Jason Shackell

BorneoRam

Would you really sell your're captain for 2 million? No way. If Matt Mills sold for 5.5 Million, i want at least 8 million 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> Well, thats what i want Cloughie to say, just to scare of clubs.

He's not the captain, Barker is- he is only keeping the band warm. I would definitely sell for 2 million, I would sell 1.5 million.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's pretty much the point - if there isn't the money, then don't sell him. If we sell Shackell for barely more than a million, short of getting a decent free-transfer, we're going to blow most of the money on replacing Shackell, so we've gone nowhere. The only reason to sell Shackell would be if we got enough for a replacement CB and a decent amount to strengthen elsewhere as well. That means £2m+ to me or we don't sell.

And regarding Mills, I'm not saying he was personally at fault for where leicester finished. But they barely finished above us, and he was very very poor for them and by the end of the season was not getting selected at all. If he was that great a player, he would be getting games for them.

There isn't the money- he is worth at most 1.5 million in todays climate. This also means that the replacement players will be cheaper than if there was more money around. It is to do with market value.

I haven't had a look yet but I am sure that we could find a replacement for Shacks of similar quality for 800k- almost half of the 1.5 mil we may be able to get for him. In my book, it would be stupid not to sell in these circumstances, add another 500k to the profits and buy a striker or creative midfielder.

So he must be worth at least 3? How come we picked him up for less than a mil then? Also, he is now older and there is even less money about.

Which foot he uses is irrelevant as his distribution is appalling whichever he uses.

Maybe i should have been clearer, I don't think he's worth £3 million thats the sort of money you spend on a CB if you have just got promotion, and want to stay up. But I think he's worth more than 1.2 million, if Wes Morgan who was from a bottom 5 side, with 6 months on his contract went for £1 million. Shacks coming up to 29, so after another year his values going to drop rather than increase, but I think he's worth around the £1.8-2 million mark. Then I agree we could maybe find a similar replacement hopefully for £800,000 (although it makes you wonder why Burnley haven't done this) and put £1 million a side for a decent striker.

Maybe i should have been clearer, I don't think he's worth £3 million thats the sort of money you spend on a CB if you have just got promotion, and want to stay up. But I think he's worth more than 1.2 million, if Wes Morgan who was from a bottom 5 side, with 6 months on his contract went for £1 million. Shacks coming up to 29, so after another year his values going to drop rather than increase, but I think he's worth around the £1.8-2 million mark. Then I agree we could maybe find a similar replacement hopefully for £800,000 (although it makes you wonder why Burnley haven't done this) and put £1 million a side for a decent striker.

Agreed then (pretty much!) I think we should sell at anything over 1.2, you would hold out for more. But we could get a replacement for cheaper and spend the dosh elsewhere

He's not the captain, Barker is- he is only keeping the band warm. I would definitely sell for 2 million, I would sell 1.5 million.

Yes i know but he's going to be the captain all next season, but no way would i sell him for 1.5-2 million, im to much of a fan.

the valuation is all about opinion so im not going to say your wrong but he has been one of the better centre halves in the league and in previous seasons they have gone for more than 1.2m...all im saying is let be more like southampton and ask for top whack for our players rather than like we normally do and just let em go for next to nowt

Yes i know but he's going to be the captain all next season, but no way would i sell him for 1.5-2 million, im to much of a fan.

To much of a fan of Shackell? I rate the guy but I think if were to get 1.5 mil and spend it wisely we would be a better team for it

To much of a fan of Shackell? I rate the guy but I think if were to get 1.5 mil and spend it wisely we would be a better team for it

I can see where your coming from, but he's one of, if not the best centre half in the league, and for me, you wont get a better player in and then buy some more good players for 1.5 million, not in this day and age. 4 million, and i'll take it, nothing less.

Not really... What, so you want to lose one of your best players, then bring in 400k signings? Yes Bryson was a good find, but Cloughie might bring in another Maguire, Doyle, Croft, no way, Would'nt sell Shackell, especially now that Barker is injured and definitely not for 1.5 million. Just my opinion though.

