Jason Shackell

BorneoRam

There are two things to consider here which haven't really been mentioned.

If Shackell is sold for a profit, does that mean there is enough space in the wage budget to bring in 2/3 players to improve the squad? It seems that wages are more of a problem for us than fees.

Secondly, since leaving Norwich Shackell hasn't stayed anywhere long, either due to a loan or transfer. Is he just one of those players that moves clubs frequently?

Personally I would not let him go for under £2.5m because he's an important player for us and both he and Barker would need replacing for next season, so no point letting him go unless we get silly money.

However I am not sure what Derby gain by putting this in the public domain. If the club were trying to send out a message to the fans that they are building a squad and are not a selling club then they would have said Shacks is not for sale. But they didn't, they said he could be available for the right price. I fear they are trying to drum up some interest to get a bigger bid as there is no real reason to mention this bid if it has been rejected.

I spose a lot depends upon what the player wants. If his head gets turned by another club then that makes things more difficult.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shackels wages can't be a problem, he was signed under strict wage control rules. So why are his wages suddenly a problem?

I'm not having it, like many have said, yes, the clubs had a bid, it's been turned down, they aren't actively looking to sell him. If a silly price comes in from lesta, he's gone.

That's life now days, unless we get rich stupid owners like lesta, citeh, etc.

Shackels wages can't be a problem, he was signed under strict wage control rules. So why are his wages suddenly a problem?

I'm not having it, like many have said, yes, the clubs had a bid, it's been turned down, they aren't actively looking to sell him. If a silly price comes in from lesta, he's gone.

That's life now days, unless we get rich stupid owners like lesta, citeh, etc.

Another factor could be that he has a clause in his contract relating to offers being put to him....just guessing here, but it wouldn't surprise me that given the low wages we pay some players agents may well insist on the player being told of any interest from other clubs. Might be if an offer of over a £1m comes in the player gets the chance to discuss it?

Makes you wonder if there would be a benefit in selling Shackell and replace him with Chambers on a free? Won player of the season the season before last, before captaincy hindered his form. Maybe give the armband to Fielding or Bryson?

And then from the sale of Shackell you'd have a clear 1.5-2 million to buy a good CF with

I love this forum

The club state that we have received and rejected an offer for Shackell and suddenly his wages become a problem and we are looking to sell.

May I bring the attention of the jury to the recent story in the "news" paper, the Mirror, regarding Said Mr Shackell.

May be the members of the jury should try to forget this publication, and take the news of the offer being rejected in isolation?

No the daily sport

I'd like to say that the Daily Sport is a reliable, informative and highly intelligent newspaper, who's readers are of the same calibre.

[size=2]I only buy it because of boobies - i like boobies [/size]

I love this forum

The club state that we have received and rejected an offer for Shackell and suddenly his wages become a problem and we are looking to sell.

I've had a quick flick through the thread and can't see anyone claiming Shackell's wages are a problem.

I mentioned wages being a problem in general due to our budget, as is common knowledge. My question was can we fit 2 or 3 more players on the wagebill if we sell Shacks, irrespective of the fee recieved?

Didn't Clough say Shackell will be captain next season and the centre halves for next season will be him OB, Buxton and Naylor.

Clough said when Barker was injured a replacement would be looked for. Does this mean we would have to find two if Shackell went. The money not there for one never mind two. If Shackell was sold we would need a Hulse fee to get the CB that we would need.

Not going to happen in my view

Archived