Jason Shackell

BorneoRam

Hang about, has Shackell accepted the contract yet?

If it is £1.1m, it's pretty depressing. If he accepts the contract, he's a journeyman. Better off without him, we need a stable base not players looking to move on every season.

After Clough basically saying we are selling you.... Yeah, I would expect Shackell to be only delighted to leave this ship.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1.1 million, derby are becoming a joke!, last week Appleby was talking about the Premier League and now we sold our Captain, the heart of our defence and for what about 250k profit, brilliant derby bloody brilliant,

Clough the moron hasn't helped this situation either by constantly saying that we are intrested in selling and so on, in my eyes if clough can't see him as a key player and sell him even though "we don't need to sell players for money", then he can go to!

I like what GSE are doing commericaly and with our finances but is it worth it for 250k?, i don't think so.

GSE and the clueless Clough out!!

Oh dear.

Because Jason Shackell is a Championship defender. Nothing more, nothing less. He's good, yes and I'd have hoped we'd have held out for more but I can certainly see the logic of selling him.

Agree about not having too much room to manoeuvre. Perhaps we could have squeezed another couple of £100k out of Burnley or perhaps they, like us, are playing hard ball when it comes to transfer deals because there's little cash around.

I don't agree that he's making it more difficult than it needs to be. If anything he's making it easier. Perhaps with supporters it's making it more difficult but in terms of the overall strength of the squad, I think we'll be in a better position by the end of this summer than last.

Just my view on it all. I can understand fans being disgruntled with selling one of the better players but I can also see why he has been sold. In an ideal world, we would have kept Shackell and Clough would have been given a decent budget to get this bloody striker but this is the situation we're in and the sooner fans accept that this is where we are then the better.

I'm sure we'd have all said Grant Holt was just a League One striker, nothing more, nothing less a few years ago. Look at him now. There's nothing to say Shackell couldn't perform well in the Premier League in the future.

Like I said, I could understand the move if we recouped millions and made a significant profit but it's like what, £350k? For a proven defender at this level who is being courted by numerous clubs, it just seems very disappointing.

How is making your squad considerably weaker with an already limited budget making his situation any easier?

I can accept the situation but until we are flying high in the top six, I will struggle to understand it.

Fair enough they sold a player, the thing that annoys me is clough keeps talking about a core to the team you'd think shackle would have been part of that core. We're now left with no centre backs that are experienced at this level, what kind of core is that?

Fair enough they sold a player, the thing that annoys me is clough keeps talking about a core to the team you'd think shackle would have been part of that core. We're now left with no centre backs that are experienced at this level, what kind of core is that?

clough hasent got a clue or the b***s to argue with the board i think he is a littel puppy diffrence from his father

He has been a loanee or free trasfer all his career.

Sorry for posting a link, but if you try to save it the details go all over the place

[url=http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=34464]http://www.soccerbas...player_id=34464

He has been a loanee or free trasfer all his career.

Sorry for posting a link, but if you try to save it the details go all over the place

[url=http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=34464]http://www.soccerbas...player_id=34464

Still doesn't change the fact he's had 2 very good years at L1 level and now 2 very solid years at this level. He's going to cost some money now. For a centre back he's still pretty young and inexperienced with lots of room for improvement. Theres potential for him to become an established player at this level and Cov know this, they won't let him go for nothing. (As seen with their transfer bid rejections).

in my opinion he will accept the contract becuase if a club sell you thats what you do, its pretty much forcing him to sign the contract so i wouldn't call him a journeyman, its not like he wanted to leave or put in a transfer request

After Clough basically saying we are selling you.... Yeah, I would expect Shackell to be only delighted to leave this ship.

Clough's been honest about the situation. They have a figure in mind (£1.1m seems a bit small to me) and this game is a business. We accepted a bid for Hulse (Middlesbrough) but he didn't go.

Shackell's not stopped at one club for long since signing for Wolves in 2008. Admittedly it didn't go well for him there and he went out on loan both seasons, signed for Barnsley for 1 year, then Derby for 1 year??

He's gotta sign the contract yet, probably will though he doesn't stick around. I prefer players who stick around for the long term, bye Shacks.

Guys remember how sneaky the americans have been before. who's to say the deal isn't close to 2 million but derby will not want to reveal to other clubs what sort of a budget they really have so it doesn't force up the prices on potential targets. It is a disappointing decision to sell one of our best players but if he found shackell for under a million then he can find a similar replacement with share cash for a striker.

Still doesn't change the fact he's had 2 very good years at L1 level and now 2 very solid years at this level. He's going to cost some money now. For a centre back he's still pretty young and inexperienced with lots of room for improvement. Theres potential for him to become an established player at this level and Cov know this, they won't let him go for nothing. (As seen with their transfer bid rejections).

You are wrong mate, they are owned by SISU, remember them, venture capitalists, tried to buy us

Hang about, has Shackell accepted the contract yet?

If it is £1.1m, it's pretty depressing. If he accepts the contract, he's a journeyman. Better off without him, we need a stable base not players looking to move on every season.

So if he takes more money from a club instead of staying at a club who want to sell him he is a jouneyman? Why would anyone stay at the workplace they are currently at if that happened

You are wrong mate, they are owned by SISU, remember them, venture capitalists, tried to buy us

What am I wrong about? Letting him go for peanuts?

They have already rejected an 800k bid.. what makes you think we can get him for cheaper?!

as fans we always expect far too much loyalty from fans, like because fans love a club and pay a ticket price they are owed a duty from the player,

would you be as concerned if the pension manager of your private pension left or the gas engineer for british gas.

just as a side thought if derby raised the average ticket price per game from the est £12 close to £15-£20 then maybe as a club they could afford to keep there best players and progress

So if he takes more money from a club instead of staying at a club who want to sell him he is a jouneyman? Why would anyone stay at the workplace they are currently at if that happened

Post #929

Football is a business, players know that, they know they're going to have a price tag but they don't have to leave.

Right... so they are willing to cash in on him.. but have rejected a written offer of 800k... so you believe we can get him for cheaper?

Reading the article and their fans' views he's their prize asset as far as their team goes, theres no way we can get him "cheap", especially with other teams being interested.

Clough's been honest about the situation. They have a figure in mind (£1.1m seems a bit small to me) and this game is a business. We accepted a bid for Hulse (Middlesbrough) but he didn't go.

Shackell's not stopped at one club for long since signing for Wolves in 2008. Admittedly it didn't go well for him there and he went out on loan both seasons, signed for Barnsley for 1 year, then Derby for 1 year??

He's gotta sign the contract yet, probably will though he doesn't stick around. I prefer players who stick around for the long term, bye Shacks.

Told ya it would be the players fault by the end of this, I didnt think anyone would be serious though 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/huh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':huh:' />

Right... so they are willing to cash in on him.. but have rejected a written offer of 800k... so you believe we can get him for cheaper?

Reading the article and their fans' views he's their prize asset as far as their team goes, theres no way we can get him "cheap", especially with other teams being interested.

Where do you get the800k from, no one in Coventry seems to know about it, don't you think they would have said so in the forum ???

Told ya it would be the players fault by the end of this, I didnt think anyone would be serious though 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/huh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':huh:' />

I'm not saying anyone is at fault, but if a player only stays for one season I haven't got much time for that player. Just my opinion.

5 teams in 4 years, 2 were on loan but 3 in 5 is a bit much. Still, he could reject the contract.

Archived