club was trying out players from around the U.K and gives a second chance to youth players who have been overlooked by other clubs and are plying their trade in the local non league. Nial Dawkins is one of these. Some of the recruits in the current U18s and U16s sides have been plucked from sides in League One or Two. We have a good scouting set up in Ireland and usually have a few players picked up from there. We know about O'brien and Hendrick. Currently there are also 1st year scholars Hayes and Wixted (Both Irish youth internationals) were both signed from Ireland.

We can't gaurantee players will stay with us, some players get there head turned and are offered trials with Premier League clubs. Two of the players who were playing with our U16s side have had trials at Man Utd over this spring. We might lose them, before they've signed as scholars, its hard to keep some players, unless they have signed a contract. Some of the crop of players who were with the U16s this season, won't be offered scholarships with us. They might go on to be pro's with other clubs. It happens at every club. Only a few of the scholars we take on each year will have the right temperment and be good enough to earn a pro deal at the club. Seems like we have a good group of players coming through though, no need for any drastic changes in the recruitment the club does from what I can see.

From the article RR posted then it looks like its just under 14's effected (and those 15 or over not on contracts) by EPPP.

Also for kids that age parents will ultimately have the final say and as the article says you need to provide housing etc for the kids - if DCFC are offering it then parents may be turned by it.

The Futsal scholarships seem to be a good way of getting talent in that may have missed earlier in too.

DCFC seem to focussing on the youth in the right way - education shouldnt be harmed by football - an ethos parents can buy into.

Fifa and Football Manager stats, arnt a load of Crap... They have THOUSANDS of researchers who are watching all teams. They also watch Youth Team and the Reserves. They watch all the leagues and work incredibly hard to make the stats real.. so not all Football Manager stuff is crap.

As for our Academy, i think we have one of the best in the League we've been bringing fantastic players through our academy for a long long time.. The likes of Lee Camp, Grant, Huddlestone, Mcleod, Pablo Mills... Loads and loads, Tom Huddlestone signed for Tottenham for 5 million pounds or something.. So i'd be perfectly happy if our academy stays the same

Fifa and Football Manager stats, arnt a load of Crap... They have THOUSANDS of researchers who are watching all teams. They also watch Youth Team and the Reserves. They watch all the leagues and work incredibly hard to make the stats real.. so not all Football Manager stuff is crap.

As for our Academy, i think we have one of the best in the League we've been bringing fantastic players through our academy for a long long time.. The likes of Lee Camp, Grant, Huddlestone, Mcleod, Pablo Mills... Loads and loads, Tom Huddlestone signed for Tottenham for 5 million pounds or something.. So i'd be perfectly happy if our academy stays the same

One top division footballer in how ever many years, not that brilliant. Mentioning Pablo Mills and Mcleod is nothing to brag about, if anything, it's something we should keep quiet about.

Neon..... Lighten up!!! They are games. I am sure you are bright enough to realise that.

Football manager's database is use by many professional clubs. One of which is Everton. It has to have some realism in the stats if they use it for preliminary scouting, right?

I know nothing about it except that it is a game. No doubt they do try to have a modicum of realism but I do not believe that any serious professional club would base their scouting on it.

ps. I think you took my comment to Neon a little too seriously 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Why does it matter what nationality players are? If they are British they are more likely to be able to settle and concentrate on their football in a culture and language that they are used to. Having your family around you is also important to most young players. I don't see why it matters that we mainly have British players in the development squad, have you looked at the starting 11's nationality? With the exotic nationalities of Scotland and Ireland (apparently) I am sure that we don't need work permits.

Why does it matter what nationality players are? If they are British they are more likely to be able to settle and concentrate on their football in a culture and language that they are used to. Having your family around you is also important to most young players. I don't see why it matters that we mainly have British players in the development squad, have you looked at the starting 11's nationality? With the exotic nationalities of Scotland and Ireland (apparently) I am sure that we don't need work permits.

You are absolutely spot on. It is vital that the young players are settled and the best way to do that is to have predominately players from the British Isles.

Archived