Jason Shackell

BorneoRam

What I was getting at was you even thinking a player as good could be bought for 2/3 Shackells price, that all.

I believe that for the most part you get what you pay for, of course there are exceptions but rare. I think we are in agreement really.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A premier league team is simply one that plays there.. We are not a PL team, and have only played there once in the past 11 years.. The size of the club doesn't matter, Villareal in indeed a very small club with attendances of 18k and a city popultion about the size of Chesterfield..But they're hugely known across world football and have had big stars and amazing players play for them...

...in the Segunda Division! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

I take what Cisse says, we are a big club and you can't argue with that. But what does being big actually mean, apart from being well-supported, in modern football? Absolutely nothing. A so-called 'small club' just as you say can come along and nick any player at Derby County, Leeds United, or Sheffield Wednesday.

English football fans' obsession with club size is ridiculous. It means so little now. Ok, if two clubs are offering the same player the same money, the same length of contract and both have decent teams, club size may be the next factor for the player but it very rarely counts for anything.

I want to gorge my eyes out with a rusty spoon when Sheffield Wednesday is referred to as a "sleeping giant with massive potential". Change the record, media.

I believe that for the most part you get what you pay for, of course there are exceptions but rare. I think we are in agreement really.

Indeed we are.

I do get tired of this "In Go sorry Clough we trust " malarky at times, he makes as many f/ups as he gets right.

What do Crewe do with the money they make from sales?

Scour Cheshire, Merseyside and Greater Manchester for raw talent, polish them up, flog em to the highest bidder and find more young lads hoping to find what Nigel would call a 'core team' in the process. Hope it works for us 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':unsure:' />

A premier league team is simply one that plays there.. We are not a PL team, and have only played there once in the past 11 years.. The size of the club doesn't matter, Villareal in indeed a very small club with attendances of 18k and a city popultion about the size of Chesterfield..But they're hugely known across world football and have had big stars and amazing players play for them...

Derby aren't a big club, I'm sorry to break that to you.. We're big in comparison to Torquay, but we're small in comparison to the PL.. There isn't a single PL club who couldn't cherry pick our best players.. Stoke have a transfer record of $10mill plus and have bought leading players, our record is $3.5mill on Robbie Earnshaw.. That shows what we're all about.. If we went up I'd expect us to do a Norwich and cherrypick the best from the NPC..

Back to the Burnley/Derby debate.. However you look at it Cisse for Shacks going to Burnley it's a step up.. He'll have more money and a better chance of winning promotion.. Winning trophies 40 years ago or having 5k more fans in a stadium aren't the priorities of why a footballer chooses a club.. All it is is the bull that is spilled out at the conference (when a player signs) to make out he cares about the club and for the fans to warm to the player..

We are a potential PL club.Stadium,Ground and a bigger average attendance than half the clubs in the PL.We ought to be there.

Clough has said that he has a neutral transfer budget so without selling he can't buy. Without selling Shackell we can forget about a new striker.

Shackell is a very good defender at this level but isn't irreplaceable. If we can replace Shackell without leaving too big a gap in quality and get a striker then the team will be better off IMO. I'm imaging that's where Clough is coming from.

that would be true if Barker was fit, which he isn't. There is no-one to fill either of those two on a basis which could last 1/3-1/2 of the season. Basically we have to buy a new center back partnership and one center back has to be experienced, good and proven at this level and a leader. It is rare you find one or two of those for less than 1.5 million. Then we have to fill the 12 goal hole which steve davies will leave, that will take at least 600k, so we have to find 1-2 center backs on 600k with little wages to play with.

Clough has said that he has a neutral transfer budget so without selling he can't buy. Without selling Shackell we can forget about a new striker.

Shackell is a very good defender at this level but isn't irreplaceable. If we can replace Shackell without leaving too big a gap in quality and get a striker then the team will be better off IMO. I'm imaging that's where Clough is coming from.

If that's the case, why on earth would £1.1m be an acceptable offer? Surely if he needs to sell and there's several clubs interested, we'd be pushing for more than that.

I never said he was irreplaceable but in the circumstances we have hardly given ourselves a great deal of room to manoevre in finding that replacement.

By all means if he unearths this elusive top striker and a replacement for Shackell after this, I'll be among the first to shower Clough with praise.

But sometimes I think he makes his job much more difficult than it really needs to be. This situation is like climbing into an F1 car blindfolded and expecting to win a Grand Prix.

