A cheap shot

Dangerous

I don't think abuse or booing ever helps.

I don't think the boos at HT v Leicester brought about that second half improvement either.

I leave my misery on here. Get all my concerns out and then sing my heart out at a match. I think the right noises could bring about better performances than the wrong noises if loud enough.

Plus, I don't often think the team lack effort. That's the only time I'd boo.

V Leicester for example I thought the effort was fine. The tempo (which fans CAN effect) was terrible, the decision making was painful to watch, and the confidence (as always this season) was non-existent.

It's easy to mistake effort for tempo/confidence. Derby not attacking is also not down to a lack of effort IMO. That comes from half a season of "clean sheet" , "not lose" and "we'll take a scrappy 1-0 here".

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone bought the issue of loyalty into the discussion so I thought I'd define that particular word.

I wouldn't ever include booing into the definition of loyalty, quite the opposite. The definition of booing is enshrouded in hate, and rarely has a positive outcome.

I think it's disloyal. Showing a lack of love for your team.

But each to their own.

I'm basically trying to gauge perception, and how can they possibly believe that getting on the backs of the squad can be a positive thing. Booing is one of the most disrespectful things you can do to your own team.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booing - Quite a small snippet, but interesting none the less. Interesting in that booing has always been a similar sound since roman times regarding gladiators.

But by doing something so full of emotion i think it shows love, the fact people are frustrated with the one they love is natural and sometimes they need to show it. If you think the fan base of derby isn't loyal after a decade of struggle then your on a drug which quite frankly I am glad I'm not taking. Your definition in my opinion doesn't take out the possibility of booing or protesting. Booing doesn't show a lack of love or loyalty but a dissapointment in the way the team has performed.

I know what you mean, disappointment grates and one has to release. Although I think that lacks discipline and would rather they kept quiet or released their energy more positively.

I think the fan base of Derby needs to take a break. Chill out for a bit, quit the high expectation levels and get behind them.

I think the problem is Black N whites if it was just one or two seasons of struggle then that would be fair and valid. However derby for this decade has struggled in 8 of those seasons. Nigel has been here 3 years and people see no progress on the pitch, the same excuses and the same promises. I understand those who boo, yes I hope they turn it into something more positive but I don't vilify them or call them disloyal when many have spent a lot of money and time supporting the club.

I don't think abuse or booing ever helps.

I don't think the boos at HT v Leicester brought about that second half improvement either.

I leave my misery on here. Get all my concerns out and then sing my heart out at a match. I think the right noises could bring about better performances than the wrong noises if loud enough.

Plus, I don't often think the team lack effort. That's the only time I'd boo.

V Leicester for example I thought the effort was fine. The tempo (which fans CAN effect) was terrible, the decision making was painful to watch, and the confidence (as always this season) was non-existent.

It's easy to mistake effort for tempo/confidence. Derby not attacking is also not down to a lack of effort IMO. That comes from half a season of "clean sheet" , "not lose" and "we'll take a scrappy 1-0 here".

I don't think he was saying the booing brought about the second half performance, but it was a response to Mrs Ram saying that booing is detrimental, if that was the case then the second half would have been worse, no?

FWIW I thought we came out exactly the same in the second half, but the fans started out on a barmy army chant which I thought (or maybe it was just because I was sat in the middle of it) raised the atmosphere in the stadium and got the players to raise the game considerably (although we still didn't look like scoring).

It's strange different people's perceptions of a game, some looked at the booing at half time and thought the fans were disgraceful, I thought they were quite within their rights to boo at half time after such an unprofessional performance and that the fans actually brought about a positive change.

There were times in the first half when players (was it Wardy) let the ball run out under their foot or someone else was about 3 yards away played a ball out 5 yards behind a player.

What do they expect, fans who are passionate are going to get frustrated, throw their arms up in the air, have a moan, do they expect them to sit there passively and say nowt?

Are these the same people who just sit there with their pack of digestives watching as though they're at the pictures?

I guess I'm just from a different era, when football mattered to people, and it wasn't just a 'matchday experience' of overpriced hot dogs and goal music.

I don't think he was saying the booing brought about the second half performance, but it was a response to Mrs Ram saying that booing is detrimental, if that was the case then the second half would have been worse, no?

FWIW I thought we came out exactly the same in the second half, but the fans started out on a barmy army chant which I thought (or maybe it was just because I was sat in the middle of it) raised the atmosphere in the stadium and got the players to raise the game considerably (although we still didn't look like scoring).

It's strange different people's perceptions of a game, some looked at the booing at half time and thought the fans were disgraceful, I thought they were quite within their rights to boo at half time after such an unprofessional performance and that the fans actually brought about a positive change.

There were times in the first half when players (was it Wardy) let the ball run out under their foot or someone else was about 3 yards away played a ball out 5 yards behind a player.

What do they expect, fans who are passionate are going to get frustrated, throw their arms up in the air, have a moan, do they expect them to sit there passively and say nowt?

Are these the same people who just sit there with their pack of digestives watching as though they're at the pictures?

I guess I'm just from a different era, when football mattered to people, and it wasn't just a 'matchday experience' of overpriced hot dogs and goal music.

Amazing what a bit of support can do int it.

Well if it's your dream to sit in a silent passionless stadium then we're not far away IMO.

Anything but, I support the idea of moving the singing lot into the south stand and ecouraging others who want to support the team to move over there if it gets the go ahead. Flags, scarf waving, individual player songs, team songs and general madness would be a bonus. If that was to be safe standing, even better. Get bouncing!

Silent passionless stadium is what we've got now, part of my thinking regarding this conversation.

Dead against that idea.

It would be difficult to play pedestrian football if the place was rocking.

Also as a player it's easier to forget tired legs if there's some adrenaline in the ground.

Flat atmosphere = Flat performance = flat atmosphere.

PP must be a difficult place to play for these players of limited experience. Vicious circle.

Archived