Naylor set for first start?

-JW-

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, I'm surprised with this. Usually if Clough has his heart set on playing someone he sticks to it whatever the cost. Maybe he's finally realised that Green got raped by Leicester's Left winger on Thursday and its not working. Ah, its nice that Clough is making, what I would call, the correct decision for once...Welldone Nige!

I know Green has played out of position at RB but he can play there. In respect of Naylor some moan about players coming from non-league into the team. Naylor is what 20 with not much experience, learning to play at a higher level and the expectations of playing at this level and the demands on a player.

Against Leicester he would have faced Dyer who is very good at this level, is quick and damages a lot of teams in this division. Now Clough has to decide does he play a 20yr old who has never played at this level in a position he is learning (as I should imagine he will be backup in that position and/or left back) against a player like that OR he plays an international standard player who can play that position if required and use his experience and knowledge against a player like Dyer.

I think Greenie was the best option however Greenie did not work out and I don't think that this was totally down to him playing RB I think it was down to he could not tackle (look at Beckford 2nd half), He was flat footed, could not pass and definately could not shoot, Greenie just had a bad day at the office and it cost us.

Clough did see however when a player is having a bad day at the office and if that player is out of position it does have more of an impact. Naylor is a defender but is he ready. I think also putting Naylor into a derby game at home could have broken him as we as fans can get on the back of players especially if they have come from a lower division. If he had a mare at home would he be given a chance by the fans in future games?

I agree with Clough if he is training well and coming along then give him a go and Birmingham away would be a good one. Tough opposition and the pressure of playing away is different to playing at home in front of 25000 home fans

Completely agree, though I think Birmingham isn't the right game either, they lost at home last week n I think they will come out fired up and may attack Naylor from the off, if he has a torrid first 5 10 mins then he could be damaged!!

Start with green and bring Naylor on as a sub... Ease him into the start

I know Green has played out of position at RB but he can play there. In respect of Naylor some moan about players coming from non-league into the team. Naylor is what 20 with not much experience, learning to play at a higher level and the expectations of playing at this level and the demands on a player.

Against Leicester he would have faced Dyer who is very good at this level, is quick and damages a lot of teams in this division. Now Clough has to decide does he play a 20yr old who has never played at this level in a position he is learning (as I should imagine he will be backup in that position and/or left back) against a player like that OR he plays an international standard player who can play that position if required and use his experience and knowledge against a player like Dyer.

I think Greenie was the best option however Greenie did not work out and I don't think that this was totally down to him playing RB I think it was down to he could not tackle (look at Beckford 2nd half), He was flat footed, could not pass and definately could not shoot, Greenie just had a bad day at the office and it cost us.

Clough did see however when a player is having a bad day at the office and if that player is out of position it does have more of an impact. Naylor is a defender but is he ready. I think also putting Naylor into a derby game at home could have broken him as we as fans can get on the back of players especially if they have come from a lower division. If he had a mare at home would he be given a chance by the fans in future games?

I agree with Clough if he is training well and coming along then give him a go and Birmingham away would be a good one. Tough opposition and the pressure of playing away is different to playing at home in front of 25000 home fans

Good points there Rothers about the dilemma facing managers. Naylor could have come in, had a blinder and Clough would be praised. Then again, he could have had a stinker and the manager would have been vilified.

At the moment, he might as well gamble as nowt seems to be working anyway.

That is pretty much what Clough has said. They took the safety option first in Green that did not work out and now is the time to let Naylor have a go. I really hope it works out for him. I also hope it works out and that they are looking at him to replace Roberts at LB in the long term. He is young and with time can be trained to cover that position.

. He's not a left back. Looks to me like a centre back who could fill in at right back at a push. Doesn't go forward that much and will need to improve that side of his game. Scholsey ie Connolly looks much more a full back to me who can also go forward. Square pegs in round holes commes to mind.

squares pegs will always be found whilst transfer funds are not available. It seems so tight this year that we can not even fund loans.

This whole 'Green can play RB' had he ever played there for us or any other club before Nigel came along? I don't even rate the guy as a Right Mid. He's a Centre Mid and is constantly moved due to his willingness to try and play in whatever role he's given. Nigel said that Green took that second or two too long with his chance against Leicester and that it was down to confidence, hmmm that or he's not playing in the role where he get's in those positions as often and so it's not coming as 2nd nature to him at the moment.

Green is not a right back

Carroll is not a right winger

Bailey is not a right winger

Hendrick is not a right winger

Moan about money if you want but the last few games we've had £850k worth of talent that can't make the bench. If we have little in the way of funds then why are we wasting it on players to play in the reserves? Why are we loaning another Centre Mid when we have out own and not a right back? I'm sure we could afford another loan and the owners haven't blocked that.

This whole 'Green can play RB' had he ever played there for us or any other club before Nigel came along? I don't even rate the guy as a Right Mid. He's a Centre Mid and is constantly moved due to his willingness to try and play in whatever role he's given. Nigel said that Green took that second or two too long with his chance against Leicester and that it was down to confidence, hmmm that or he's not playing in the role where he get's in those positions as often and so it's not coming as 2nd nature to him at the moment.

Doyle is not a right winger

Ben Davies is not a Right Winger

Moan about money if you want but the last few games we've had £850k worth of talent that can't make the bench. If we have little in the way of funds then why are we wasting it on players to play in the reserves? Why are we loaning another Centre Mid when we have out own and not a right back? I'm sure we could afford another loan and the owners haven't blocked that.

Fixed it

Green played right back quite a few tiimes at Donny.

"Green is not a right back

Doyle is not a right winger

Ben Davies is not a Right Winger

"

In fairness, some of them struggle to actually be footballers....

Tom Naylors first position is centre back, just so that's clear.

Like Paul Green, he can fill in at right back...like Shaun Barker also at right back, and Jason Shackell at left back.

He's played as right back in the reserve fixtures and done well. I would add the point that he had Barker and Riggott alongside him for a while which probably helped him.

The one thing that is for sure is that Green at right back doesn't work.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived