Driving insurance bullsh*t. (Advice please)

trekkie_ram

[size=2]*NCB = No claims bonus[/size]

I am approaching my 30th birthday and I finally got around to passing my test today. I have had insurance in my name for over 3 years, and have 3 years NCB's. I have over 4 months left on my current insurance, for which I paid £500. I have declared that I have passed my test to my insurer, and have been offered a choice: They'll cancel my policy, and give me £20 (twenty) for the remaining 4 months 19 days of my insurance. Or I can start a new 12 month policy today for £900. Wow!!!

I have tried to get a quote elsewhere, and CompareTheMarket and DirectLine refuse to acknowledge my 3 years NCB, saying matter-of-factly, that as I've had my license for only 0 days, that I cannot possibly have 3 years NCB ('computer says no' basically). Fortunately Confused.com do let me input my NCB's, and have offered a quote of £480.

My two gripes that I need help with are:

I cannot see why my NCB's would be null and void simply for passing my test.

I cannot see how they will only give me £20 for over one third of £500 worth of cover (£170ish).

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How have you received 3 years no claims before passing your test? I am confused.

You can earn NCB's as a provisional. (I'm nearly 30, I've owned a car for years).

Update: I have kept my original insurance, but my name has been removed from the policy (they wanted to charge £25 for this privilege too, but I said no and they relented). Somehow in crazy cuckoo world, this promoted my Wife to policy holder, and even more bizarre, she has apparently assumed my NCB's. So she can still legally drive the car for the next 4 months, and in August when the policy expires, she will receive a certificate for 4yrs NCB's (no idea how, but this was confirmed by them), and we'll get insurance in her name, with me as a named driver.

Legal? Right? Cock-up by a company that have been nothing but a chore since day one? Who knows.

Still, it works out alright, but I'm a bit miffed that I can no longer legally drive the car that I could drive yesterday (or at 10am today).

Go through a broker, I had a similiar issue with trying to get insurance as well.

I had a company car for 6 years, with no claims in those years, and previously had accumulated 7 years of no claims. I decided to buy a car and tried to call and see if they would honor my no claims from business. All the companies refused, and I decided to go to a broker in last attempt.

He found me a policy that gave me 4 years for the work and an extra year for the previous 7, as i had documentation to back it, saved £400 (insured to use for business).

i asked why he could find it, and his reply was quite startling. As a broker they want to get the best deal for you as they want your business, the person at the insurance firm wants the best deal for them as they get commission and will try and close the deal as soon as possible.

Its a big game all this insurance lark. The only way to get a reasonable deal is to spend many hours looking into it and go through the comparison sites or pay a broker to do it for you.

There's nothing really wrong with the Insurance industry that a medium sized thermo-nuclear bomb wouldn't sort out.

You can earn NCB's as a provisional. (I'm nearly 30, I've owned a car for years).

Update: I have kept my original insurance, but my name has been removed from the policy (they wanted to charge £25 for this privilege too, but I said no and they relented). Somehow in crazy cuckoo world, this promoted my Wife to policy holder, and even more bizarre, she has apparently assumed my NCB's. So she can still legally drive the car for the next 4 months, and in August when the policy expires, she will receive a certificate for 4yrs NCB's (no idea how, but this was confirmed by them), and we'll get insurance in her name, with me as a named driver.

Legal? Right? Cock-up by a company that have been nothing but a chore since day one? Who knows.

Still, it works out alright, but I'm a bit miffed that I can no longer legally drive the car that I could drive yesterday (or at 10am today).

I have never heard of a driver earning NCB while being on a provisional. However, if that was the case you would only get the NCB from the same insurer. Much like when you hear about named drivers getting a NCB - the NCB is unrecognised by other insurers until you have been on your own insurance for a year and have a proper certificate.

Try the CIS co-op insurance. You get to actually speak to people.

Agreed, I do mine through CIS co-op and have done for donkeys years. No stress, they sort it for me. I'm sure I could probably get it a few quid cheaper elsewhere but for all the hassle that I hear people have to go through I'd rather just have good customer service and a reasonable deal.

The price has gone up because you can now drive on your own, and they assume are more likely in the first few years to be a crazy driver :-)

I had a company car for many years, and it was a nightmare when doing it on line, but when I picked up the phone and spoke to someone they sorted everthing out, even advising me that I had some NCB after I had renewed.

I would also carry on through your wifes insurance for a few years, you might not gain any NCB, but it will be so more cheaper until you have a few years driving under your belt.

I have never heard of a driver earning NCB while being on a provisional. However, if that was the case you would only get the NCB from the same insurer. Much like when you hear about named drivers getting a NCB - the NCB is unrecognised by other insurers until you have been on your own insurance for a year and have a proper certificate.

Again, ignorance and nonsense.

What is difficult to understand? I have owned a car for about 7 years. This is the 4th year in which the insurance has been in my name, and I haven't made a claim. I have even switched companies twice in this time. I get proof of NCB's from my previous insurance companies. These can be input with some online companies. Unfortunately most of them don't allow you to input this on their site (but will accept it over the phone). It is a massive oversight in the IT department.

If anyone is on a partners/parents insurance as a named driver, then keep all documents that state you are on this.

I was on my mothers insurance for 20 odd years, but when it came to getting the car in my name they said i had no NCD.

They told me if i had proof i had been on her insurance, then they would give me NCD.

Luckily i found old policy's going back 6 years wth my name on there as a named driver, and they then gave me 4 years no claims disc

Again, ignorance and nonsense.

What is difficult to understand? I have owned a car for about 7 years. This is the 4th year in which the insurance has been in my name, and I haven't made a claim. I have even switched companies twice in this time. I get proof of NCB's from my previous insurance companies. These can be input with some online companies. Unfortunately most of them don't allow you to input this on their site (but will accept it over the phone). It is a massive oversight in the IT department.

The problem is for them, that your driving would have been very limited in this time and you would always be under supervision. It's a different risk altogether now. Claims in the first year after passing a test reflect this.

There are a few websites giving useful advice. Here's one.

http://www.carinsuranceexplained.com/car-insurance-tips.html

Not sure if it's in that one but what time of day you phone a company can affect the quote. e.g. Early in their shift they want to make a good start on hitting their quota - Late in their shift, they may be getting desparate to achieve their quota.

It's all a sort of game to them. Definitely shop around and use several comparison sites.

I've just reinsured my Hyundai i20 for £184, previous insurers quoted £266 - for exactly the same cover. One quote came out at over £1000 - for exactly the same cover!

Archived