Do we really need to go in to why this is the case?

Trace back our history, season by season, and do the same with Stoke. Don't stop until you get to the mid 1990s.

Then you'll get your answer.

Do we really need to go in to why this is the case?

Trace back our history, season by season, and do the same with Stoke. Don't stop until you get to the mid 1990s.

Then you'll get your answer.

I know pretty much why we are in the position that we are. I have also followed doings of Stoke from mid 80's quite closely.

What I meant was that with our fan base, stadium and other resources we should be able to be a Premier team as well as Stoke, Norwich or Swansea. If we had good enough a board with good enough manager we would be there.

The way things are now I doubt that we are in the Premier before next decade. Perhaps not even then. But at that time I will be even more senile so it won't matter.

If that's the case, why on earth would £1.1m be an acceptable offer? Surely if he needs to sell and there's several clubs interested, we'd be pushing for more than that.

I never said he was irreplaceable but in the circumstances we have hardly given ourselves a great deal of room to manoevre in finding that replacement.

By all means if he unearths this elusive top striker and a replacement for Shackell after this, I'll be among the first to shower Clough with praise.

But sometimes I think he makes his job much more difficult than it really needs to be. This situation is like climbing into an F1 car blindfolded and expecting to win a Grand Prix.

Because Jason Shackell is a Championship defender. Nothing more, nothing less. He's good, yes and I'd have hoped we'd have held out for more but I can certainly see the logic of selling him.

Agree about not having too much room to manoeuvre. Perhaps we could have squeezed another couple of £100k out of Burnley or perhaps they, like us, are playing hard ball when it comes to transfer deals because there's little cash around.

I don't agree that he's making it more difficult than it needs to be. If anything he's making it easier. Perhaps with supporters it's making it more difficult but in terms of the overall strength of the squad, I think we'll be in a better position by the end of this summer than last.

Just my view on it all. I can understand fans being disgruntled with selling one of the better players but I can also see why he has been sold. In an ideal world, we would have kept Shackell and Clough would have been given a decent budget to get this bloody striker but this is the situation we're in and the sooner fans accept that this is where we are then the better.

Because Jason Shackell is a Championship defender. Nothing more, nothing less. He's good, yes and I'd have hoped we'd have held out for more but I can certainly see the logic of selling him.

Agree about not having too much room to manoeuvre. Perhaps we could have squeezed another couple of £100k out of Burnley or perhaps they, like us, are playing hard ball when it comes to transfer deals because there's little cash around.

I don't agree that he's making it more difficult than it needs to be. If anything he's making it easier. Perhaps with supporters it's making it more difficult but in terms of the overall strength of the squad, I think we'll be in a better position by the end of this summer than last.

Just my view on it all. I can understand fans being disgruntled with selling one of the better players but I can also see why he has been sold. In an ideal world, we would have kept Shackell and Clough would have been given a decent budget to get this bloody striker but this is the situation we're in and the sooner fans accept that this is where we are then the better.

but it the fans that pays the wages and we should have our say it hurt watching your team play crap and loosing week in week out

are we a big club though big clubs dont go and sell there best players the build around them division 1 i am affraid

Thats club policy at the moment it appears this is the decision made by the manager and board.But dont forget

the CLUB is bigger than them so yes we are a big club.

I am not questioning his playing record, or what he is worth, i am just saying if we want to buy him we will have to pay £1m.

We wont, I do not know where you get your figures from, but in the Coventry Telegraph, they are saying that they will be lucky to get 300k

1.1 million, derby are becoming a joke!, last week Appleby was talking about the Premier League and now we sold our Captain, the heart of our defence and for what about 250k profit, brilliant derby bloody brilliant,

Clough the moron hasn't helped this situation either by constantly saying that we are intrested in selling and so on, in my eyes if clough can't see him as a key player and sell him even though "we don't need to sell players for money", then he can go to!

I like what GSE are doing commericaly and with our finances but is it worth it for 250k?, i don't think so.

GSE and the clueless Clough out!!

Hang about, has Shackell accepted the contract yet?

If it is £1.1m, it's pretty depressing. If he accepts the contract, he's a journeyman. Better off without him, we need a stable base not players looking to move on every season.

in my opinion he will accept the contract becuase if a club sell you thats what you do, its pretty much forcing him to sign the contract so i wouldn't call him a journeyman, its not like he wanted to leave or put in a transfer request

Archived