Jason Shackell

BorneoRam

Yeah was going to say, we'll get reported to the FA for being a WUM if we offer 200k....

It's going to be a million for Keogh I reckon. It would just be nice to know how much we've agreed to sell Shackell for.

Tell me then WHY he is worth any more ??

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to wonder what is going through Clough’s head at this point. I don’t see the logic at all.

I can be sympathetic to Barker’s long-term injury or Steve Davies turning down a new contract and wanting to leave. Losing your captain and leading goalscorer is hard to stomach at any level. But it makes his lack of resistance to selling Shackell, without doubt our best player, just seem baffling and very myopic. Shackell and Barker were supposed to be our centre back pairing for years to come but instead it’s feasible that we might never see either of them in a Derby shirt again.

I could perhaps understand the move if we were due to receive several million for Shackell and then would later reinvest all the money back into the playing squad. But if it is just £1.1 million as reported by several sources including the BBC, how can anyone be confident going forward? Clough hasn't got an impeccable transfer record here after all, quite the opposite.

£1.1 million? It doesn’t even look like Clough or the board put up a fight. For me, it signals deeper problems that we're clearly not aware of. Clough was given all this time and patience to put together his own squad with his own stamp on it. But now all of sudden he’s frantically dismantling the squad he built to start all over again?

Unless I need a new pair of glasses and the headline on BBC Sport actually read ‘Derby accept £11 million Shackell bid’ instead, this doesn’t look good to me…

once a new signing is made they will come out with a statement such as, selling jason allowed us to sign xxxx with also funds going towards xxxxxx

Im shocked by this, however people are forgetting one thing WE decided to sell him, with EVERY statement coming out of the club being about having to sell to strengthen we cant really all get mardy until we see what gets done with the money!!

What are the rangers cb doing at the moment??

When the club like us loses their best defender to a club like Burnley I consider it as a disgrace.

Why do you think that?

Burnley look to be going places, we don't.. Take out the stadium size, how many fans each team gets etc.. And what difference is there between Burnley and Derby?.. The difference is one team has $7mill to spend and is looking for promotion this season and the other is only interested in buying and promoting youths and only hopes for a miracle promotion..

Burnley currently have far more chance of promotion than Derby, and they're willing to pay Shacks more money than Derby.. It's an absolute no-brainer.. What would be more far-fetched is us buying a Burnley player and offering him less money..

Players are only interested in money and the PL (which go hand in hand) and they're not stupid enough to not know where a club is heading... Shacks knows we're only destined for midtable at best and we're building, Burnley are going for promotion.. We're at different stages..

Tell me then WHY he is worth any more ??

Because he's had 2 good seasons in a very poor team, winning player of the season accolades from both fans and players.

That doesn't automatically mean he's worth X amount but after Bristol City offering 250k (Rejected) and Cardiff 800k (Rejected) why on earth would they even consider looking at a 200k offer? Sillyness.

In my mind we are supposed to be a Premier League team. If teams like Stoke can get to play Europe and we lose our best players to relatively small clubs there is something fundamentally wrong somewhere.

Because he's had 2 good seasons in a very poor team, winning player of the season accolades from both fans and players.

That doesn't automatically mean he's worth X amount but after Bristol City offering 250k (Rejected) and Cardiff 800k (Rejected) why on earth would they even consider looking at a 200k offer? Sillyness.

He has been a loanee or free trasfer all his career.

Sorry for posting a link, but if you try to save it the details go all over the place

[url=http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=34464]http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=34464

You can not be flipping serious, honestly admit it, you are having a laugh ??

Yes. I believe £1mill min. I put 700k as I was trying to balance out the fee! Seriously would take a minor miracle to get anything of an improvement for under 1mill...

In my mind we are supposed to be a Premier League team. If teams like Stoke can get to play Europe and we lose our best players to relatively small clubs there is something fundamentally wrong somewhere.

I'm no happier than most others about this but you can't ignore our post-Wembley history. We're staring down the barrel of a gun financially. The thing that's fundamentally wrong is that we can't compete with many other clubs because we're skint. So, if we can make a few £100k on a player, NC has to take it. He'll be hoping that Bennett or Hughes make the big time.

it's going to be a long process. I'd be surprised if we improve much next season.

I've been watching the Rams since 1963. I don't regard us as a Premiership Club at the moment. It's not easy to take, but it's reality.

Do we really need to go in to why this is the case?

Trace back our history, season by season, and do the same with Stoke. Don't stop until you get to the mid 1990s.

Then you'll get your answer.

A premier league team is simply one that plays there.. We are not a PL team, and have only played there once in the past 11 years.. The size of the club doesn't matter, Villareal in indeed a very small club with attendances of 18k and a city popultion about the size of Chesterfield..But they're hugely known across world football and have had big stars and amazing players play for them...

Derby aren't a big club, I'm sorry to break that to you.. We're big in comparison to Torquay, but we're small in comparison to the PL.. There isn't a single PL club who couldn't cherry pick our best players.. Stoke have a transfer record of $10mill plus and have bought leading players, our record is $3.5mill on Robbie Earnshaw.. That shows what we're all about.. If we went up I'd expect us to do a Norwich and cherrypick the best from the NPC..

Back to the Burnley/Derby debate.. However you look at it Cisse for Shacks going to Burnley it's a step up.. He'll have more money and a better chance of winning promotion.. Winning trophies 40 years ago or having 5k more fans in a stadium aren't the priorities of why a footballer chooses a club.. All it is is the bull that is spilled out at the conference (when a player signs) to make out he cares about the club and for the fans to warm to the player..

Yes. I believe £1mill min. I put 700k as I was trying to balance out the fee! Seriously would take a minor miracle to get anything of an improvement for under 1mill...

What I was getting at was you even thinking a player as good could be bought for 2/3 Shackells price, that all.

You have to wonder what is going through Clough’s head at this point. I don’t see the logic at all.

Clough has said that he has a neutral transfer budget so without selling he can't buy. Without selling Shackell we can forget about a new striker.

Shackell is a very good defender at this level but isn't irreplaceable. If we can replace Shackell without leaving too big a gap in quality and get a striker then the team will be better off IMO. I'm imaging that's where Clough is coming from.

I'm only trying to avoid a bit of the hysteria people are working themselves into over this. I'll be around more again in few days (I hope).

Hysteria!how long have you been a Ram Martyn?This is just close season whinging,happens every seaon and again

at mid-season.Just enjoy it .Better than Wimbledon and the crickets rained off. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wub' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wub:' />

Clough has said that he has a neutral transfer budget so without selling he can't buy. Without selling Shackell we can forget about a new striker.

Shackell is a very good defender at this level but isn't irreplaceable. If we can replace Shackell without leaving too big a gap in quality and get a striker then the team will be better off IMO. I'm imaging that's where Clough is coming from.

I'd be more interested if it said where Clough was going to. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

Archived