If we want to get promoted...

-JW-

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonder who many people would go to see Derby County v Cheltenham Town on a rainy, cold January night at PP?

To follow JW's logic, and I can see his point even if I don't agree with it, the aim is to generate momentum and a winning mentality (neither of which we have had under this board and manager0, which can then be taken into the Championship.

Carrying this logic forward cumbrian, I'd rather watch Cheltenham on a rain, cold January night at PP when we are up the top of the laeague, winning games and playing good football than watching Reading on a cold February night and arriving at the ground feeling (and subequently being right) that we're going to lose.

the only benefit of getting relegated would be the probable sacking of the manager.

I think we should sack Clough at 1500 today and get Villas Boas. He could then bring some of his favourite players from Porto and Chelsea to Pride Park. If we get relegated, well at least we'll have given it a try and presumably, we'll have spent no more money than we have with Clough so we will still be financially sound. If we then decide to sack AVB we can put in Capello or Mourinho for a while before we sack them too. That's the way to run a Club. No wonder everyone's complaining.

It would be a disaster.

We'd have even less money to spend, probably an even more unproven manager in charge, gates would be down, there'd probably be 18/19,000 rattling round the ground (probably 14,000 on a midweek night).

As things stand we can't afford to spend any decent amount of money, so how would we be able to in the division below? There's absolutely nothing to suggest we'd go on a winning run. We might lose less games than we are doing at the moment but I wouldn't necessarily describe that as momentum.

Clubs of a similar size to us (Wednesday, Leeds, forest) have been there and not cracked it first time round. I'm not sure what makes people think we would, never mind then going on to push for promotion to the Premiership.

Whether you like what's happening at the moment or not, I'd rather have a couple of seasons like this whilst we get more youth players developed and have a team for the future than get relegated, and need to sign half a team of journeymen to try and get us out of the league which may or may not work.

Be very careful what you wish for.

As has been said before when this pops up, Leicester and them all had considerable investment to get those winning runs in the first place. Where's that going to come from for us? The nays have it, relegation would not help us at all. We'd fall into the League 1 pack and possibly drop even further, I remember Forest had a few very indifferent seasons in League 1 before they came up by the skin of their teeth. Worse still were Leeds, was it five years they spent down? I don't think the fans would be patient enough, the turnover would plummet, we'd have to consider selling the ground like Leeds did to raise cash.

Archived