I think Ward on the left hinders...

rammieib

When Jamie Ward plays on the left I think it hinders us - he comes to deep to collect the ball, very rarely makes runs through and beyond the last defender and he stops Roberts overlapping.

When he moved to the right against Barnsley, not only did that leave Tyson as a threat getting beyond their full back but Roberts came into play much more.

I hope Clough spotted that and goes to a 4-3-3 with Ward and Tyson on the wings on Monday. That formation may not be favourable to some but if allows 3 of 5 in the middle to be picked. (Bailey, Bryson, Carroll, Green and Hendrick). Personally I'd leave the latter two out.

Thoughts?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Ward has been our best player this season playing from the left side so I dont see the point after 30mins of one match to change him. Clough said he prefers playing that side as he can cut in and shoot on his good foot. Also we havent been doing that bad with 442.

ward out, doyle in. simples.

This is an opportunity to leave out Barker and Shackell too. Brayford could replace Fielding, who should start wide right. If we have Doyle on the left as you suggest, that could leave Roberts playing the lone front striker role. It might not be obvious to all but I presume from what you are saying that you have such trust in NC that you would support anything he does?

This is an opportunity to leave out Barker and Shackell too. Brayford could replace Fielding, who should start wide right. If we have Doyle on the left as you suggest, that could leave Roberts playing the lone front striker role. It might not be obvious to all but I presume from what you are saying that you have such trust in NC that you would support anything he does?

BOB BIGGS OUT

Ward hinders us? Really? I am sure that he has been told to hang back a bit recently to protect Roberts a bit more. Would not consider switching sides. Also, Tyson is a striker (apparently) so would not see him being played as a winger (even though he is one).

Didn't Ward switch to the right second half against Barnsley? If thats the case I would go:

........................................................Fielding................................................

Brayford.......................Barker...............................Shackell.................Roberts

..................Hendrick..........................Bryson.......................Carroll..................

Ward...................................................................................................Tyson

...........................................................Ball......................................................

Subs: Legs -Bailey - Buxton - Noble - Naylor

Anyone notice how often Wardy looks over to the bench in a game. Usually when he's made a mistake.

It's a positive thing though, the man obviously rates Clough as a bloke.

I have noticed that mate, I think he and Clough have respect for each other and Nige keeps Jamie's head up when things aren't going well- as soon as his head drops you may as well sub him as he is definitely a confidence player.

I have noticed that mate, I think he and Clough have respect for each other and Nige keeps Jamie's head up when things aren't going well- as soon as his head drops you may as well sub him as he is definitely a confidence player.

You can just see Cloughs words running through his mind.

If Wardy stays at the club for a few years, he'll be a very important member of the squad. Still a young bloke! Obviously important to have squad members that have a lot of respect for the manager.

I remember when Ward first came to Derby, seemed shot of confidence, mumbled through interviews. Now though, he's conducting himself well through interviews and having a joke whilst he's at it.

On top of all that, he's putting himself about during the game. Hindrance, never, our main creative spark.

........................................................Fielding................................................

Brayford.......................Barker...............................Shackell.................Roberts

..................Bryson..........................Bailey.......................Carroll..................

Ward...................................................................................................Tyson

...........................................................Ball......................................................

I thought Bailey was our best player against Stoke - so why eh got dropped was unfair.

For those there on Tuesday - I thoguht Carroll in the second half was running the show. He cannot be dropped.

My team is above is how I'd start but whoever goes out, in a game like this motivation is the word from the off.

I personally don't rate Carroll too much from the Barnsley game. I don't think he's the type of player we need for this game. Doesn't seem to like getting stuck in to the physical side too much, as Bailey has been showing recently.

Only seen him at Barnsley though, so I could be mistaken.

Archived