Jason Shackell

BorneoRam

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why? Nigel could of kept him, easily. He thinks that he can improve us with this sale so it's down on him and his staff.

If Shackell hadn't have gone then we would have been stuck with the same squad as last season, with the exception of Chris Maguire.

The squad wouldn't have been improved and we'd have effectively stood still.

If you stand still in football, you move backwards or so the saying goes.

Disappointed to lose such a good defender but it certainly isn't the end of the world.

"we have Jake Buxton, Tom Naylor and Mark O'Brien, who have all proved to be more than capable at performing in the npower Championship."

This is the quote that worries me a lot. It sounds like he is preparing to justify this decision by saying these lads are good enough to start at center back. With all due respect they haven't proved to be more than capable, Obrien was a disaster after a few games and was continually subbed. Buxton scored a goal against forest which made him a hero, however his general weaknesses without a leader at the back are serious. Neither of them have played for more than 1/2 the season and therefore we need two good replacements for the sum of 1.1 million.

I think many are frustrated and are at the end of their tether, I cannot say I blame them and if this season doesn't work out I imagine people's heads will role

If Shackell hadn't have gone then we would have been stuck with the same squad as last season, with the exception of Chris Maguire.

The squad wouldn't have been improved and we'd have effectively stood still.

If you stand still in football, you move backwards or so the saying goes.

Disappointed to lose such a good defender but it certainly isn't the end of the world.

So how is this the boards fault? That was your original point I was disagreeing with.

Nige had the choice, It's down to him and his staff. Nige knew the score, so did we. We could of kept Shackell and replaced out going players (Savies, Bailey, Addison, Croft, Green etc) with similar players on similar fee's and wages. We wouldn't have been stuck with the same squad at all.

I'm not fussed about losing Shackell (bar the fee), It's Nige's call though. Alot of GSE-bashers have come out of the woodwork when nothing has changed board wise, we knew there wouldn't be investment and any funds we would spend would have to come from player sales.

So how is this the boards fault? That was your original point I was disagreeing with.

Nige had the choice, It's down to him and his staff. Nige knew the score, so did we. We could of kept Shackell and replaced out going players (Savies, Bailey, Addison, Croft, Green etc) with similar players on similar fee's and wages. We wouldn't have been stuck with the same squad at all.

I'm not fussed about losing Shackell (bar the fee), It's Nige's call though. Alot of GSE-bashers have come out of the woodwork when nothing has changed board wise, we knew there wouldn't be investment and any funds we would spend would have to come from player sales.

It's their fault for not giving him any money to work with at all.

How much do you think those players would have generated? Green went on a free, Croft has gone out on loan. So there's Davies and Addison to command fees. I'm unsure whether those two would generate as much cash as what Shackell has done on his own. That's my view.

SillyBilly

Building a team around the bloke a year ago to flogging him at not much more than cost price. Sickening.

Archived