Jason Shackell

BorneoRam

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive seen the source, and we paid £1m for him not the £750,000 quoted. That was what was paid by Barnsley for him last season.

I don't think Clough has ever sold a first choice player under a long contract yet, correct me if I'm wrong

That looks like a very telling line given today's story in the DET. I wonder if the original story really did have some basis in truth?

Interest in Shackell does not surprise Clough.

"I think it is inevitable after his good season," said Clough, "and there are not too many centre-halves out there as good as him at this level.

"As always, every bid we receive will be judged on its merit and whether we can get in a replacement.

"If we have not got a replacement lined up and available, then we don't do anything.

Vanilla response from Nigel, basically pooring cold water on it by saying that 'not too many...as good..' 'no replacement lined...we do nothing...'

So one of our players is worth more than we paid for him. The club have received a bid on that basis and turned it down, saying we won't sell anyone unless it for the right price and we have a replacement lined up.

I'm furious, board out clough out.

Does make you wonder what benefit it is to Derby for publishing the bid? Is it to make other clubs interested that we will sell at the right price or is it to let fans know that we don't need to sell players and having a sound financial footing. I wouldn't sell for anything less than £2.5 million, if teams want him, let them pay for wanting him.

Heres a question? Would anyone else sell Shackell for $1.5mill if we replaced him with..

Jasper Gorkks $500k

Scott Sinclair $500k

Shane Long $200k

Amazing to think that there aren't any better players out there, ludicrous in fact.. I rate Shackell, but there is definately better players out there at this level than him who can be bought for less than $1.5mill.. You just have to find them.

As for Theo, why would you be 'gutted' if he left? He's average at best.. If he hadn't scored a mediocre 12 odd goals last season people wouldn't rave about him.. Far better out there aswell.

I understand peoples fustrations in thinking that were a selling club.. But as Abu mentioned, when was the last time we sold someone for a decent fee? Seth Johnson? Over the years we've had the opportunity to sell our players for a decent fee and replace them properly and each time they don't go the same player is sold a year later for absoloute peanuts..

If someone offered anything north of $1.6mill for Shackell we'd be barmy to reject.. The same goes for Theo, if we could get $750k for him that would be amazing.

Heres a question? Would anyone else sell Shackell for $1.5mill if we replaced him with..

Jasper Gorkks $500k

Scott Sinclair $500k

Shane Long $200k

You're talking about signing players that were 1 in 100 signings, they were great buys, but Rogers only knew about Scott Sinclairs ability because he'd worked with him in the past, and probably he was willing to work with Rogers again, we don't have that advantage with Clough trying to wing players from premiership reserves to step down a level.

Can someone please explain to me why a few of you are getting so worked up about all this?

Exactly- we have recieved an offer for our player which we have turned down- there is interest in the three players that we sent out on loan and have basically said theat we are willing to offload them and there has been interest in Theo too. Of course there has, it is widely known that we paid peanuts for him and he has scored 12 goals in his first season, why would there not be?

I wouldn't be looking to sell Shackell but if a decent offer came in then i wouldn't be too bothered-If we sold him for 1.5 mil we could probably replace him for 900k with someone who can actually pass as well as defend. As for Bailey, I would rather keep him then sell but if we can get decent money and invest it I wouldn't be too bothered.

As a previous poster sadi it is nice to have players that other clubs would actually pay money for!

You're talking about signing players that were 1 in 100 signings, they were great buys, but Rogers only knew about Scott Sinclairs ability because he'd worked with him in the past, and probably he was willing to work with Rogers again, we don't have that advantage with Clough trying to wing players from premiership reserves to step down a level.

How much did we buy Idiakez, Rasiak, Bisgaard and T.Smith for?

How much did Wolves buy Hammill, Jarvis, Kightly, E-Banks for?

How much did Reading buy Kitson, Shorey, Long, Doyle, Sidwell, Harper, Sonko for?

They're not all 1 in a 100 players.. There are many out there who are simply better than what we have for alot cheaper.. I'm amazed that people are getting worked up over losing Theo, I mean seriously? Theo..

And if Shackell was that good we wouldn't have been able to get him for $750k.. We could easily get another player of Shacks ability for that kind of money..

By the reaction given you'd think we've got some top top players on our hands going for peanuts.. In fact we've got some average players being talked about with decent money..

Think we paid 100 odd grand for Theo and got work rate and 12 goals out the boy which I think is more than kitson scored since leaving reading and probably more than sicknote sidwell has played games since he left reading. They were average players playing well as a team

I'd be happy with getting £500k for theo if we replaced him with somebody better, which imo, wouldn't be hard. I think he's the most overrated player in our squad by a mile. 12 goals isn't a lot, specially if you count up all the sitters he's missed and subtract that, he'd probably be around -12 goals per season. I hope he proves me wrong, but I think people need to watch other teams rather then just derby if they think he's that good...

Sorry to go off subject btw...erm, woooo, go shackell. Worth £10m, no less!

Don't think theo would go unless it's a midlands club cos wasn't he homesick at Milwall?

Well why would he go from being a first choice striker to probably a benchwarmer at another club he deserves credit cause without his goals we'd of been in a dogfight again at the bottom. We seriously need 1 more striker who can get goals though cause Tyson is a waste of wages ball would be good given a full season bennetts far to young and if s.davies goes were back to square one again uptop. As it looks like maguires got 1 foot out the door.

Think we paid 100 odd grand for Theo and got work rate and 12 goals out the boy which I think is more than kitson scored since leaving reading and probably more than sicknote sidwell has played games since he left reading. They were average players playing well as a team

Are you serious?

The same Kitson that scored over 20 in the NPC and 10 in the PL and then moved onto Stoke for $5mill?

The same Sidwell that was an Arsenal product and the best midfielder in the best team the NPC has ever seen? The one that bagged goals and assists in the PL and helped Reading to 8th place, and the same one who was signed by Mourinho and paid $40k a week?

Both players were signed for peanuts.. They were the subject of good scouting.. You don't have to have played and scored goals at a certain level to be called 'proven'... I bet there a far better players out there than Theo who are playing at a lower level or sitting in the reserves of the PL..

I'm not saying Theo is a poor player, I'm saying that if we sold him for $750k and use that money on a replacement only a fool would bet against the replacement being a better player.

What I was saying is they were good for reading 100percent but they done nothing of note since leaving reading yeah sidearm signed for Chelsea but has done nothing except be injured and kitsons record since leaving must be as good as tysons in the last 3 seasons. People criticise Theo because he misses chances but his work rate and desire is what makes him be in the right place for the chances also I don't think we would of scored as many goals as we did if he wasn't chasing down every aimless long ball and never giving up because let's face it if Davies ran round like that he would be fooked after 15 mins and injured for half the season

Archived