Footballers Coming out .. (not for a drink)

ramexpat

Read a article this morning by the neice of Justin Fashanu on why her uncle is the one of the only gay footballers to come out (again not for a drink). a quote made by Brian Clough to Justin Fashanu is in the article "'Where do you go if you want a loaf of bread?' I asked him. 'A baker's, I suppose.' 'Where do you go if you want a leg of lamb?' 'A butcher's.' 'So why do you keep going to that bloody poofs' club??

full article here - [url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16722196]http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-16722196

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do they want to announce anything.

They moan if they get abused by fans for being gay, but they got to tell everone though.

I used to watch Bridgend Rugby a lot between 1995-2009, and we all knew Welsh International Gareth Thomas was gay.

It was one of the worse kept secrets in the club, but he still felt the need to come out officially and tell everyone what we'd known for years.

I don't understand the need to come out and announce the fact they are gay, do hetrosexual men have to come out and announce they prefer the ladies? No, what they do in their private life is upto them.

It's just not the same thing.

"Coming out" is always described as a weight lifted being lifted off one's shoulders. Not the same when you tell everyone you're hetrosexual.

In conversation, everyone assumes your hetrosexual. I can imagine why you'd want to tell everyone.

Hiding? Possible but they may also just want to keep their private life out the press which is understandable gay or not. I can't understand why anybody needs to know such information anyway, and why should a person male or females sexuality make the news because they play a popular sport?

It's just not the same thing.

"Coming out" is always described as a weight lifted being lifted off one's shoulders. Not the same when you tell everyone you're hetrosexual.

In conversation, everyone assumes your hetrosexual. I can imagine why you'd want to tell everyone.

I can understand what you are saying but only when telling people close to you like friends and family, not a footballer telling the world.

Let's say that some player would answer, after being asked how will he celebrate a win after, say FA-Cup 4th round match against Derby County that he is going to dine with his boyfriend at a nice restaurant. Next day it would be all over the news that this guy has come out or he has "announced" that he is gay. If the player would say he will do the same with his girlfriend then he ain't announcing anything, he is just answering the question.

If a pop star came out (like George Michael did), nobody bats an eyelid because it's somehow all part of their glam rock & roll lifestyle. If it's a footballer, by some it's percieved as something wrong. The press will hound them to death in such a testosterone fuelled game like football. Even if they say nowt, they only have to be photographed going about their private business with their partner and thats it, it will be sensationalised in the gutter press.

What follows is a non stop barrage of ridicule and that's when the pressure could start to mount.

I don't understand the need to come out and announce the fact they are gay, do hetrosexual men have to come out and announce they prefer the ladies? No, what they do in their private life is upto them.

I imagine they'd rather 'come out' than be snapped with their partner in the paper and get it published. Not the nicest way for their parents/club/fans to find out. And in not coming out, it means they'll probably live a life of secrecy.

If a pop star came out (like George Michael did), nobody bats an eyelid because it's somehow all part of their glam rock & roll lifestyle. If it's a footballer, by some it's percieved as something wrong. The press will hound them to death in such a testosterone fuelled game like football. Even if they say nowt, they only have to be photographed going about their private business with their partner and thats it, it will be sensationalised in the gutter press.

What follows is a non stop barrage of ridicule and that's when the pressure could start to mount.

I can't imagine for a second that the press would hound them if they actually 'came out'. Like Asanovic said though, an 'in the closet' gay would be front page news if he was suddenly photographed humping another man over the bonnet of a vauxhall vectra. It's the chanting in the stands that would be merciless / need to be stamped out very quickly (like it WASN'T for Graeme Le Saux, who got years of grief for simply reading the Guardian, and enjoying a spritzer).

It's clearly not natural anyway, you can't insert a sausage into another sausage.

Archived