If we want to get promoted...

-JW-

Do you think it would be beneficial for the club to get relegated first? Sounds silly yes, but think about.

We have not been used to regularly winning games and regularly playing well for a long long time now. If you look at teams like Norwich and Southampton, who were mid table in the championship for a number of years, went down for one season then came straight back up and are doing brilliantly now. As well as those Forest and Leicester both made the play offs when they came back up.

Obviously it's never nice to get relegated, but could a stint in league 1 do us a favour and get us back playing well and winning games? I would much rather see the club go down for one year and come back a much better team and compete with the top teams in the championship, rather than staying in this league for years to come finishing in the bottom half year after year playing dire football. What do you think?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We could go down and never return. Or we could become a League One / Championship yo-yo club (Wednesday).

Relegation is never a solution to a problem. We've got rid of a lot of dead wood, now to build on it.

I cant see us building on it under this system. IMO the only way this club can improve is either a new board, a new manager or relegation.

I prefer the old fashioned way of getting promoted, 'ya-know.. amassing more points over a season then all the other teams in the same league (possibly with the exception of one or five if we go up via the play-offs).

But hey, ... I'm a dinosaur!

Not really sure how you think getting relegated would help us?

By getting used to winning games and playing well like Norwich and Southampton have done. We are heading nowhere at the moment in this league. It'll be short term pain but long term gain.

We're not going to get 3-4 proper signings.

I know. But we should. And I don't mean signings that would cost us millions. There are a lot of good players that are not recognised world wide. But we mostly look players from England and Scotland and they tend to be a bit pricey. We should scout places like Romania, Poland, Norway and so on.

We have had spells of winning games this season

Hmmm 4 games on the spin followed by 4 defeats on the spin. The season is so predictable something has to change. I'm not anti Clough or anti GSE i'm just stating my opinion on how the club can be a success in the future.

I know. But we should. And I don't mean signings that would cost us millions. There are a lot of good players that are not recognised world wide. But we mostly look players from England and Scotland and they tend to be a bit pricey. We should scout places like Romania, Poland, Norway and so on.

You're spot on, we should be scouting those places, but the board and Clough are too stubborn and they have admitted that they have no budget and are focused on developing our youngsters.

But su

Hmmm 4 games on the spin followed by 4 defeats on the spin. The season is so predictable something has to change. I'm not anti Clough or anti GSE i'm just stating my opinion on how the club can be a success in the future.

I just don't understand how getting relegated will help though. If we win 4 on the bounce in this division and can't build on it, how will winning 4 on the bounce in League One be any different?

You're spot on, we should be scouting those places, but the board and Clough are too stubborn and they have admitted that they have no budget and are focused on developing our youngsters.

A good scouting would cost us less than the Maguire deal.

But su

I just don't understand how getting relegated will help though. If we win 4 on the bounce in this division and can't build on it, how will winning 4 on the bounce in League One be any different?

There is no difference mate, we would not lose as many games in league 1, it's about winning consistently and putting in good performances week in week out unlike we are doing now.

Archived