Not really... What, so you want to lose one of your best players, then bring in 400k signings? Yes Bryson was a good find, but Cloughie might bring in another Maguire, Doyle, Croft, no way, Would'nt sell Shackell, especially now that Barker is injured and definitely not for 1.5 million. Just my opinion though.

I still think that Maguire will turn out to be a decent player- just doesn't look like it will be at Derby. You are forgetting Bailey, Brayford, Naylor, Fielding, Theo and Ward which were all brought in for about the money you are talking about. But, I didn't say 400k signings did I? If Clough can spend 800k as wisely as he spent on the previous group of players we could be in line for a very good replacement.

You mentioned 4 millon earlier- did you know that is how much Cisse and Zamora cost? Also, over twice as much as Billy Sharp went for?

Why s it that Derby fans seem to think our players are worth their weight in gold? What has Shackell done since joining to warrant over a 400% increase on his value?

Not an avid poster, due to the fear/annoyance of being rubbished by people who know nothing about me or my far reaching football gossip tentacles!! I do however have fairly concrete sources, (current players) one at Derby and another at Shacks' former club. Football is very small community......

I will not answer any "source?? or source type questions as I have revealed enough..

But a couple of weeks back I donned the long Mac and disguise, and had a footy chat with one of my sources. Even then before this £1m offer had materialised he told me the board at Derby were offering Shackell around to offload him from the wage bill. And now a public bid has been made....

Auction commence.

I still think that Maguire will turn out to be a decent player- just doesn't look like it will be at Derby. You are forgetting Bailey, Brayford, Naylor, Fielding, Theo and Ward which were all brought in for about the money you are talking about. But, I didn't say 400k signings did I? If Clough can spend 800k as wisely as he spent on the previous group of players we could be in line for a very good replacement.

You mentioned 4 millon earlier- did you know that is how much Cisse and Zamora cost? Also, over twice as much as Billy Sharp went for?

Why s it that Derby fans seem to think our players are worth their weight in gold? What has Shackell done since joining to warrant over a 400% increase on his value?

Yeah, i mentioned 4 million, just for the fact i wouldnt sell him. Simple, but if you would, then thats your opinion, i just wouldnt, im to much of a fan, and he's such an important player in this side.

Not an avid poster, due to the fear/annoyance of being rubbished by people who know nothing about me or my far reaching football gossip tentacles!! I do however have fairly concrete sources, (current players) one at Derby and another at Shacks' former club. Football is very small community......

I will not answer any "source?? or source type questions as I have revealed enough..

But a couple of weeks back I donned the long Mac and disguise, and had a footy chat with one of my sources. Even then before this £1m offer had materialised he told me the board at Derby were offering Shackell around to offload him from the wage bill. And now a public bid has been made....

Auction commence.

righto

Yeah, i mentioned 4 million, just for the fact i wouldnt sell him. Simple, but if you would, then thats your opinion, i just wouldnt, im to much of a fan, and he's such an important player in this side.

yep, agree to disagree, I see where you are coming from as he is decent.

If only we could find a way to clone Barks and genetically modify them so that their knees are made of steel rather than glass

This is a very tough one to call, I can see it coming down to perspectives...

From the board's - If we can make a clear profit (you would think Barnsley have a sell on clause to take into account) on a player who's wages are amongst the highest in the squad it's good business.

From Nigel's - It'd be stupid to sell your 2nd best centre half (and stand in captain) when your best is injured and will miss an entire season. Especially as you've stated the team requires strengthening in other areas and your 1st choice back four has looked pretty solid for most of the season. Even if you had a replacement in mind there's no way to know for sure (A) you'll be able to sign him ('http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' /> he may turn out to be toss. Remember, Carbonari was meant to be the new Igor...

If it's down to Nigel he'll stay, if it's up to the board to decide he'll go. I for one would keep hold of him...

Archived